No announcement yet.

TiLite Aero Z Being Delivered TODAY!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a chair showed up on my step and it had even one spec wrong, it would be going back. They screwed up your chair. It can't just be tweaked. You need a whole new frame. Someone botched your chair. Don't even let them push you into keeping something you don't like. Send that friggin' thing back.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
      Yeah that footplate is way too wide. Not sure I've ever seen a chair that had no taper at all, the DME must have screwed up the order.

Also, by looking at it, I'd say they ordered the 80 degree front end, not 85. Remember to have them switch this too if you wanted 85, when you reorder.
      hello!
      McDuff is right. totally agreed...

just to demonstrate, look my chair above with 16" witdh and 10" front seat taper:

Comment

If there is any dought in your mind about your chair maybe not quite being right..dont sign anything!

It took them 3 months to get my chair here,and im happy with it..but i still wont sign off on it for just as many months as it took for them to deliver it!

Comment

I spoke with my provider yesterday about the issues I've noticed with the chair. I told him about the front end not being tapered and my feet sliding. Since I had taken pics of the chair as soon as he left my house on Wed. I offered to send him a pic of the front end since he didn't recall if it was tapered or not. He agrees that it is NOT tapered. I received a copy of the purchase order when my chair was delivered, so I read that the front end was supposed to be 2.5 inches narrower than seat width. Thanks McDuff (and amyk) for pointing out that this is the INSIDE width and IS 2.5 inches narrower just by taking into account the diameter of the tubing. I am going to shoot off an e-mail to the provider and let him know.
          Should I request that the footrest be 12" or 10" like ChriZ's? I really don't want my feet sliding around and I want to be able to keep my knees together (which I can't do with my feet sliding around!). On the other hand, I don't want my feet to be squished.
          I asked the provider about the front seat height, which unfortunately we can't do much about because I am so tall! I guess I will get used to letting air out of my Varilite Meridian cushion to get under certain tables. Disabled Student Services at school is going to put a height adjustable table in my classroom so that I can fit under that.

Here are the specs as listed in the purchase order.
          TiLite Aero Z
          TiLite Red - High Gloss Paint
          18" - Seat Width
          19" - Seat Depth
          21" - Front Seat Height
          17.5" - Rear Seat Height
          Standard Footrest Set at: 19" - Seat to Footrest
          Set at: 13.5-16.5" - Folding Adj. Height Seat Back w/Push Handles, Back Post Seat
          Aluminum w/TiShaft Back Release Bar - Folding Height Adj. Seat Back w/Push Handles, Back Post Seat
          92* - Seat Back Angle
          3" - Center of Gravity Measurement
          2.5" Narrower than Seat Width - Footrest Width (specify sizes on order form)
          1.5" - Rear Wheel Spacing
          2* - Camber/Camber Tubes
          80* - Front Angle
          4" Plastic Wheel w/Poly Tire - Front Wheels
          Spinergy WIRE w/Low Flange Hub, 25" - Rear Wheels
          25" Primo Treaded - Pneumatic Rear Tires
          Aluminum, Silver Anodized -Handrims
          Composite Scissor Wheel Locks
          Black - Upholstery Color Options
          Omit Back Upholstery - Back Upholstery
          Tension Adj. Bolt On - Seat Upholstery
          Aluminum Rigid Removeable, Standard Side Guards
          Stainless Quick Release - Axles
          Rear Aluminum, Black Anti-Tippers
          Varilite Meridian Cushion w/Mesh 18" x 20"
          Jay Backrest - Posterior Width 18" - Posterior J3 Back
          Jay Backrest - J3 Mid Thoracic Posterior Back 12" Short 18" Back Ht std. Hdw

I want to change the taper on the front end (obviously), probably to 12". I need to talk to the provider about this.
          I want to change the frame angle to 85* (the provider said in our initial fitting that he would order 85*, which didn't happen).
          I also want to change the rear wheel spacing to 1" instead of 1.5". Taking 1" total off my char width will be good.

I might order a pair of 3" casters to see how much lower I can get the front end, hopefully making it easier to slide under tables/desks.
          I also requested a calf strap to keep my legs from falling off the back, which has come VERY close to happening any time I go over a bump (my school has those yellow bumpy things they sometimes put on curb cuts...very annoying!).

