Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessible Suburban Project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Absolutely inspirational.
    Too cool.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

    Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

    Teddy Roosevelt

    Comment


      #32
      Nice project!

      Thanks for the inspiration!

      A fellow tinkerer in south central pa,

      Rick

      www.pronecartcity.com

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by forestranger52 View Post
        Absolutely inspirational.
        Too cool.
        Originally posted by rba View Post
        Thanks for the inspiration!
        A fellow tinkerer in south central pa,
        Rick
        www.pronecartcity.com
        Thanks!

        Rick, I like they way you think! I spent some time on your site looking over the projects. Nice craftsmanship!



        Comment


          #34
          This is very cool. You do your own welding too? What kind of setup do you use? Is it modified in any way?

          Comment


            #35
            Thanks LC, I am slowing down quite a bit lately. Getting older or something.

            Good luck with your 'burb. I had one 25 years ago, a '68, old power line truck. That was the toughest truck I ever had.

            Rick

            Comment


              #36
              Found time to make a little more progress...

              Completed the air management rack for the tanks, manifold and compressors. I'm happy with the end result - clean, functional and compact.


              View from underneath (hard to get a good pic)




              With all of the components mounted.


              Needed some extra room so I removed a portion of the floor cross member. Drilled out the spot welds (WHAT A PAIN) and cut the rest with a cut off wheel. (I accidentally deleted the last pic of the piece completely removed but you get the idea





              The air lines along the frame rails are installed- still need to connect to the tanks.

              Currently I'm determining where to mount the height sensors. Looks like this is the best approach for the front. Still need to fab a mounting bracket and secure it to the A-arms. The A-arms are cast and I don't have a brazing torch so bolts will be used to secure the bracket to the A-arm.


              Amount of sensor arm travel.



              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by JAYCUE View Post
                This is very cool. You do your own welding too? What kind of setup do you use? Is it modified in any way?
                Hey Jay,

                I do my own MIG welding. I would like to learn TIG but it's not "wheelchair friendly" because it requires you to hold the gun, or torch as they are often called, in one hand and the welding rod in the other and operate the welder via a foot control.

                With MIG the welder is operated with a trigger on the torch. And the wire is autofeed via the welding machine through the torch. So as long as you can hold the torch and push the button then you can weld.

                Here's a pic of my Miller 210 and a close up of a torch.





                I almost forgot to answer your last question - I have no finger movement and can weld without any mods to the machine.

                Good luck and feel free to hit me up with any questions! I can discuss welding and fabrication all day



                Comment


                  #38
                  Looking good. I'm working on a Suburban. Well my brother and dad are doing all the mods. I'm unable to help which sux! Your doing a great job.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                    Looking good. I'm working on a Suburban. Well my brother and dad are doing all the mods. I'm unable to help which sux! Your doing a great job.
                    Thanks!

                    What year burb and what modifications are you making?



                    Comment


                      #40
                      07 Suburban. We have bagged it, dropped the passenger side floor, removed
                      the center post and attached it to the rear door and in the process of suiciding
                      the back door (we attempted to suicide door once and the hinges didn't allow
                      it to swing out far enough so we have a different hinge to try. I will post
                      some pictures.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                        07 Suburban. We have bagged it, dropped the passenger side floor, removed
                        the center post and attached it to the rear door and in the process of suiciding
                        the back door (we attempted to suicide door once and the hinges didn't allow
                        it to swing out far enough so we have a different hinge to try. I will post
                        some pictures.
                        Yeah, post some pics! I wasn't aware of any front suspension air bag kits designed for the 06 -09 SUVs so now you have my curiosity peaked.



                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by LooseCannon View Post
                          Yeah, post some pics! I wasn't aware of any front suspension air bag kits designed for the 06 -09 SUVs so now you have my curiosity peaked.
                          you can bag anything! we fab the majority of our stuff.
                          Steve
                          C5-6 Feb 05

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by MotoRacer598 View Post
                            you can bag anything! we fab the majority of our stuff.
                            agreed. i was thinking bolt-on.



                            Comment


                              #44
                              Heres some pics.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                More.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X