Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E.Motion M15 user/owner feedback needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.Motion M15 user/owner feedback needed!

I think the post here is a great assessment and I agree with nearly everything. I'm curious if others have had problems with the wheels power cutting out right-after turning them on (then give two long and one short beep). I'm on my third set of replacement wheels and still having this problem. The wheels act like there is no charge left but I've had it happen when both battery indicators were at 3, 4 or 5 lights on.

I wrote an original review for New Mobility which I gave Frank Mobility permission to re-print on their site:

http://www.frankmobility.com/docs/Technability.pdf

I was super-impressed initially with the battery life and programability, but I fear the spotty nature of the internal circuitry is a systemic problem. I'm on the verge of asking Frank Mobility to take my article off there site and writing a follow-up, but I'd very much like to hear from other M15 owners.

PS - I was nearly dumped out of my chair when going down a ramp leaving a restaurant the other day. It was quite a scene with my bag, laptop, iPhone, work paper etc. scattered across the parking lot. PLEASE be careful if you own these.

I just ordered the E.Motion wheels. It's will be my first set of power-assist wheels, after spending 5+ years in a power chair. Your review is a little disappointing, but, I'm so pumped to get out of the power chair!

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Hi Jay- your article was incredibly well-written and I actually purchased a set of the new wheels partially based upon your review. The new version just arrived last week and I'm still trying to work out some of the settings. My initial impression is that they are significantly harder to push straight. Truly,many thanks for the heads up regarding the internal circuitry. In a week or two I'll write up a review.

Comment

Thanks Chaz! The good news is that Frank Mobility tech support says that I'm the only one to report the problem, so if that is true it is good news for others who have purchased the M15s, and I am still happy with mine. One tip to note with regard to pushing, control and sensitivity. There are a ton of programming options for the wheels, so make sure to get the magnetic key and programming guide from your reseller (they usually reserve these for PTs so you may have to fight a bit).

Best,

Justin (Jay) Moninger

Comment

I actually got Medi-Cal to pay for E Motion wheels on my TiLite ZRA when I got hurt in 2004. I used the chair perhaps half a dozen times and it has been in a wherehouse getting DENIED by MediCal and Medicare since it needs new batteries and a new charger again. I never even got to use it. Granted my emotions were the old ones but I do not think a worse company exists other than Franklin Mobility. Lucky for me I am now in an ultralight chair and a super quad since I had no choice but to use a manual chair for all these years. I rolled my Explorer 6 times to get SCI and frankly think that Fix or Recall Daily aka FORD is a much better company than Franklin shi....

Comment

Hey people,
            What type of chairs are you attaching your e-motion wheels to? What type of rims are you using? I have been pushing a quickie with quad tips [projection rims] for 30 years and am wondering about the appropriateness of the e-motion rims for my weak hands?

Comment

Originally posted by JayColorado View Post
              I think the post here is a great assessment and I agree with nearly everything. I'm curious if others have had problems with the wheels power cutting out right-after turning them on (then give two long and one short beep). I'm on my third set of replacement wheels and still having this problem. The wheels act like there is no charge left but I've had it happen when both battery indicators were at 3, 4 or 5 lights on.

I wrote an original review for New Mobility which I gave Frank Mobility permission to re-print on their site:

http://www.frankmobility.com/docs/Technability.pdf

I was super-impressed initially with the battery life and programability, but I fear the spotty nature of the internal circuitry is a systemic problem. I'm on the verge of asking Frank Mobility to take my article off there site and writing a follow-up, but I'd very much like to hear from other M15 owners.

PS - I was nearly dumped out of my chair when going down a ramp leaving a restaurant the other day. It was quite a scene with my bag, laptop, iPhone, work paper etc. scattered across the parking lot. PLEASE be careful if you own these.
              Hey, I have a question about charging batteries on the new M15's I got about a month ago. Whenever I go to charge them while I am sitting in my chair and plugging the cord into the battery on my right side of the wheel, as soon as I transfer onto my bed, the right side audible signal comes on and somebody has to come into my room and unplug it from the wheel and then plug back in as this resets the charging. This is even before I have plugged the power cord into the AC outlet.

Has anybody had any problems with this? All Frank Mobility said was this was one of the new and improved safety features in case you move the wheels while they are plugged into the wheel the sound will alert you. I am not moving the wheels at all, the locks are on and the chair does not move. If you have any ideas how to plug them in and not taking them off the wheels much appreciated.

