Grade Aid/Hill Holder ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grade Aid/Hill Holder ?s

I've read some posts about people using these, but I was hoping to get a better idea as to how well they work. Steeper ramps/inclines are still pretty difficult for me, so I was hoping that these would help me to get stronger and not need help on bigger ramps.

Your thoughts?
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

I liked mine when I needed them and I'm a para. However I didn't always use them and when I got new brakes didn't put them back on. I got them for a really long, really steep ramp going into my house that I could not manage without tipping backward. I moved from there so didn't use them much at all. I just sent mine to November, maybe if she winds up not needing them she'll send them to you to try.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

how do they work tho? fit in front or back?
      Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
      -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

They are in front and attached to a part of your brake. You flip them down when you need them and up when you don't.
        If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Comment

cool thanks.
          Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
          -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

They can come in handy for me. I know some people call them thumb smashers but I never hit my thumbs. They're cool because if you have to stop halfway up, you'll stay put. Knowing you won't roll backwards is a secure feeling.

Comment

I don't know why they are called thumb smashers. The two I've tried sit under/in front of the brake. My hands don't reach the brakes when I'm pushing let alone the grade aids.
              Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I use them on long ramps and they make all the difference in the world for me. I have only had my manual chair since Last July and I have definitely gotten stronger. May creep up a ramp at a snails pace but I am getting there.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the kind of great aid that's built into the brakes:

Here it is unlocked:

Here it is with the assist turned on:

When you wheel forward, the brakes as allowed to move but if you try to wheel backwards, or you start rolling backwards, it binds up against the wheel and won't let you move.

Here it is with just the regular brakes locked:

I hope these pictures help you understand how they work better.
                  You can also get grade aids that are separate from your main brakes in case you have scissor locks or something like that.
                  C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                  Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

thank you so much rybread that helps me visualize it better.
                    -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

Do grade aids only work with air tires?

My ZRA will have Schwalbe Marathon tires...now am I going to have to buy different tires?

jbinny or ashley, the grade aids addiesue sent me may not work on my new wc so if not I would like to find someone else that can use them.

Addiesue, these were on a Quickie right? Just push to lock brakes?
                      Tilite told me I need Sunrise Medical grade aids for the Zra and Sunrise Medical is Quickie I believe.
                      Last edited by november; 27 Mar 2009, 8:11 PM.
                      Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Dang everything is so technical. Yes they came off a Quickie Ti push to lock brakes. Sorry they didn't work.

Comment

I have been rolling for a year and a half now, and I have never heard of these things. I guess that means that I don't really need them! lol It's amazing what I can learn on this forum!!!

Comment

i have solid tires also, not air. I wonder if they work for solids? i have push-to-lock brakes on my tilite tr frame.
                            -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

I can't see an reason why they would be tire specific. Never seen them, but going by Rybreads pics, the holders have their own little gripper teeth, so tread pattern should not matter. An high psi airs, and solids have about the same "squash" factor so as long as they were adjusted right, should work fine on any.

Nov - yes Sunrise is Quickie

edit: but yeah buddy, I'd be smashing the crap out of my thumbs on those things. I hit my push to locks if they don't stay in their outermost position. Just different "strokes" I guess.
                              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Working...
                              X