Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for balance loss while driving??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the photos Darty!

Comment

Believe it or not, my balance got better after ditching the steering wheel spinner knob. Being able to "grasp" (whatever, I'm textbook C6/7) the wheel in more locations than where the spinner was located for turns made a HUGE difference.

Think about it... you lose your balance most often during left turns when? Where is the position of the spinner? Likely somewhere between a 7:00 & 10:00 position? Think how your balance would be affected if you could shuffle your hand(s) along the wheel & almost always keep your right hand between 1:00 & 5:00 on the wheel...

Just my $0.02 for thought... not necessarily recommending doing this w/o fully knowing your abilities.

Comment

I just hope they help....
        ^^(A)^^

Comment

Man I wish I could grab the wheel any kind of way but I can't so the spinner is my only option. I thought it was only me who had the dreaded left turn jitters but I see it's a common problem. I just got this van in December but it's set up just like my old one I have driven it a few thousand miles but I'm still getting comfortable with it.

Here are a few more pictures of my interior setup..

Originally posted by Scott Pruett View Post
          Believe it or not, my balance got better after ditching the steering wheel spinner knob. Being able to "grasp" (whatever, I'm textbook C6/7) the wheel in more locations than where the spinner was located for turns made a HUGE difference.

Think about it... you lose your balance most often during left turns when? Where is the position of the spinner? Likely somewhere between a 7:00 & 10:00 position? Think how your balance would be affected if you could shuffle your hand(s) along the wheel & almost always keep your right hand between 1:00 & 5:00 on the wheel...

Just my $0.02 for thought... not necessarily recommending doing this w/o fully knowing your abilities.
          Attached Files
          ^^(A)^^

Comment

I had the same problem too, I started working with a trainer on strengthening my core(abs, obliques, etc...) what a difference. Sit ups help if you can have someone to work out with you, side to side wood chops, pelvic raises and thrusts. A strong core is the key to good balance. I am a T10 para and am pretty rock solid in the drivers seat. Hope this helps and good luck getting out and driving your self around, it helped my depression.

Comment

Scott has some balls,wow! I did find my balance as well as fatigue got better when I adjusted my tri-pin/spinner.It's different for everyone,I found 6 o'clock to be best for me.

I couldn't imagine driving without a chest strap not only for turns but for downward hills and overall safety.Play around for it's positioning too.

I echo the armrest suggestion, I use mine to give me some leverage to keep myself up.Right turns are my killer and I just use my left elbow to give me my boost back up.

Also,it's very hard for me but the straighter/less slumped that you sit the more balance you have.Good luck.

Comment

just wanted to thank everyone for thoughts, suggestions and pictures. i think i'm getting more comfortable behind the wheel. i've lowered the chest strap making it less restrictive and i started leaning into the turns which seems to help me keep my balance.

Comment

Oh Man it's that simple why didn't I think of that all us quads have to do to get better is work out with a trainer, do some crunches and so on. That's genius...

Originally posted by alex17 View Post
                  I had the same problem too, I started working with a trainer on strengthening my core(abs, obliques, etc...) what a difference. Sit ups help if you can have someone to work out with you, side to side wood chops, pelvic raises and thrusts. A strong core is the key to good balance. I am a T10 para and am pretty rock solid in the drivers seat. Hope this helps and good luck getting out and driving your self around, it helped my depression.
                  ^^(A)^^

Comment

anyone know how to raise the front of a 6 way power seat? mine was setup flat and it makes it difficult to sit right.

Comment

Working...
                    X