Comment

e motion

I saw the emotion wheels at the expo in schumburg illinois last month. they look cool and very useful for all but I almost fell out of my chair when they told me 5 grand. I don't think all three of my chairs cost that much together. I know my insurance will not be buing those. How did you guys and girls get medical to pay for them??
                What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Comment

As for the beeping problem, I know you must turn the wheels off either using the remote or buttons on the wheels BEFORE plugging them in to charge.

As for paying for the M15s (which generally end up over $6k), you need a PT/OT at a good rehab hospital to help write a justification letter. Say something along the lines of "They provide exercise, but prevent tendinitis and other shoulder problems." As with any company, your best bet is to convince them that paying a little now can prevent costly surgery down the line. That being said, they are still often rejected, so you might go the fundraiser route. If you do, check out the NTAF, they are great.

http://www.livewellmedical.com/index...oducts_id=2076

http://www.transplantfund.org/Catastrophic/

Comment

Originally posted by peegy p View Post
                    Hey people,
                    What type of chairs are you attaching your e-motion wheels to? What type of rims are you using? I have been pushing a quickie with quad tips [projection rims] for 30 years and am wondering about the appropriateness of the e-motion rims for my weak hands?
                    You certainly won't need pegs with power assist. I use the rubber coated rims, and along with my rubber palm gloves (http://glovesforlife.com/content.html) I have no trouble. I don't grip the push rims at all, just use friction.

Comment

I use the M15's on a TiLite Aero X. Very easy for a mechanic to install the brackets. I have found that they are harder to keep straight then the M12's I used to have and have noticed they do cut out every once and awhile as mentioned in an earlier post. My mechanic is looking into this problem.

Comment

M15 wheel issues

Had the wheels about a year now...been usable less than 6 months. First, one was assembled without a rim spacer so clanked....that took 3 weeks to fix. next sheared 4 of the 5 pins that hold the push rim...very fortunate I was not going down a hill when it broke or the push rim would cataulpted me out of the chair. took 3 weeks to fix....but they only fixed one side. wheel came back and a spoke broke. before I could get it in to be fixed, another pin broke on the unfixed wheel that connects the push rim to the wheel. The good news, batter life has been great. I've only had to charge them 8 times in a year of ownership ! ...but honestly, I still love the product, but as a MIT engineer, I think I could help design a more robust product if anyone can hook me up with the right powers to be.

Comment

Originally posted by addc02t View Post
                          Had the wheels about a year now...been usable less than 6 months. First, one was assembled without a rim spacer so clanked....that took 3 weeks to fix. next sheared 4 of the 5 pins that hold the push rim...very fortunate I was not going down a hill when it broke or the push rim would cataulpted me out of the chair. took 3 weeks to fix....but they only fixed one side. wheel came back and a spoke broke. before I could get it in to be fixed, another pin broke on the unfixed wheel that connects the push rim to the wheel. The good news, batter life has been great. I've only had to charge them 8 times in a year of ownership ! ...but honestly, I still love the product, but as a MIT engineer, I think I could help design a more robust product if anyone can hook me up with the right powers to be.
                          WOOOOOOOAH, I had mine for 6 months and love them - never had a single problem... w/o them i wouldnt be able to push anywhere
                          C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

I am in australia so i dont have the same insurance problems (rather different issues with getting them funded!) however i am excited to find a bunch of people who are using these wheels. I have dystonia a neuromuscular condition that causes movements and prevents me from walking also severe fatigue and pain and i struggle to get more than 20 or 50 metres in ANY normal manual chair. however i have enough ability to legally drive and have been using the WYMO wheelchair hoist since december 2009 when i regained my drivers license. I have been told by OT who contacted The company that makes the emotion wheels that putting them on this hoist will be fine but will need a few modifications. Hoping that they can sort this all out and that the government funds them. I am having a trial in my own home 1st february. its not exactly wheelchair accessible rather more like a normal house with ramps and stuff. I am hoping that i will do fine since ive pushed a normal manual chair around in this house for the past 3 and bit years!!!! Does anyone have any advice about what to do/not to do with these wheels? ive had a couple of trials at the shop that sells them and at my physios rooms as well so ive had a couple of goes already which is why i know how good they are already!!! anything will be better than what im in at the moment and this will be my first real chair too!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X