No announcement yet.

colours portable hand controls (pics) -- updated w/ photo of MPDs installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott, thanks man. Will keep those things in mind.

Chick, yea, still beating around in my S-10. I like my YOU's...
    Every day deserves a little time off.

Comment

Just wanted to comment on these controls, I have been using them as my "temporary" controls for about 10 months now, and it looks like they are going to more or less be my permanent controls.

The work just fine for normal driving, and I dont think that they are unsafe. The thumb does tend to fatigue when pressing the gas constantly, but it is easy to either press with the palm, or switch hands and use your right hand for gas/brake while steering with your left.

The only issue I have had so far happened yesterday driving home from thanksgiving dinner with the family. The gas shaft unscrewed itself and came loose from the base. (basically the clamp was still attached to the pedal, but the rod that you push on unscrewed itself from that pedal) it wasnt a big deal, but i will have to watch it from now on, the gas rod can spin, so it can undo itself, but the brake doesnt spin since it has the gas lever going thru it, so it is not an issue with the brake (which could be considerably more dangerous.

just something to watch on these controls

Comment

I have had monarch hand controls break and "fall off" while driving and I have a set of MPD in my airport landcruiser that for some reason cannot be tightened beyond snug because of some brackets under the dash. I have several different types of portable controls that I use on rental cars and atv's (rhino, RZR). Last year I was in NYC and needed some portables so I went to a hardware store out on LI and fabbed some portables out of stainless tube, zip ties and duct tape. Then drove through NYC for two weeks with rental car equipped with these. In Alaska once I safety wired an axe head to the brake pedal and taped a broken broom stick to the gas and drove my brothers F350 from valdez to anchorage by starting it in gear and powershifting. In the middle of winter. I have made "portable" hand controls many times over the past 18 years.

I dont feel that one way was ever safer than the other. There are many different types of hand controls; left hand, right hand, floor mount, portable, steering wheel rings, motorcycle style, portable, etc, etc. Find what you are most comfortable with and use it. Inspect them often.

Comment

Originally posted by bcripeq View Post
          I dont feel that one way was ever safer than the other.
          Perception is the only reality.

C.

Comment

I am in the process of completing my hand controls. I want to start selling them as they work much better than the portable controls that are out now. And I will be selling them for less than the 300 or so that they go for now. I elmimated the thumb pressing for the gas. I do not want to disclose too much info because I do not have a patent on them yet, but they will be completed this week. Anyone who is interested in them let me know through pm. I will let you know how much they cost and how exactly how they operate. I'm trying to make some money for my family and also provide quality products to the sci community. I don't know why we get charged so much for products. Most of us live off ssi and our income is limited. Yet if we want things like hand controls or hand cycles we have to spend thousands of dollars when an able bodied person can pick up a huffy for 100 bucks at costco...

Comment

Best of luck, arod!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing View Post
                Perception is the only reality.

C.
                That is true on both accounts..... I have had both major brands of "permanent" hand controls fail. Both were installed by "pros".

Comment

Thanks Scorpion...

Comment

Originally posted by arod636 View Post
                    I am in the process of completing my hand controls. I want to start selling them as they work much better than the portable controls that are out now.
                    Have you looked into liability on this? You may have designed a great product, but you can never be too careful. You may not have much to lose at this moment in your life, but all it takes is one jackhole to sue you into bankruptcy or worse.

Good luck.

C.

Comment

I will take the necessary measures when they are completed and ready for distribution... Thank you though

Comment

i just ordered a set of Z4 Portable Hand Control from sportaid. i use to have the pch 3's and they werent bad but i loaned them out to my friend and she is still using them. so she is sending me a check for them, and i decided to try these out. i have the MPD's for my permanent ones but some old guy ran a stop sign saturday and totalled my car. so i need a set of portables for my rental and new car before i get my perm's installed. i was going to get the new colours ones but i heard they been having problems with the paint coming off them. its the same style though.
                        Josh S.
                        T6 complete as of 7/17/03

Comment

Originally posted by joshstevens7 View Post
                          i just ordered a set of Z4 Portable Hand Control from sportaid.
                          These are good controls, quick to install and easy and comfortable to use. I have no hand strength (C6-7) and have no issue using them.

Comment

Working...
                          X