No announcement yet.

Beds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also aging fast. I have used firm Sealy Posturepedic mattresses in the past and now I have a firm Simmons. The last time I bought a mattress I transferred my hips onto it in the store to try it's firmness--not bad, so I bought it and had it delivered to my house. Slept on it and woke up feeling pain-free. However, transferring out of it was a nightmare. I had to keep trading-out the frame. My mattress is now starting to develop those little "dips" in them. I need to have it flipped and turned. The last and only time that I had it flipped resulted in a tougher transfer for a few days [my body had acclimated to the little dip in the bed].

I am thinking that my next bed may be similar to a waterbed platform frame on small legs with a firm mattress. The small legs to allow a hoyer lift if needed. My friend once had a platform bed custom-made because due to the weird dimensions of her master bedroom. I will probably need either a hoyer lift or a ceiling lift in the future, but I am not there quite yet.

I have to admit though that I am a wee fit of a fan of the head-foot up-and-down beds, as I often get tremendous amounts of swelling in my lower extemities especially if I am constipated or battling an infection. But I have never in 30 years been able to get out of a hospital bed on my own. I planning on struggling with my transfers for a few more years if my body will allow. I have made several adaptations to my home in the last 5 years and am slowly acquiring ADL equipment that I have never used before (ex.- leg lifter, stick with hook to hang clothes in the closet, a grabber).

IMHO I think the visiting nurse needs to adapt. Every home he goes into requires him to adapt to his patient's needs. Your home should meet your needs not his. If he needs a high-low bed he needs to change jobs (eg. nursing homes, respite, hospitals).

Comment

After looking at mattresses for 3 years, I finally made the decision and went with a MountainAir from Denver Mattress. It's similar to Comfort Select but not as expensive, and actually the one we got was a model without any pillow top or added foam. We have it on a regular metal bed frame with casters, used the low profile (5 inch high) box springs, and the total height of the bed is 21". Don had just come home from spending a little over a month in the hospital and then in rehab hospital and he said it is really comfortable. He has a button on his control that he can push to instantly fully inflate it, which makes it easier to transfer on and off. Then he can push another button to recall his softness setting to sleep. We might add a memory foam topper, but the difference between this bed and the one with a pillow top was around $600, and we can easily add more softness on top for that price! In looking at interspring mattresses, everyone who rates mattresses says it's common for pillow tops to get 1 1/2 to 2" deep depressions where they sleep. The only thing you can do is have the mattress rotated, not flipped to help. I'm my husbands caregiver, and I know the low bed problem, but I'm going to get a stool similar to a doctors to sit on when I wash and care for him. Hope you find something you like.

Comment

i like the hospital bed, plus i use the bars to climb up and down the flower to crawl around.
        c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Comment

Got a oversized twin hospital bed with HL, feet head up down. Caregivers use hl a lot..great back saver. Soon to transition to queen bed with electric underneath for head and feet. Not sure if will be too high to transfer.
          Keep moving forward

Comment

The hill-rom hospital bed frame is the best, it has extreme high/low. The looks arent bad and being able to switch between manual/powered chair is easy breezy beautiful cover girl.

Comment

Working...
            X