Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelchair ramp advise needed

Hello,

I need a wheelchair ramp outside of the house going to the front door that will support a motorized wheelchair as well as a stretcher to get my mother in and out of my house.

I have a 5-step cement porch with a 42" rise from ground to door threshold and 56" between the cast iron railings on each side of the porch.

It seems like I have 2 options as far as design goes:

1) L-shaped: Coming straight out the front door with a platform and descending forward into the front yard, then 90 degree angle toward the driveway. This design takes up a lot of the front yard.

2) Zig-zag shaped: Coming straight out the front door with a platform and going along the front of the house under the bay window, then a 180 degree turn and back over the walkway towards the driveway. This design requires the removal of one of the cast iron railings as well as the bushes under the bay window.

I am concerned about the following:

A) Which material would be best to build the ramp with, treated wood, metal or composite material i.e. Trex.

B) The ramp being able to support the motorized wheelchair as well as the stretcher.

C) The decking surface becoming slippery in rain, snow and icy conditions.

D) The stretcher having enough room to turn around the 90 and/or 180 degree turns.

E) Ongoing maintenance.

F) Removal and/or potential resale of the ramp when no longer needed.

G) Cost.

Also, if anyone knows of any resources in Connecticut that can help with design, materials, building and/or financing, I’d really appreciate the info.

Thanks!

How long do you plan on being in the home?
    Originally posted by fuentejps
    injecting is way better for your body. but imo opinion its the only safe way

Comment

It's hard to say but I don't think much longer than 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by Mnea
        It's hard to say but I don't think much longer than 5 years
        If that is the case then I would go with the cheapest way out which would be PT.If you go straight out your front door that would be 42' so you would need to turn it somewhere or not go by code and go 1/1/2" or 2" per foot to cut down the 42'. I would build it in 2 sections and have a 6'x 6' deck in the middle for turning the stretcher. Resale would be hard as it would be 5 years old.

Comment

My suggestions are based on what we did at my house. L-shaped sounds ideal for what you're asking. If you'd post pics it'd make things easier. We built an L-shaped ramp coming off my back deck to emptying to my driveway. It's 36'' wide with 36'' railings on both sides. Not sure of the actual drop but you can see in the pics.

Pic 1-Approx. 14'x3' ramp to a 4'x4' landing. The right turns to stairs for the backyard and left to driveway.
          Pic 2-Approx. 20'x3' ramp from landing to driveway.
          Pic 3-View from back of 1st pic's drop.

A-We used treated wood donated from a friend's friend.

B-No prob. supporting my powerchair as long as correct supports were installed during the build.

C-The steepness will determine traction in inclement weather. ADA standards are 1' out for every 1'' of drop, so if you have 36'' high steps you will need 36' of ramp. If you build it privately with no permits you can make it to your liking like we did. However, if you hire a co., they will possibly adhere to ADA regs..

D-A stretcher shouldn't be a prob., but the guys would have to lift above the railing at the turn.

E-Very low maintence. All we do is pressure wash and stain once/year to protect the wood.

F-I foresee no removal as if it's built nice it will add to the home as far as resale. You could actually build a small deck at the steps (6'x6') and then come off of it.

G-No way to determine cost until you decide on something. Do you have friends that could build it? My brother and friends built mine and I was luckily only out pizza and beer. Go to your local church and home repair store and see if they'll help lend a hand.. couldn't hurt.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

If you need to pull a permit you will probably need to follow ADA guidelines 1 foot of ramp for every inch of elevation. There are also ADA guidelines re size of platform at door and you will need a platform for so many feet of ramp (sorry I forgot how many feet of ramp require a platform). Ramp costs should be deductible.

Comment

what we have always done is build a deck with 2 edges equaling the feet you need and wrapping the ramp around it. For example if you need 42 feet of ramp then do a deck with one edge being 20ft and the other edge being 22. Makes a nice big deck which always adds to resale if made nicely. Though we've never buolt a ramp with the 1:12 grade as a powerchair doesn't need such a slight incline. Our first deck was plywood which did get icy if not shoveled promptly, our current deck is cedar boards which does not get slippery as the slats create traction.
              Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

I can tell you that on my ramp for my front door (which is discreet, short and steep and pretty much just an emergency usage thing) which is painted to match the house, we used grip tape (sold in skateboard shops or online) for traction on the painted surface.
                An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp
                  If you need to pull a permit you will probably need to follow ADA guidelines 1 foot of ramp for every inch of elevation. There are also ADA guidelines re size of platform at door and you will need a platform for so many feet of ramp (sorry I forgot how many feet of ramp require a platform). Ramp costs should be deductible.
                  You only need to follow ADA guidelines in public places.

