No announcement yet.

Accessible Suburban Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally installed the drop spindles and new rubber on the wheels (2009 Suburban take-offs)

Off with the old

and on with the new

Now the whale sits at a 6.5/7.5 drop when fully deflated with 265/60/18. The fender to floor measures 29" in the front and 30" in the rear. Ride height should be approximately 2" higher.

I don't know if you can tell from the last pic but now the rearend is pushed over to the passenger side by 1/2" due to the panhard bar being too short for the amount of drop. I'm shopping for an adjustable panhard bar or maybe a Watts link.

With the additional drop transferring and getting the chair in/out is MUCH easier. It's amazing what a couple inches will do.

I'm also kicking around the idea of lowering the seat 1" to make transferring even easier (not getting any younger).

I'll try to post the seat to floor height.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the bags for the rear were too big (8" diameter) and rubbed the spring pocket.

After contacting Tony @ A.R.T he sent me the 2500's (6.5" diameter) and they fit perfectly!

I gotta give props to A.R.T and especially Tony. Not only do they make awesome products but their customer service is top notch!

Comment

I wish I still had my finger ability so I can still work on cars, after all, that's all he ever did for a living before I got hurt. Even graduated high school with $18,000 in automotive scholarships. Then I can help my friend build his Challenger drag car. I remember back when I was 17, we used to go to the illegal drags with that thing when it was still somewhat normal. That was all sorts of fun
        C-5/6, 7-9-2000
        Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Originally posted by rybread View Post
          I wish I still had my finger ability so I can still work on cars, after all, that's all he ever did for a living before I got hurt. Even graduated high school with $18,000 in automotive scholarships. Then I can help my friend build his Challenger drag car. I remember back when I was 17, we used to go to the illegal drags with that thing when it was still somewhat normal. That was all sorts of fun
          I hear ya. Not having finger movement (only tenodesis) is one of my biggest obstacles when working in the shop. Just the simple things like turning a ratchet or running an impact with one hand while holding a wrench in the other are most times impossible or very difficult. Or oh how I miss being able to work a paint gun with one hand! I usually find ways around these "inconveniences" but it takes me 10x longer to do stuff.

Though, as much of a pain as turning wrenches and building things are, I LOVE IT! and will keep on trucking until 6 feet under

Comment

Just have a adjustable panhard bar made. Had one made for my truck. Get rid of those stock wheels and get some 22's!!
            Steve
            C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Very nice work, LC! I'm glad you haven't let the added difficulties paralysis brings to the garage rob you of the joy of doing what you love.
              Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by MotoRacer598 View Post
                Just have a adjustable panhard bar made. Had one made for my truck. Get rid of those stock wheels and get some 22's!!
                22's are for wimps

Comment

LOL!!! that would be a fun transfer!

I don't understand that whole 4x4 look. I asked a few of my customers why they do that. cause its cool man
                  Steve
                  C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Running a Watts Link would be best since it allows no lateral movement of the rearend when the suspension compresses but I don't have $500 at the moment.

Watts

So, I'll go the cheap route and I'll try to lengthen the factory bar since the cost is free (besides welding gas and wire). If that doesn't work I'll purchase a "build your own" panhard bar kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
                      Very nice work, LC! I'm glad you haven't let the added difficulties paralysis brings to the garage rob you of the joy of doing what you love.
                      Thanks!

Comment

I have never ran a Watts link. I usually 4-link everything.
                        Steve
                        C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

To center the rearend the panhard bar needed lengthened 1/4".

Cut the bar

Lengthened 1/4" and tac welded for fitment. Installed the bar and raised the rearend to ride height and measured. The rearend was centered within a 1/32 so pulled the bar back out and started making the plates to weld over the 1/4 gap.

Bending the front plate

Making a pattern for the back plate

Transferring the pattern to 3/16" flat stock

Pictures didn't turn out but they show the plates welding to the bar

Front plate

Back plate
                          Last edited by LooseCannon; 13 Aug 2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Also started making the mounts for the air tanks, compressors, and valves. The plan is to install the air management system between the frame rails where the spare tire was.

Showing the panhard bar and one of the mounts clamped for fitting

Starting to look like something

Tac'd together for fitting. Everything checked out so tomorrow I'll remove the tanks and finish welding
                            Last edited by LooseCannon; 13 Aug 2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

2 tanks. you'll never run short on air. What compresors and valves?
                              Steve
                              C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Running 2 Viair 400's and Big Red valve's from Air Ride Technologies.

Comment

Working...
                                X