Lifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifts

I was wondering if I could get some help. I was having an idea of putting a lift from a van in my garage. I am looking to get rid of the wooden ramp due to space reasons and wanted a lift but I didn't want to pay 7000.00 dollars for one. So I thought if I could get a van lift and utilize a converter for power or maybe utilize a car battery with a trickle charger. I was wondering if anyone else has attempted this and had success or no success. Let me know either way. I can get a van lift for 1500.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Look at local classifieds, I found a real house elevator for my aunt in very good condition for 500$ and there were many other used ones under 1500$, a much better solution IMO, good luck.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

I see porch type lifts all the time on eBay.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I've seen van lifts used the way you describe hooked to a car battery.

Comment

Did they look like they worked. I'm looking to put one in to save on room. Also to save on money.

Comment

I apologizefor not replying sooner, I haven't been on here. The lift I saw was mounted to a wooden frame. All you'd need is a sturdy platform to bolt to. I'd look for an all electric (non hydraulic) lift. I just picked up a ricon unilite; all electric, weighs 160lbs and can handle 600lbs. for a low price on ebay. Something like that could work.

Comment

Originally posted by JAYCUE View Post
              I just picked up a ricon unilite; all electric, weighs 160lbs and can handle 600lbs. for a low price on ebay.

how much $$ was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett View Post

how much $$ was it?
                $760 but almost half of that was shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by RJP View Post
                  I was wondering if I could get some help. I was having an idea of putting a lift from a van in my garage. I am looking to get rid of the wooden ramp due to space reasons and wanted a lift but I didn't want to pay 7000.00 dollars for one. So I thought if I could get a van lift and utilize a converter for power or maybe utilize a car battery with a trickle charger. I was wondering if anyone else has attempted this and had success or no success. Let me know either way. I can get a van lift for 1500.
                  I had a similar situation a few years ago; was amazed & distressed at how expen$ive porch lifts were (about $10k). I didn't need to ascend a full flight - just a few steps in the carport. A eureka moment occurred when I realized the distance needed to raise was similar to that of a full-size van lift!

I bought a used van lift (for $550); a carpenter removed the steps, built a stout platform & frame within which the van lift was mounted; a car mechanic friend hooked up a 12volt battery/charger/wires/switch. It works GREAT!!
                  "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Comment

Lifts

Thanks for the info. The cheapest one I can find is 2k. I've been looking on ebay but this one is local from a dealer and the gurantee that it works so I don't know.

Comment

How far does a van lift normally raise up? I am thinking of trying this for our garage but I need for it to raise 31". We built the garage a bit bigger to accomadate a ramp but hate using all that floor space for a ramp.
                      A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

Check craigslist for lifts also. I see van and porch lifts on there from time to time.
                        http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/for/912941495.html
                        I think the travel of van lifts vary. 31 should be ok for some.

Comment

I did find a van lift (no porch lift) on craigslist in my area but it didn't state the travel of the lift. I couldn't even find the info on Braun's website maybe it was there and I just missed it will look again. Thanks for the info.
                          A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                          X