No announcement yet.

power add-on for manual chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When we 1st reported my wife had a hard time getting up the 2" apron at our garage entrance. Since then we read the manual (always helpful) and adjusted the anti tip arms that extend above the ZX-1 shroud and press against the backrest tubes. We moved the 2 screws (on each side) and moved them further back on the plate by one position. Now she approaches the apron, pushes head and shoulders against backrest while moving forward - the front casters pop over the apron. The front casters were too front loaded to jump obstacles in the original position as shipped, the manual has a table which advises which holes to pick based on chair COG. A lot of forethought went into the ZX-1.

Comment

• A big concern of mine with those hitches behind the vehicle, is what happens if someone rear ends you and ruins your expensive powerchair/zx1? Also, what about weather? Raining or snowing?
      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

• Originally posted by larry1975 View Post
        I have one of the original ZX-1's that Pat made, my gps says i'm doing 5mph in top speed.
        I don't think a smartphone gps app is very accurate at measuring such a slow speed for short distances.

The actual theoretical speed is:

Tire circumference = 10 * 3.14 = 31.4 inches
        or 2.62 feet
        Motors turn 4600 RPM gear ratio is 21
        So RPMs at axle is 219
        Axle RPM * Wheel Circumference = Feet per minute
        So 219 * 2.62 = 573.78 fpm
        573.78 * 60 = 34426.8 fph
        34426.8 / 5280 = 6.52 mph

I think if you account for user weight road drag and air resistance it would still be closer to 6 than 5.
        pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
          Mac, the first tack weld from the end of where the square tubing is welded on, that tack weld isn't cracked, is it? It may just be how it looks in this photo.

If it was damaged by UPS in a drop, it would've had to have been a big drop. Look for damage like that.

There is no crack just bend
          I'm positive UPS dropped the box that's why there is a slight bend on the support that holds the Wheel, I just noticed a big gap on the box in my garage that I never noticed before. I might not only be disabled but I am blind, But somebody else took the packaging off so that's why I didn't notice. Here is a picture of the box.

C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

• I wonder when that sticker was applied, before or after dropping the box... Any bets?
            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

• Originally posted by pattherat View Post
              Spinergy needs to have another look at their packaging and/or consider changing to another fork stem or even fork since they decided to replace the polymer with a solid piece of aluminum anyway.
              Without the elastomer, there really is no point in using something that costs 2-3 times more than standard bearing forks. The swivel radius would also be tighter.

Comment

At some point Froglegs switched to a hollow shaft which is what that is and is fine under normal use but could have easily been bent if it was dropped from a height with 75lbs behind it. Spinergy needs to have another look at their packaging and/or consider changing to another fork stem or even fork since they decided to replace the polymer with a solid piece of aluminum anyway.
                The hollow shaft is good news, since it may have taken all the damage. Time and further examination will tell that tale. Removing the polymer from a Froglegs is interesting marketing.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

• Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                  I wonder when that sticker was applied, before or after dropping the box... Any bets?
                  We have the same sticker on our box, the overall weight I believe for box and ZX-1 is 103 or 104 lbs.

Comment

I don't think a smartphone gps app is very accurate at measuring such a slow speed for short distances.

The actual theoretical speed is:

Tire circumference = 10 * 3.14 = 31.4 inches
                    or 2.62 feet
                    Motors turn 4600 RPM gear ratio is 21
                    So RPMs at axle is 219
                    Axle RPM * Wheel Circumference = Feet per minute
                    So 219 * 2.62 = 573.78 fpm
                    573.78 * 60 = 34426.8 fph
                    34426.8 / 5280 = 6.52 mph

I think if you account for user weight road drag and air resistance it would still be closer to 6 than 5.

I'm gonna try with my Garmin GPS see what that says, i'll let you know.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                      We have the same sticker on our box, the overall weight I believe for box and ZX-1 is 103 or 104 lbs.
                      it was actually 95 LBS

Comment

• Do you know why they got rid of the polymer/elastomer? Isn't suspension the whole point in the Frog Legs, and without that it does not make sense?

Originally posted by pattherat View Post
                        At some point Froglegs switched to a hollow shaft which is what that is and is fine under normal use but could have easily been bent if it was dropped from a height with 75lbs behind it. Spinergy needs to have another look at their packaging and/or consider changing to another fork stem or even fork since they decided to replace the polymer with a solid piece of aluminum anyway.
                        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

• Oops, just read this after I had already replied.

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                          Without the elastomer, there really is no point in using something that costs 2-3 times more than standard bearing forks. The swivel radius would also be tighter.
                          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

• Also, can the elastomer be reinstalled?

Comment

• Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                              I concur. I didn't notice that they replaced the elastomer. That makes no sense to me.

Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                              Also, can the elastomer be reinstalled?
                              I don't see why not.

Comment

• What's an elastometer? sorry noob here

Comment

Working...
                                X