Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

soft roll casters 5"x1.5" in a tilite zr

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by EddieG11 View Post
    according to the latest Tilite "Eye on Ti" email 1.5" wide casters are available on all chairs now. You can also order Frog Legs "Unitine" forks for Tilites now at sportaid.
    The 4" X1.5" and 5" X1.5" wide casters listed on the new order forms are for poly tires, not soft-roll casters.
    stephen@bike-on.com

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by EddieG11 View Post
      according to the latest Tilite "Eye on Ti" email 1.5" wide casters are available on all chairs now. You can also order Frog Legs "Unitine" forks for Tilites now at sportaid.
      Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
      The 4" X1.5" and 5" X1.5" wide casters listed on the new order forms are for poly tires, not soft-roll casters.
      VICTORY!!!

      Although they would never admit it, my guess is that they finally listened to their end users (BTW: They do monitor CareCure). The FrogLegs soft rollls really do transform the ZR/ZRa. They make the chair more-comfortable and safer over a variety of surfaces. Despite these benefits, they are a much better value than TiLite's soft rolls.

      Even though you can't get the FrogLegs aluminum soft rolls directly from TiLite, I am suspecting they will phase out their own soft rolls and begin offering them soon. Why else would they go through the expense of developing a wider fork simply to offer a cheap 1.5" wide poly caster?

      As for myself, I'm not sold on the Unitine forks yet. Call me "old school", but I think both ends of the axle should secured inside the fork.

      totoL1,

      Please ignore all the previous posts regarding the fork modification, you should be able to do a simple swap if you order the 5x1.5 poly tire on your ZR.

      EddieG,

      I hope you haven't been sitting back watching all of us post to this thread knowing the whole time that TiLite was offering a 1.5" wide caster!

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
        VICTORY!!!


        totoL1,

        Please ignore all the previous posts regarding the fork modification, you should be able to do a simple swap if you order the 5x1.5 poly tire on your ZR.

        Hello, yes I just see it this morning, tilite post me their new order form, and now we only have to change the caster to a solt roll one.
        That`s great

        Comment


          #19
          Given your relationship with them, and your technical capability, I'd be surprised if you would have any problems from them. Your mod is certainly a 'perfectory modification', for sure, and one well worth doing if achieving the 'ultimate roll' is the goal. The only warranty claim I'd personally be remotely worried about is a frame defect, which are few and very far between on Tilite rides! And that's just because it's so expensive to replace.

          Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
          I should also give the disclaimer that I can not guarantee it would work in all possible configurations. The main reason I say this is I noticed that there are spacers which are used to extend the fork stem in the parts manual for the ZR. I've never seen them on a new chair, and I suspect they are available to raise the front STF height on an existing chair. I do not know this for certain, however, hence my disclaimer.

          In addition to my posts on CC, I have been trying to persuade TiLite to widen their forks for some time, so several of their managers/engineers have seen my chair. They haven't expressed any concern about my mod, but they could definitely void my warranty if they chose to do so. Of course they could also "technically" void it because I've modified my back upholstery, installed another manufacturer's wheel locks, and clamped on my own custom push handles.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

          "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
            VICTORY!!!
            This is fantastic! Just goes to show the folks at Tilite give a hoot and aren't in love with their own reflection. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out your influence (and the folks you've influenced here!) helped to prod them along. Awesome. I guess with the fork now available, any 1.5" caster can be used and quite easily swapped back, if needed, for a warranty claim.
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

            "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by DaleB View Post
              This is fantastic! Just goes to show the folks at Tilite give a hoot and aren't in love with their own reflection. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out your influence (and the folks you've influenced here!) helped to prod them along. Awesome. I guess with the fork now available, any 1.5" caster can be used and quite easily swapped back, if needed, for a warranty claim.
              Indeed this is good news -- and about time! I also agree that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that SCI_OTR's influence factored into this development. Now where else can he guide the industry?

              I notice that the Top End basketball chair has a carbon fiber footplate. It's not a new option for Top End, so why doesn't TiLite offer it instead of the cheaper-looking ABS plastic? Why don't they offer a carbon fiber seat pan? Neither requires additional engineering or tooling.

              And if the folks at TiLite are really monitoring this forum, I'd like to encourage them to offer a locking hub system like the one I had one-offed for my ZR from Surelockinc.com. I think this system would interest a lot of users. I think it makes garden variety wheelchair locks obsolete.
              stephen@bike-on.com

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                Given your relationship with them, and your technical capability, I'd be surprised if you would have any problems from them. Your mod is certainly a 'perfectory modification', for sure, and one well worth doing if achieving the 'ultimate roll' is the goal. The only warranty claim I'd personally be remotely worried about is a frame defect, which are few and very far between on Tilite rides! And that's just because it's so expensive to replace.
                Actually, my fork modification to use the soft rolls was as much as for safety as anything else. Since my ZRc was an out of pocket expense, I could not justfy to myself the additional cost of their 4x1 soft rolls and opted for 4x1 roller blades instead (I would not have been able to afford Spinergys either had it not been for a $300 upgrade special from Sportaid if they were ordered on a new chair).