When I spoke to the provider yesterday he said that they will order a new frame and I won't have to give this one up until the new one comes in. When the new one gets here they will just swap the frames out and send this one back to TiLite. This made me happy. I kind of relate it to taking candy from a baby, you don't give a person a spiffy new wheelchair only to take it away and make them use their hospital grade wheelchair again for another 3 weeks or so!

This is getting long so I'm gonna end this now. Thanks for your advice everyone!

Mandy
          ~Mandy~
          SCI as a result of spinal surgery
          TiLite Aero Z!!!

Comment

Sounds like you have it well under control. Cool that you get to keep this in the meantime.

Thinking about your front height; if your feet are sliding around as much as you say, could you stand to have a shorter seat to footrest length? Almost sounds like you don't have enough pressure on your feet. How does the cushion feel right at the edge of your legs? Is there too much pressure there, because the feet are not supporting enough? If you could bring up footrest, you could get lower overall height. just thinking...
            "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

i measured my footrest (i got the c package and so was able to specify width) by putting on my biggest boots (turned out to be my sailing boots), sat in my old chair, and measured from just outside one to theother and added about 1/2 inch. came up with 8.5, which is snug, but fits.

if you can sneak your footrest up 1/2 inch, as mcd suggested, you could drop the front down the same amount by switching to 3" casters

Comment

u dont need c pack to taper. i kink down to 11 from 17 wide
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I adjusted my footrest height yesterday and am now at the shortest footrest height allowable with the length of the down tubes. This seems to be perfect and I will order a set of 3" casters from sportaid. I'm thinking about getting the light up casters, but I want to have a pair of everyday casters too (for when I don't want a ton of attention, LOL).

I looked at the order form on TiLite's website earlier to see what the options are for footrest width. They have a 1.5 inch taper that would be 4 inches less than the seat width (14" on my chair) or a 3.5 inch taper that would be 6 inches less than the seat width (12" on my chair). I think that the 12" would be best for me. It would allow me to keep my legs nice and tight but still have a little room for my feet on each side. If I were to go narrower than this I would have to get the "C Package".

I sent off an e-mail to Tim (my provider) this afternoon and he is going to check on the 3 things I brought up. These are the front taper, the front frame angle (80* currently, trying to increase to 85*), and going from 1.5" rear wheel spacing to 1" rear spacing. He is going to contact TiLite and find out about options for all these things.

I have been very satisfied with the help from National Seating and Mobility, the speed at which they respond to concerns and their friendliness. I don't think I could have asked for a better provider.

After posting my message this morning I went to Target for an eye exam. I bought a new pair of glasses and also got contacts for the first time. It is nice to be able to lay in bed and actually read what's on the computer without squinting or laying on my glasses. The contacts felt weird at first but I can't even feel them in at the moment. Very excited to not have to wear glasses all the time! It will be easier to do homework from bed now while I am on the computer (I take an online class).

Mandy
                  ~Mandy~
                  TiLite Aero Z!!!

Comment

I think that will be an awesome looking chair when you get everything straightened out. I've had my Aero Z for a little over a year. It is my first chair also. My seat width is 18" and I have the 12" footrest. It works out pretty good for me. Good Luck!

Comment

i have a tilite trc, and its very easy to change the rear-wheel spacing yourself, once you get it! probably all tilite rigids have the same system... the axle tubes unscrew from each end of the camber tube, and then you can add or remove spacers to change. be careful - the thread is very fine and it takes ages to unscrew completely, but you dont have to remove or dismantle anything apart from the rear wheels. theres a free option on the order form to include extra spacers with your order, so make sure your dme checks it! but of course, you will need to remove and not add...

Comment

Originally posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
                        Should I request that the footrest be 12" or 10" like ChriZ's? I really don't want my feet sliding around and I want to be able to keep my knees together (which I can't do with my feet sliding around!). On the other hand, I don't want my feet to be squished.

I asked the provider about the front seat height, which unfortunately we can't do much about because I am so tall! I guess I will get used to letting air out of my Varilite Meridian cushion to get under certain tables. Disabled Student Services at school is going to put a height adjustable table in my classroom so that I can fit under that.