Comment

Based on the information you provided, I would chose the L shape and use PT SYP. As has been said, ADA guidelines call for a 1/12 maximum slope, but the pitch you use will be determined by safety, available space and perhaps your local codes. The ADA calls for a maximum uninterrupted run of 30' before arriving at a flat with a 5' turning radius.
                    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I attached some pics....starting with the top row from left to right: Pic#1 is a straight on view of the front porch and door. Pic#2 is looking down the walk-way, which forks around bushes to the driveway. Pic#3 is reverse angle view of pic# 2 looking up walk-way towards front porch and door. Pic# 4 shows fork in walk-way around bushes to the driveway.

If I go with 42' of ramp and L-shaped, I'd have to go out pretty far into the front yard underneath a huge pine tree and then a 90 degree turn towards the driveway, which would land somewhere along the top side of the fork that leads to the driveway.

If I go with 42' of ramp and zig-zag
                      shaped: I'd have to go along the front of the house under the bay window, then a 180 degree turn and back over the walkway towards the driveway, which would land just before the fork in the walk-way. This design requires the removal of one of the cast iron railings and most likely the bushes under the bay window.

What is PT or PT SYP?

How safe would it be for a motorized wheelchair and stretcher on a 1 1/2" per foot slope...especially in snow and ice conditions?

What are proper supports and how is a wooden ramp secured to ground and porch/house?

What determines whether or not you need a permit or not?

How big should landings be to accommodate the stretcher at top where the storm door opens outward and for the 90 or 180 degree turns?

Originally Posted by Emi2
                      what we have always done is build a deck with 2 edges equaling the feet you need and wrapping the ramp around it. For example if you need 42 feet of ramp then do a deck with one edge being 20ft and the other edge being 22.
                      That sounds great...Do you have any pics?

Originally Posted by feisty
                      ...we used grip tape (sold in skateboard shops or online) for traction on the painted surface.
                      Do you have to contend with snow and ice conditions?
                      Last edited by Mnea; 10-04-2008, 08:21 PM.

Comment

You might want to consider a porch lift planted next to the steps. They are easy to sell when no longer needed.

Comment

Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
                          My suggestions are based on what we did at my house. L-shaped sounds ideal for what you're asking. If you'd post pics it'd make things easier. We built an L-shaped ramp coming off my back deck to emptying to my driveway. It's 36'' wide with 36'' railings on both sides. Not sure of the actual drop but you can see in the pics.

Pic 1-Approx. 14'x3' ramp to a 4'x4' landing. The right turns to stairs for the backyard and left to driveway.
                          Pic 2-Approx. 20'x3' ramp from landing to driveway.
                          Pic 3-View from back of 1st pic's drop.

A-We used treated wood donated from a friend's friend.

B-No prob. supporting my powerchair as long as correct supports were installed during the build.

C-The steepness will determine traction in inclement weather. ADA standards are 1' out for every 1'' of drop, so if you have 36'' high steps you will need 36' of ramp. If you build it privately with no permits you can make it to your liking like we did. However, if you hire a co., they will possibly adhere to ADA regs..

D-A stretcher shouldn't be a prob., but the guys would have to lift above the railing at the turn.

E-Very low maintence. All we do is pressure wash and stain once/year to protect the wood.

F-I foresee no removal as if it's built nice it will add to the home as far as resale. You could actually build a small deck at the steps (6'x6') and then come off of it.

G-No way to determine cost until you decide on something. Do you have friends that could build it? My brother and friends built mine and I was luckily only out pizza and beer. Go to your local church and home repair store and see if they'll help lend a hand.. couldn't hurt.
                          Hey 2JazzyJeff,
                          Nice deck on your house. I like it.

Comment

PT = Pressure Treated
                            SYP = Southern Yellow Pine

Basically, the green, yellow or brown wood at your local big box home center. Lowe's, Home Depot.

There are tons of ways to fasten to ground and porch. Specialty galvanized hardware is always a good choice. As to turning that stretcher, the bigger the better. Depends on how easy you want the turn to be. Eight feet should do it - more is better. I suggest you cut a stick the length of the stretcher and mock out your turn with spray paint, making tape or stakes and string.

You might see if there is a professional in your area who would work with you as a consultant on your project.

Your local building laws determine what work requires a permit. If in doubt, consult your local building dept.
                            Last edited by Foolish Old; 10-04-2008, 08:47 PM.
                            Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames
                              You might want to consider a porch lift planted next to the steps...
                              Would a porch lift work for a stretcher?

Comment

Working...
                              X