                Twice in the first month, I did endos going over surface discrepancies of <1/4" and found myself having to do mini-wheelies over just about anything that wasn't higher than a small pebble. Cantilevered frame wheelchairs with 85 degree front frame angles, seat depths <=16", and higher front STF heights will tend to do that. While far from scientific, you may remember this poll I posted.

                https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=91333

                I emailed the results to folks in pretty high places at Quickie, TiLite, and Invacare/Top End as well as to other seating therapists I know around the country.

                Most of the folks from the manufacturers were appreciative of my input, however a few attributed the issue to the need to "educate the user" or implied that my setup was too "front heavy" (which I can assure you it's not). This CYA attitude bothered me because many of their end users are relatively inexperienced and advanced expertise in wheelchair skills has never been a requirement to buy their products.

                I found that, with no other changes in setup, soft rolls greatly reduced the frequency of having to do mini-wheelies and all but eliminated my risk of endos when encountering cracks in the sidewalk. They also reduced the need to have to reposition my feet on the footrest.

                Since over half of the respondents to my poll had also taken endos under similar circumstances, might there be an issue here that should warrant further investigation? I believed this to be especially true with TiLite because their fork made it difficult or very expensive to address any issues their users might experience once they've received their chairs. Besides, as stephen212 can attest, they make an excellent chair even that much better.

                I'm very pleased to see that they have widened their fork. I don't think the Crossfire fork mod is possible on anything other than the ZR, TX, or TR, and the majority of the TiLite's I spec out are adjustable models. It's nice to know that I will not have to go with a 1" longer frame, a larger diameter caster, or another manufacturer's fork to address any endo issues.

                BTW, did anyone notice that TiLite will now paint their titanium chairs? While I am also sure that is the result of customer feedback, I am in no way associated with that one! Call me old school.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                  BTW, did anyone notice that TiLite will now paint their titanium chairs? While I am also sure that is the result of customer feedback, I am in no way associated with that one! Call me old school.
                  I noticed too this and look forward to seeing paint samples (as best they can be reproduced) on their website. Top End offers painted Ti chairs as well. Of course durability of the paint is an issue that you don't have to contend with on a satin or polished Ti frame.
                  stephen@bike-on.com

                  Comment


                    #24
                    There were lots of welcome changes on their order form. I like the lock down backrest option too.

                    I'm quite curious as to what the 'translucent' paint looks like! Sounds interesting.

                    FWIW, I use 1.5" Froglegs softrolls on all of my chairs ('cept bball). I won't roll without them until someone builds a better mouse trap. They are the best of breed caster, hands down, IMO.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                      Do you know the angle that Tilite ZR gives to the footrest when is not adjustable.
                      Tilite send me a post telling me that they give to their footrest when they aren`t adjustable an angle with 5º.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                        Tilite send me a post telling me that they give to their footrest when they aren`t adjustable an angle with 5º.
                        You can also make a custom request. I had my footrest positioned so that it's parallel to the ground.
                        stephen@bike-on.com

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                          You can also make a custom request. I had my footrest positioned so that it's parallel to the ground.
                          I ask them and this is what the say: I will check with Custom shop to see if we can do a custom angle on the footplate to be 10 degrees.

                          I would like an angle between 10º-15º

                          Comment


                            #28
                            It'll likely come down to your front STF height and seat to foot rest measurement, whether or not a 15 degree angle will work. Either of these measurements coudl impact the ability to get that much angle before the back of the footrest hits the ground. You may have to compromise on either or both of these measurements to get what you want. Let us know what Tilite says. Inquiring minds want to know!
                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                            "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by daleb View Post
                              this is fantastic! Just goes to show the folks at tilite give a hoot and aren't in love with their own reflection. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out your influence (and the folks you've influenced here!) helped to prod them along. Awesome. I guess with the fork now available, any 1.5" caster can be used and quite easily swapped back, if needed, for a warranty claim.
                              bout time. Now how is the pricing. I still want to dump my frogs, think they would help me out and do an even swap??
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                                It'll likely come down to your front STF height and seat to foot rest measurement, whether or not a 15 degree angle will work. Either of these measurements coudl impact the ability to get that much angle before the back of the footrest hits the ground. You may have to compromise on either or both of these measurements to get what you want. Let us know what Tilite says. Inquiring minds want to know!

                                Here you can see perfectly the difference that the back of the footrest it`s going to have with the different angles.

                                The difference of a 5º to 10º it`s 1.6cm=0.62" and 5º to 15º it`s 3.1cm=1.22"
                                When tilite answer me with the reply I`ll post it here.
                                Last edited by totoL1; 6 Jan 2009, 3:07 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X