air or solid tires , no comparison solid for sure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air or solid tires , no comparison solid for sure

i just put my old set of pneumatic tires on my chair . it didnt take me but a day to figure out why anyone would have air over solid tires. i use mako solids . you never have to worry about low air or flats .
    so if you have air . do yourself a big favor and get a set of solid tires . sportaid sells a set for $42 dollars and they last 3yrs plus .

Where do I find 26"ers though.......

Dave
    Dave

Comment

Glad you found what works best for you! I'm always in gravel and vastly perfer air.
      Andrew

Comment

so if you are on gravel you use the off road tire , do you use green slime to seal your air tires . i love this stuff .
        i think mako makes 26 solids . i have 24 spinergys , man spinergys make life easier and they look good . if your going to be in a chair get a good titanium and get a set of spinergys and a jay extreme back or a variltie if your a quad . ive got a quickie ti its 5yrs old still in excellent condition and the frame has a lifetime warranty

Comment

shox makes a 26 in solid tire on sportaid

Comment

Originally posted by hodad123
            shox makes a 26 in solid tire on sportaid
            Thanks! I'll take a look at those. I couldn't find a true 590mm in a Mako.

Dave
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Herco16
              Thanks! I'll take a look at those. I couldn't find a true 590mm in a Mako.

Dave

i'm not sure they make a 'true' anything...i think their 540 and 559 is the same tire, just streeeeetched a bit more when put on.
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Be warned, the solids don't roll as nice. I think its ause they dont give like air tires

Comment

i agree the feel is hard but i hate doing all the maintenance on air , i really dont think its that bad . i know how bad it is when your out with friends and you have a flat . no worries with solids .

Comment

The young lady I had in rehab did a great job in assesing my needs in a chair. She knew I'd be active, outdoors camping, fishing , so went with solids and I think they're great. No worries ay all, I'd hate to have to worry about wheels too! Like we don't have enuf to woory about.

Comment

ill never use air again. shox r my faves 110 mach psi. worry free. they roll great
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com
                      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

John, I know you roll a lot.... how long does a set last and are they hard to change?

I go through a set of Primos evry 1-2 months.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

From my experience...they are not hard to change if you have a pair of channel locks (to help get them off) and the Kik tool to get them on. You clamp the channel locks on the worn tire and pull the tire towards you...then you just roll the rest of the tire off the rim. The kik tool helps stretch the tire over the rim.

My kiks lasted a couple years. Just put on Shox...and like them much more than the kiks for certain.
                          "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

hey 'coach - would you mind describing the use of the Kik tool? i have one but no instructions and it doesn't seem to work very well at all. must be something i'm doing.

i resorted to soaking in super hot tub water for 5 minutes then putting right on - goes on with little effort then shrinks back down to normal in 10-15 minutes as it cools.
                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Herco16
                              John, I know you roll a lot.... how long does a set last and are they hard to change?

I go through a set of Primos evry 1-2 months.

Dave
                              8mths to 1yr dave. try them. cheap too.
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                              X