No announcement yet.

power add-on for manual chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be curious about this also. What overrides are possible and programmable by the end user (especially speed)?

Originally posted by quad247 View Post
    I need a new power chair,but this looks like a better option.is there anyway you can make it with a programer like the MK electronics?
    Thanks,
    Nelson.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Some ways to adjust a powerchair's programming to fit your needs: Local DME/dealer/wheelchair repair shop should have programmers and may help you, handheld dealer programmers often pop up on ebay for around $100, there's a guy that'll rent you one for 30 days: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pride-Jazzy-...item1e72133919
      Do some research first and use caution, sometimes certain parameters are programmed a particular way for a good reason.
      Here's a good resource: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powe...rogramming.htm
      pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

I wanted to clarify that I had made a mistake when I thought that we would not be able to use flip back or swing away armrests with the ZX1 because they were not removable. I have since learned that they are removable, so there would be no problem removing them before attaching to the ZX1 as Pattherat says.

I am quite happy to know that there should be no issues for us ordering a chair that will be compatible with the ZX1.

Thanks for all of your input Pattherat and good luck with getting the ZX1 launched.

Originally posted by elarson
        - Does the ZX1 work on a chair with flip back or swing away arm rests
        Originally posted by pattherat View Post
        Currently you would have to remove the armrests before attaching to the ZX1.
        Last edited by elarson; 4 Oct 2012, 7:20 PM. Reason: typo
        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Now I am totally confused...

In my post about armrest options it was mentioned that it is not only the armrests, but the armrest bracket that would be a problem with the ZX1 (#7). Can Pat or anyone comment on this?

Originally posted by elarson View Post
          I wanted to clarify that I had made a mistake when I thought that we would not be able to use flip back or swing away armrests with the ZX1 because they were not removable. I have since learned that they are removable, so there would be no problem removing them before attaching to the ZX1 as Pattherat says...

Comment

amyk is correct in that thread. Most likely a swing away armrest bracket would be in the way.

So in the pic below, 3(ARM2) and 4(ARM3) would work:

pat@beachmobility.com

Comment

Originally posted by pattherat View Post
              amyk is correct in that thread. Most likely a swing away armrest bracket would be in the way.
              Thanks for the confirmation Pat. I was just looking at pictures of the swing away armrest receiver brackets for the ZX1 and the ZRA when I saw this. I agree, there will definitely be a conflict. I'm not sure what we can do, because the "Removables" don't work for us, and I can not find any Designs Unlimited (DU's) either.

I think there will also be conflicts for anti-tip mount/recepticals. Can you say if any of the anti-tips would work with the ZX1?

Comment

Can the brackets just be unbolted and removed on TiLite chairs?

Comment

From looking at all of the parts drawings, it does not appear to be a problem to remove the brackets. The problem is that while the ZX1 is not being used, the armrests and anti-tips are needed.

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                    not easily, the backrest needs to be completely removed as the brackets slot onto it.

the clearance/sizing issue is a major factor in why the zx1 will not work for me. you have to have a certain amount of 'free space' on your camber bar, and mine is several inches too narrow. you may be able to keep the antippers if you have a really wide seat - thats the kind of specification you would need from spinergy.

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
                      I'm not sure what we can do, because the "Removables" don't work for us
                      it might be worth it to check out the removable armrests with the transfer loop, as they might be easier to grip with one hand. or alternatively would it help to add a quad hole to the removable sideguards? do you remove them by pulling until it 'unclicks' like a plug and socket, or do you unlatch and pull (if so, which is more problematic?)?

Comment

Originally posted by amyk View Post
                        the clearance/sizing issue is a major factor in why the zx1 will not work for me. you have to have a certain amount of 'free space' on your camber bar, and mine is several inches too narrow.
                        Especially on narrower chairs, I can see where the camber tube width is a major factor, and can get pretty crowded.

It's obvious that there would be no way to change the spacing of the armrest receiver/bracket on the chair, because as you mentioned, it slots into connects the backrest posts.

Maybe this is a little far fetched, but do you think that by increasing rear wheel spacing a little, maybe some kind of an extender/spacer could be put on the armrest receiver/bracket of the ZX1 to make it wider so it does not conflict with the chair receiver/bracket? I am thinking this must be possible, or how else would the ZX1 accommodate for wide chair widths. I don't imagine that they bend the armrest extensions out to do that -- or do they?

Comment

i've had my zx1 for 1-1/2 years now i have not been able to use anti-tippers at all, would be nice to be able to but it doesn't bother me not to use them

Comment

Thanks for brainstorming about it Amyk.

I have been looking into removable with transfer loop again, but really don't like how difficult they are to remove, they rattle around a lot, and are quite heavy (I read somewhere about 2 lbs. each). We really wanted flip-backs (boo, hoo).
                            Originally posted by amyk View Post
                            it might be worth it to check out the removable armrests with the transfer loop, as they might be easier to grip with one hand.
                            We don't have the quad hole removable sideguards. I had hoped to get fold downs. The sideguards are not so much an issue with the ZX1 as far as I can see. Do you have any reason to think they are?
                            or alternatively would it help to add a quad hole to the removable sideguards? do you remove them by pulling until it 'unclicks' like a plug and socket, or do you unlatch and pull (if so, which is more problematic?)?

Comment

Damn, I'm someone who needs armrests and anti tippers. I thought the zx1 would be perfect for me in the future but instead it looks like it won't work at all. I guess the smart drive is going to be my best option. Too bad!
                              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I just saw this picture that Pat posted a while back. In this picture it looks like there would be enough clearance for chair armrest receiver brackets. I'm starting to wonder if rear seat height will be a factor in whether the ZX1 will conflict. We are planning a chair with a RSH of about 17-18".

Comment

Working...
                                X