No announcement yet.

power add-on for manual chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks great, I actually found it after being sent a utube link to a simular device called the zinger. Looks like you are being more proactive about making the dream a reality. Good look with the paperwork and making it happen.
    I own an aggressive therapy clinic that worksout with SCI clients and alot of my paraplegic clients in manual chairs have a problem with off road/semi off road issues. A chair like this could really help them. When you get the patent and start selling them let me know. I have several clients that would be thrilled to buy one.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 16 Dec 2009, 10:00 AM. Reason: personal e-mail address removed

Comment

I also want to say that I find the product simply brilliant. The best one for my current needs, for instance: I can use it to go to the school (which is up on a hill), then quickly (and that is the best part: very very quickly) take it off and secure it somewhere, and then go on with the manual wheelchair inside the building. (the charge will really last that way. I have been using e-motion for a couple of years, but when used inside a place, they ended up more quickly)

Look forward to seeing it available...
      Last edited by hapius; 16 Dec 2009, 9:54 AM.

Comment

That is definitely very cool. It would be something I would definitely be into. I am a T6 para, but have been having recurring shoulder and elbow issues, including AC joint orthoscopy so this is perfect. As someone mentioned before, by how easily it attaches and unattaches, I could use it when needed and then snap right off when I don't. I am in the process of getting the e-motions through insurance after weiging all the pros and cons, but this product is more what I would want. I would also wonder if it would be better with a larger caster on the unit itself that may also be pneumatic so that it will work better off road. I bet a lot of people, myself included, would want this to work in grass, gravel etc extremely well as that is where we often need a boost. It would also be interesting to look into if there could be different gearing ratio selection, maybe like a high and low power, possibly gearing the low to work more aggressively off road. Kind of like a 4x4 works in high vs low range. Not sure if that would be possible but it would be good. I would likely buy one even out of pocket if I knew it was reliable. Plus for van drivers the weight doesn't even matter. Great product!
        Ride It Like You Stole It!

Comment

You sir, are a Genius!

I prefer Pat's joystick approach over the Zinger push pull levers. Most of us quads "hook" when bombing around.

I would second the suggestions of others to make the joystick as small as possible and lighten the powerpack. Awesome job!

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments. After talking with reps from some of the majors wheelchair manufacturers, although really enthusiastic at first, none followed through. Maybe I wasn't talking to the right people. Well I kind of got burnt out trying to pitch my invention and focused on improving the design. Below are a few pics of the second prototype. Some improvements are a smaller joystick and cable with built in actuator controls to secure and release the manual chair using the joystick, a simpler and cleaner looking means of attaching to the chair, and adustable armrest mounts to fit a variety of wheelchair widths. I've also been busy building beach chairs and haven't put any effort recently on bring it to market but it's on my mind and I'm sure it will happen soon if I can find the right partner or investor. It's really a great thing and I use it almost everday, I'm done with big bulky powerchairs. As far as off-road, it does really well on grass and I think it would go most anywhere with the other Pat's Freewheel snapped on the front.

Still need a name for it...suggestions?

With my new ZR:
            pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

That's too cool! I'll take the old one off your hands for you...
              (lal)

Comment

There's a video of me doing a little off-roading in Prototype 1 here:
                http://www.youtube.com/user/BeachMobility
                pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

Still looking for names, Pat? The first thing that came to mind is the "Spartan" because it looks something like a chariot.
                  "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Comment

I just found this thread. The videos no longer work. What happened? Is this device still in the works? I am a L1 para and a guitar player. I am experiencing carpal tunnel problems in my wrists form pushing my chair al the time.I'm like everyone else. I do not want to abandon my ligtweight rigid manual chair for a 300 pound electric but I havre got to get my arms some help. Have you done anymore on this product and is there a link to a current video showing it in action?
                    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Comment

He may have taken the videos down to protect the design of his add on. IDK if Pat has been able to patent his design yet and it sure would be a shame to have someone steal this wonderful invention out from under him (no pun intended).
                      ~Mandy~
                      SCI as a result of spinal surgery
                      TiLite Aero Z!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grange View Post
                        I just found this thread. The videos no longer work. What happened? Is this device still in the works? I am a L1 para and a guitar player. I am experiencing carpal tunnel problems in my wrists form pushing my chair al the time.I'm like everyone else. I do not want to abandon my ligtweight rigid manual chair for a 300 pound electric but I havre got to get my arms some help. Have you done anymore on this product and is there a link to a current video showing it in action?
                        Hi Grange, I'm still looking for a manufacturer, partner, or licensee. In the meantime however I agreed to build one for another member here so I've decide to go into limited production. I'm currently building three, one is spoken for. I read your post in the zinger thread and feel this would be perfect for what you are looking for. I've been using one everyday for over a year now and it's awesome. I haven't nailed down a final price yet but I expect it to be in the $3000 to $4000 range. It just depends on how much labor is involved.

Anyone here interested in one can contact me through the website in my signature. I plan on making a video of the new design soon. Email me (pat@beachmobility.com) for a link to the previous videos.
                        Last edited by pattherat; 8 Apr 2010, 11:18 PM.
                        pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

Fantastic invention Pat! Independent attachment and detachment for even a Quad. I look forward to its further development and success.

Comment

I'd buy one.

Comment

Could you reupload the youtube movie of the power addon? It seems to be deleted

Comment

Im attending Project Walk in Cali... I believe I saw your buddy demonstrate how it works. Awesome.
                                C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

Working...
                                X