I want to change the taper on the front end (obviously), probably to 12". I need to talk to the provider about this.
                        I want to change the frame angle to 85* (the provider said in our initial fitting that he would order 85*, which didn't happen).
                        I also want to change the rear wheel spacing to 1" instead of 1.5". Taking 1" total off my char width will be good.
                        I'm tall too! (6'2")
                        When I ordered my chair one of most important changes in comparison to my old chair was the front seat height , the same problem that you, put my legs under the tables, so, I choosed to "low ride" my front (my foot plate stays 2.5" to the floor) the old chair 4".

For Tilite, the minimum is 2".
                        Ask 4" front wheels and if you need, just change the hole fixation, you have 3 options to raise or down your wheels.

My frame measurements are very close yours, I'll post a picture soon.
                        I think that 11" or 12" footrest width will be good for you.

Comment

to choose your footrest width, you need to follow this table above, so if your chair has 18" width, the minimum footrest allowed is 12". to make a personalized measure, you need to order a C package (I think is no necessaryin this case).

front angle: 85°
                          front wheels: 4" softroll
                          front seat height: 19"
                          rear seat height: 16"
                          seat to footrest: 16.5" (0.5 adjustable up or down)
                          footrest to floor: 2.5" (minimal allowed by TiLite is 2") - look the order form
                          Last edited by chriZ; 11 Apr 2009, 10:20 AM. Reason: add information

Comment

those arent options, that built into your frame./

dont mess around send it back. that dme should have already told u that, if he hasnt hes jerking u off, simple.

ok, im 6'2 and run 17wx16d seat , 85 frt at 18.5 frt 14.5 rear

Originally posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
                            I adjusted my footrest height yesterday and am now at the shortest footrest height allowable with the length of the down tubes. This seems to be perfect and I will order a set of 3" casters from sportaid. I'm thinking about getting the light up casters, but I want to have a pair of everyday casters too (for when I don't want a ton of attention, LOL).

I looked at the order form on TiLite's website earlier to see what the options are for footrest width. They have a 1.5 inch taper that would be 4 inches less than the seat width (14" on my chair) or a 3.5 inch taper that would be 6 inches less than the seat width (12" on my chair). I think that the 12" would be best for me. It would allow me to keep my legs nice and tight but still have a little room for my feet on each side. If I were to go narrower than this I would have to get the "C Package".

I sent off an e-mail to Tim (my provider) this afternoon and he is going to check on the 3 things I brought up. These are the front taper, the front frame angle (80* currently, trying to increase to 85*), and going from 1.5" rear wheel spacing to 1" rear spacing. He is going to contact TiLite and find out about options for all these things.

I have been very satisfied with the help from National Seating and Mobility, the speed at which they respond to concerns and their friendliness. I don't think I could have asked for a better provider.

After posting my message this morning I went to Target for an eye exam. I bought a new pair of glasses and also got contacts for the first time. It is nice to be able to lay in bed and actually read what's on the computer without squinting or laying on my glasses. The contacts felt weird at first but I can't even feel them in at the moment. Very excited to not have to wear glasses all the time! It will be easier to do homework from bed now while I am on the computer (I take an online class).

Mandy
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com
                            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

it might also be a good idea to have your dme order a shorter footrest (by 1 or 2 inches maybe) so that when you move it as high as you like, you still have a bit of upward adjustment

Comment

fuente,
                                I have already talked to the DME and he is contacting TiLite to see about getting a replacement frame. I know that these are not "options" built into the frame. The frame was ordered wrong and now needs to be replaced.

amyk,
                                I think I will find a tape measure and measure the length from the seat to footrest where it is located now. If it's possible for me to go with a 20" (or even 20.5") front SFH because I have plenty of clearance I will ask the DME to order it that way with the foot rest set at the correct height (and still have some upward adjustment).

Fact is, there is A LOT of stuff that needed to be ordered differently on this chair. The seat depth is perfect though, as is the backrest height. The seat cushion and back rest make this the most comfortable thing I've EVER sat in!

Mandy
                                ~Mandy~
                                TiLite Aero Z!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X