power add-on for manual chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
    How wide is your wifes chair? And, so does that mean at the width of your wifes chair anti tippers and armrests cannot be used at all to accommodate the zx1?
    My wife's chair is 16" wide. We definitely had to remove the anti-tipper bases as they are mounted inside the clamps on camber bar, the bases for the anti tippers rubbed on drive tires of ZX-1 until removed. I don't think we necessarily had to remove recepticals for swing around arms as there is a way to adjust position of ZX-1 arms on the ZX-1 but we chose just to remove the receptical as my wife never uses those arms. The clamshell jaws that grab the camber bar are 9" across so you have to have that much clear space in the center of the camber bar. My wife uses a TiLite Aero Z, I use a Top end T6, 18" wide and will be trying the ZX-1 on this as soon as I can get the device away from my wife.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
      My wife's chair is 16" wide. We definitely had to remove the anti-tipper bases as they are mounted inside the clamps on camber bar, the bases for the anti tippers rubbed on drive tires of ZX-1 until removed. I don't think we necessarily had to remove recepticals for swing around arms as there is a way to adjust position of ZX-1 arms on the ZX-1 but we chose just to remove the receptical as my wife never uses those arms. The clamshell jaws that grab the camber bar are 9" across so you have to have that much clear space in the center of the camber bar. My wife uses a TiLite Aero Z, I use a Top end T6, 18" wide and will be trying the ZX-1 on this as soon as I can get the device away from my wife.
      Is it possible for you switch sides(Left anti-tip bracket on right side), flip them upside down and mount them above the camber tube? If so you may just need a longer lower tube.
      Glad to hear your wife is enjoying her ZX-1!
      pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

• Originally posted by elarson View Post
        Pat, Looking forward to the pic's. Unfortunately, Spinlife ban international IP's so I can't see a picture. I find it quite frustrating, because I often buy equipment in the US for forwarding. Needless to say, we will never buy from Spinlife with that kind of attitude, so I will be interested to see what you came up with.

pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

• Originally posted by pattherat View Post
          Is it possible for you switch sides(Left anti-tip bracket on right side), flip them upside down and mount them above the camber tube? If so you may just need a longer lower tube.
          Glad to hear your wife is enjoying her ZX-1!
          I bet the anti tippers would work that way. Terrific invention, you are making life easier and more fun for folks.

Comment

• The Silver Star Power Tote Mini seems to be the smallest hitch lift on the market: http://mobilityexpress.com/Pride-Sil...e-Mini_239.htm
            I'm not endorsing the above website, it just has good photos.

I'm sure there are many other platform type hitch lifts that would also work.

Here is the Power Tote with a custom platform I made specifically for the ZX1:

pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

• People who require powerchairs use the same type of lifts to enhance their mobility also.
              I know one guy in a manual chair who carries a powerchair stashed on the back of his vehicle when he needs to cover a lot of ground. Not quite a power-add on but a power-climb on.
              Last edited by forestranger52; 06-08-2013, 07:23 PM.
              C 5/6 Comp.
              No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• It looks like it's bent right by the screw that holds the caster, UPS might have dropped the box. MOTHERF&*ERS

C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

• Man, the caster wheel or the bracket had to hit damn hard to bend that. If it was straight the caster wheel would not hit the motor and would definately shorten the rotation. Sucks.
                  Last edited by forestranger52; 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM.
                  C 5/6 Comp.
                  No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by forestranger52 View Post
                    Man, the caster wheel or the bracket had to hit damn hard to bend that. If it was straight the caster wheel would not hit the motor and would definately shorten the rotation. Sucks.
                    x2. I've had some hard hits on casters on my chairs and have never bent a stem.

If it was UPS, the box would've been damaged pretty significantly to do that. Was it?

Comment

• It looked bent last night. Those are half inch shafts. There could be more damage. You were wise to document this way.
                      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

• I like how fast Spinergy wanted to send you the part to have it fixed.

Do you have someone that can swap it out for you?

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                          We received our Zx-1 tonight. My wife uses an Aero Z and had anti tip receivers and recepticals for rotating armrests, we had to remove both. The anti tip receivers brushed against the drive wheels, the armrests in the recepticals made contact with the rear of the 24" wheels. Once removed, my wife could back up to the clamshell and the clamshell grabbed the camber bar firmly as advertised. Our rear anti tip wheel just misses the motors - not by much. The Zx-1 seems way faster than 3.2 mph. It pivots in a very small footrprint. We backed up onto our Braun Trifold Lift on our full sized Ford van - plenty of room for the Zx-1. We tried to jump the 2" apron at the front of our garage, the front casters smacked the apron and stopped, we felt that we had not mastered the learning curve, my better half refused to approach at full speed - next step we clamped on Freewheel and the Zx-1 went right on into garage with no problem. I think the Freewheel plus Zx-1 makes a very versatile combination, per Patrick Madsen.

We think Pat the Rat is a genius, we trialed the SmartDrive which is amazing but the Zx-1 is a great accomodation for my wife, a post polio para/quad for about 64 years with failing shoulders. We will continue to review our experience.

I have one of the original ZX-1's that Pat made, my gps says i'm doing 5mph in top speed.

Comment

• I ride with only the fourth light on the controller. Plenty fast for me. Sure is fun riding it.

Comment

• Mac, the first tack weld from the end of where the square tubing is welded on, that tack weld isn't cracked, is it? It may just be how it looks in this photo.

If it was damaged by UPS in a drop, it would've had to have been a big drop. Look for damage like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                                x2. I've had some hard hits on casters on my chairs and have never bent a stem.

If it was UPS, the box would've been damaged pretty significantly to do that. Was it?
                                Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                                It looked bent last night. Those are half inch shafts. There could be more damage. You were wise to document this way.
                                At some point Froglegs switched to a hollow shaft which is what that is and is fine under normal use but could have easily been bent if it was dropped from a height with 75lbs behind it. Spinergy needs to have another look at their packaging and/or consider changing to another fork stem or even fork since they decided to replace the polymer with a solid piece of aluminum anyway.
                                pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

Working...
                                X