No announcement yet.

power add-on for manual chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week I ordered my ZX1 from Sportaid !!
    There are brackets on my chair for armrests and anti-tippers, both of which I'm not using. Appears I may not need to remove the brackets. May remove them anyway for less weight. My chair has 16" seat width and my husband did the other measurements requested while I was on the phone with the order.

Looking forward to using the zx1 with my FreeWheel out on trails that I used to be able to push - before the dreaded shoulder issues showed up. Also want to again be able to attend outdoor events - country fairs, art shows, carrying water to my potted plants, etc. I like the idea that if I get somewhere and don't need the assist, I can "doff" it and just leave it in my full size van.

To be certain, I tried a demo Smart Drive....I need more help than it provides. It's painful to one shoulder to have to manually push backwards on carpet, as the SD did not do reverse. Also, I was unable to "doff" the rear wheel to make my chair lighter in order to easily get around at home.

I've been following the zx1 for about two years and was ready to order just when it went to Spinergy, so had to wait. I've watched all the videos and got as much information as posssible from posts here - they were all so helpful.
    My decision to get one was really a "no brainer", and I'm grateful to be able to get one.

Comment

I just checked the Sportaid website and couldn't find it.

Please tell me what the price was for the one you ordered, thanks.

Comment

Congrats to those who just ordered the ZX-1. Other than the Freewheel, the ZX is one of the few things that is fully as it is advertised. Your gonna love it. It is so cool attaching it by just the press of a button and powering to where I want to go; unhitch and be in complete lightweight manual mode. No heavywheels or gizzmos to get in the way. The ZX will change your lives for the better. I'd buy it again with out hesitation.

Thanks Pat for remembering to send the anti-tips.

Comment

Pat, could you say how much it cost?

Comment

I think they said between 7 an 8 grand Grommet.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
              I think they said between 7 an 8 grand Grommet.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                I just checked the Sportaid website and couldn't find it.

Please tell me what the price was for the one you ordered, thanks.

Try calling Sportaid; saw that Spinergy will post zx1 website location soon.

Comment

Shame the cost is so high, I would have thought that Spinergy could afford to sell it for much cheaper than Pat with mass production. Hopefully the increase is a reflection on the length of time and difficulty to go through the FDA hoops, and it will go down in coming years.
                  Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

$7,995.00 or around $2,995.00 more w/Spinergy.
                    C 5/6 Comp.
                    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

costs went up... maybe not to make, but now Spinergy has license fees to Pat, & cuts for their dealers... Sportaid and other vendors traditionally offer discounts off MSRP, so I won't be surprised if street price is less than $8k.

Comment

The MSRP is in the order form I posted.

Like others have said, possibly it will come down over time. Probably all of us talking about our need for this has also led Spinergy to know that they certainly have early adopters willing to pay (captive market/demand). I know we are in that situation.

Hopefully, once it goes mainstream, and there are more competitors, prices will begin to fall a bit. Regardless, we will be so happy to get a ZX1, because I really believe the quality of life improvement will account for every cent.

Between the ZX1, the SmartDrive, and overall advances in battery technology, I believe the market is really changing.

If you are not in a desperate situation like we are (going to loose funding soon), I would hold off and see what happens. Early adopters bleeding edge is not always good.

I think you will hear from all of us if/when we get one;-). Still holding my breath a bit on that after the last years.

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                        Pat, could you say how much it cost?
                        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Sure beats a 30K powerchair weighing hundreds of pounds lol. Considering what those power wheels with their limitations and weight cost, the ZX isn't that far out of line. Spinergy is like any other company; they'll gouge us for whatever they can get.

If power is something you need yet reluctant to give up the luxury of a lightweight manual; the ZX is, imo, the way to go. I can't say enough about the ease and simplicity of mine. It is so powerful going over grass or loose gravel. When adding a Freewheel to mine, it has nver been stuck, even in shallow loose snow.

Comment

The one thing about the ZX-1 though is that it weighs too much for me to be able to lift into the trunk of my car ... isn't it 70lbs?

The Smart Drive is 11lbs.
                            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Around that Jen.

Comment

So for a person who breaks down their chair like I do ... unreasonable to take to the mall or any place where I expect to wheel some distance.

Darn.
                                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                                X