Transmission Problem With Chrysler Minivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Problem With Chrysler Minivan

I’ve had terrible with my 2008 Chrysler Minivan. It is less then a year old with only 15,000 miles the transmission has gone out twice! The first time in May 2008 with a little over 11,000 miles it was rebuilt. Now with just 4000 miles later it’s broken down again. This time they are replacing the transmission, and the down time will be over three weeks.

With a C6 injury I have to do car transfers, not a very handy thing too do for over three weeks.

Sorry to hear your luck. I have 41k on my 2003 Chrysler van with no prob.

Pat

www.gofreewheel.com

Comment

little hint for those who have had and those who do not need to have them ,
      #1 as a rule of thumb ALWAYS use your "E-BRAKE" or parking brake first put it into neutral 2nd set the parking or E-brake then finally put the car into park in that order this will allow all of us to avoid unnecessary 2500 dollar repair bills to the tranny in our cars.

#2 if you find it hard to set it every time at LEAST bare minimum when parking on a incline or hill slope.

Comment

Interesting... is there a weak point involving putting it into park? Is there an upgrade? Recall?

Pat

www.gofreewheel.com

Comment

no, it's just that constantly jamming or maybe not even slamming it just putting it into park and out of park especially while on an incline puts A LOT of stress on the tranny so ALWAYS use the security brake. If you pay attention when you pull it out of park a lot of times if your on a hill it will not shift easy, that's the tranny chewing on first gear and unfortunately that gear is also connected with reverse.

Comment

P.S. it is that way on every vehicle on the road today at least the cars and anything that doesn't involve a CDL to drive. lol

Comment

I don't quite understand the need to use the parking brake on an incline. In order to shift the car into drive, you need to depress the brake. By depressing the brake, I would assume that you are relieving any stressors on the tranny. Perhaps the problem encountered is the new 6 speed transmission now offered, as opposed to the more standard 4 speed.
              I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

Chrysler minivans are known to have transmission issues, although occurances are typically every 85000-90000 miles or so. I wonder if lemon laws apply here.

BTW, learning to transfer frequently will be beneficial in the long run, IMO. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by patd View Post
                  Sorry to hear your luck. I have 41k on my 2003 Chrysler van with no prob.

Pat

www.gofreewheel.com
                  Hi Pat,
                  2003 was a long time ago. I use to recommend Chrysler Minivans, but not any more. My 08 has the new 4.0 L with 6 speed auto.
                  The service manager said whey don’t have many problems with them, but my transmission was on national backorder. Then when it came in there were a few transmissions ahead of mine. This is at a small dealer with only four mechanics.
                  When you read between the lines it makes me wonder. What Is Going On?

Comment

Originally posted by petemancw View Post
                    #1 as a rule of thumb ALWAYS use your "E-BRAKE" or parking brake first put it into neutral 2nd set the parking or E-brake then finally put the car into park in that order this will allow all of us to avoid unnecessary 2500 dollar repair bills to the tranny in our cars.

#2 if you find it hard to set it every time at LEAST bare minimum when parking on a incline or hill slope.
                    I have never heard of such a thing. You should never have to use you e-brake with a automatic transmission in a manual yes.
                    Originally posted by fuentejps
                    injecting is way better for your body. but imo opinion its the only safe way

Comment

Hello Harpoon,
                      I'm very sorry to hear about your tranny problems. I had a problem w/the tranny in my 1997. It had to be rebuilt also but has been fine since. Going to be selling it soon as I have a 2007 same make n model n conversion as the ' 97 Dodge Grand Caravan Braun Entervan. So far not any problems with the tranny but I do hear a whining sound so it makes me wonder if there is an issue w/the tranny in the 2007. I'm going to get it checked while it's still under manufacturers warranty.

I would make the dealer rent you an equivalent vehicle of what you have now since you've had problems twice w/ the tranny in your 2008 van. That is rediculous that your tranny has been an issue twice since you've had your van. The mileage that you have on your van it should still be like new. I wish you the best & please keep us all posted on how your making out getting the tranny replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by petemancw View Post

There are some problems with what you're saying. Putting the vehicle in Park locks the ratcheting mechanism inside the transmission so it can't roll, and has nothing to do with the clutches or the fluid inside the transmission or any of the gears. As a matter of fact, that piece takes all the stress off the gears so you have nothing to worry about their. You're right though, it's not a bad idea to use the parking brake when you're on an incline, not necessarily to save the transmission,but sometimes it's impossible to get it out of the park. Not to mention that can be really hard on the engine mounts which are attached to the transmission, but it has nothing to do with wearing out the transmission. As far as that feeling you feel when it hifts into second gear, that's just electronic servos redirecting transmission fluid (which also acts like hydraulic fluid) into the right spots to put pressure on clutches and that feeling you actually feel is the clutch engaging. my best friend before I got hurt was a transmission technician at a Dodge dealership. Those things made him lots of money and bought him his first house.
                        C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                        Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Hi,
                          The van is back on the road, got it back Sept. 3rd. It took a little over 3weeks. A few of you wrote about using the parking brake on hills (that is a good idea.) I usually park in the garage at home or on handicapped parking, (that should only be a 2% grade, so it’s usually very level.) Both times it went out the transmission made a clunk when shifting into 1st, and then drove for a while. The first time a couple hundred miles, and the 2nd time just 20 miles.

Comment

I've heard nothing but horror stories about the latest batch of minivans from Chrysler and Dodge. One would guess that they were cutting corners left and right to avoid the obvious cash-flow issues, eventually opting to go hat in hand to the gov't for their bailout money. I just bought a used 2000 Grand Caravan with much hesitation, but I wouldn't touch any of the 08/09 models with a 10 foot pole.

Used was $3600...hope it proves to be worth it and not turn into a money pit.

Comment

Working...
                            X