Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Core 3 Spoke Wheelchair Wheels

Hello,
    Anyone is using that wheels?.. How is it?.. I'm worrying about handrims.. I don't like anodized, we have vinyl coated and foam coated. Ergonomics sound expensive. I'm afraid to have burning handrims while braking. What do you think?.. Thanks
    G78

I use them daily with vinyl handrims. No problems here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
      I use them daily with vinyl handrims. No problems here.
      .. thanks, Scoot.. Talking about vinyl handrims, you never have burning hands while going down long steep roads?.. I'm on stainless steal handrims, and sometimes it burns hands..
      Thanks
      G78

Comment

oh, the vinyl will burn your hands. I have a pair of leather gloves that I take with me if I know I'll be facing a lot of hills/distance.

there's no easy solution if you go w/o hand protection, aside from ADI's disc brakes, perhaps.

http://accessibledesigns.com/brake.htm

Comment

I have both X Cores and Spinergies and like the Spinergies much better, they are a lot lighter and easier to handle and the price is not much different.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

i have to agree with Curt. the x-cores are more difficult to handle when you're taking them off and putting them on (i.e getting in an out of the car). If you can hold a basketball like most people hold a baseball, you shouldn't have any problems. They do draw attention though. I found it funny that everyone who loved the x-cores were AB folks.
            July 2006 T3/T4 Para

Out of all the schooling and course work and parenting i received, i can't help but think someone should have warned me about this....Paralysis Blows.

Comment

they're actually easier for me to get in/out of a car. i typically grab one of the three spokes & just throw the wheels in the back.

sure, they weigh more (plus i use 'em w/ mtb tires), but the weight difference isn't significant enough for me to care.

Comment

the weight difference is significant.... i tacoed an xcore. it surprised me. now i only spin spinergies...

Comment

how'd you taco an xcore? i've tacoed a couple rims mountain biking, but i was a LOT harder on my bike than i think i have the ability to be on my chair.

anyway, the weight difference is noticeable, sure. i used to have a set of Spinergy LXs; i've used both.

in terms of making pushing significantly easier? not so much, IMO.

Comment

Just bringing back this thread, I was looking at my lonely X cores sitting in the garage and adjusted them for my Tennis Chair today, going to try them out tomorrow night at Tennis practice. My current spinergies flex a lot because they are only 12 spoke wheels and the X cores are very stiff, maybe too stiff. Anyhow, I'll let you all know how they work out, it sure would be nice if I moved better on them although I'm not counting on it, if nothing else they look pretty great on the Tennis chair.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 10-05-2014, 07:05 PM.
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

The X-cores are a classic. However, they weigh a ton and had issues with the hub dislodging from the composite. The manufacturer eventually redesigned the hub with reinforcements and made the wheel even heavier in the process. I never hear from anyone looking to buy them. Did I mention they're a classic?
                      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

That's one thing I'm kinda nervous about having them on the tennis chair as I can imagine with the extreme camber it will put even more stress on the hub, oh well I guess I'll take the risk and try them out, I have the feeling I'm going to be pulling them off pretty quick anyhow as more than likely the tennis chair will be even more sluggish. I may put them on my everyday chair for awhile just for a change of pace if they don't work out on the tennis chair.
                        "Life is about how you
                        respond to not only the
                        you have no goals, no
                        mountains to climb, your
                        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Curt,

Regarding "... extreme camber ..." - be careful. When last investigated, the three spoke version permitted a maximum camber - within warranty parameters - of 4 degrees.

Incidentally, the three spoke X-Core wheels are visually appealing and exceptionally helpful with regard to being easy to keep clean.

Comment

How heavy are the bare wheels? And why did Curt say sluggish? Is there a problem with bearings not lining up correctly with each other or the wheel? I could be interested in finding a cheap-craigslist pair.
                            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I had a few sets. really liked them, but I did experience the hub issue Steve mentioned.
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                              X