"New" chair -- Lasher Sport BT-Mg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"New" chair -- Lasher Sport BT-Mg

So I got this chair two months ago, but haven't had the internet because I also recently moved and got married, so lots of stuff has been going on.

I know there has been a lot of hype about the Lasher chairs, so I'll give my review after I put a few pics.

Specs (if I remember correctly)

14"w x 16"d
    rear seat height 17"
    front seat height 20"
    85 degree front end
    14" backrest height
    3 x 1.5 softroll casters
    25" wheels
    scissor locks
    10" front end
    3.5" rear axle position
    carbon side guards and aluminum footrest (I added skateboard grip tape)
    Godspeed...
    freewheelchairmission.org

Well, I'll begin by saying I really like the chair. It looks really nice. I was using a 16 x 18 quickie Ti and it just did not fit me well like this one. I can get through many more places. I have not weighed the chair, but my wife claims it's easier to put in the back of her suv. I like the little things like shiny metal caster housing caps and rear frame caps.

The backrest does not lock, which isn't too much of a problem for me except when getting pushed up VERY steep hills. The backrest angle is adjustable by removing or adding washers to the bottom of the posts (see pic). This is cool because since the rear axle cannot be moved, you can adjust the "tippiness" of the chair with this angle.

Here is the only complaint that I have. Since the chair is somewhat "hand built" it lacks some of the precision of a Quickie or Ti-Lite. Example: the left front caster occasionally leaves the ground very slightly so it means something is not exact, either the casters or the rear wheels or something. It is not enough to notice, but enough to "notice" if that makes sense.

The marathon tires are heavier, which I've mentioned before. I actually requested primos, but it came with schwalbes so miscommunication somewhere. Though the black on black looks nice.

The uni-tine caster forks look cool, but seem harder to adjust for bearing tightness, etc.

I've only used titanium in the past and this painted frame is prone to scratches. I have to be really careful when going through doors and stuff. I already have a few scratches (esp. around the caster housings) in just two months.

The 1.3" Magnesium seems much stiffer than my 1" frame Quickie Ti. It still rides smoothly, but there is very little frame flex. To me this should enhance efficiency. Your push motion is not lost to frame flex. I cannot compare it exactly to my Quickie because the rear seat height is different. My Quickie was 16" which is probably more efficient, but I wanted to be taller, so I added an inch. It is still pretty easy to push around as a C6 quad with limited triceps.

I really like the chair, but as some have said it may not be worth the extra price. I justified it to myself this way: It may not be twice as good as other chairs half the price, but I use it all day, every day, so it is worth the investment.
    Last edited by JoeyMearig; 21 Aug 2008, 6:36 PM.
    Godspeed...

Comment

I like it, when stuff is real expensive sometimes expectations are hard to meet,anyways, roll on!

Comment

If you loosen the footrest and the camber tube clamps, you should be able to reshape the frame to correct a floating caster. See the TiLite rigid owner's manual for specifics.

Comment

Very very nice...grats! Love the clean look especially the carbon side guards.
          May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Comment

sweet chair. i cant see how its worth the cash. for the money they should be able to come up w/ better back angle adj.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Congrats on your cool new chair! Do you know how much it weighs as pictured?
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Mg doesn't bend very well. Be very careful if you try to fix the castor.

Comment

mmmmmm....purrrty.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

14" width!?!

What is the widest part of your hips or thighs measure to allow you to squeeze into that?
                    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by november
                      14" width!?!

What is the widest part of your hips or thighs measure to allow you to squeeze into that?
                      My pelvis is actually kind of wide, but I have no fat, so I can still fit.

Don't tell any of the PTs, but when I wear jeans I touch both side guards. The carbon fiber is flexible and bends out if I put too much pressure against it, so that prevents excessive pressure on my hips. If it becomes a problem, I'll space the side guards out a little more.

My main problem is my pelvis is not straight so I hit the right side guard much more than the left. Even in my 16" chair I occasionally found myself pressed against the right side guard with a large gap on the left. I'm sure there is a cushion out there to straighten me out, but haven't found it yet.
                      Godspeed...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyMearig
                        My pelvis is actually kind of wide, but I have no fat, so I can still fit.

Don't tell any of the PTs, but when I wear jeans I touch both side guards. The carbon fiber is flexible and bends out if I put too much pressure against it, so that prevents excessive pressure on my hips. If it becomes a problem, I'll space the side guards out a little more.

My main problem is my pelvis is not straight so I hit the right side guard much more than the left. Even in my 16" chair I occasionally found myself pressed against the right side guard with a large gap on the left. I'm sure there is a cushion out there to straighten me out, but haven't found it yet.
                        Have you tried the Roho Nexus Spirit. It has great pelvis positioning.
                        http://www.rohoinc.com/products/seat...it_cushion.jsp

http://www.sportaid.com/product.php?...-NS&mode=build

Not sure why the Roho site doesn't list all the sizes available. If interested I would call and see what dimensions they have and some are 1.5" longer to accomodate the hard backs and losing depth. Anyways I've used one for 5+ yrs and had no skin issues because the air cells in the back. I rarely ever have pumped it up, it stays filled. I actually probably overfill it to be safe and it has never bottomed out. I'm thin too, no redness using it.
                        Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

That's actually the cushion I've been using since I first left rehab. This one is 14 x 16 (not listed on roho's site). It might be a little longer, but I'm about 6' tall, so the extra length is ok. The 18" chair was too long though, always pushing against my legs, and I actually cut it back and bought a shorter cushion after a few years.

I think the ride designs custom cushion may be what I need. My left butt cheek sinks way down, while the right doesn't, so I may need a custom cushion that will compensate.
                          Godspeed...

Comment

Do you have a stiff seatpan?
                            Had the samne issue untill I got one.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyMearig
                              That's actually the cushion I've been using since I first left rehab. This one is 14 x 16 (not listed on roho's site). It might be a little longer, but I'm about 6' tall, so the extra length is ok. The 18" chair was too long though, always pushing against my legs, and I actually cut it back and bought a shorter cushion after a few years.

I think the ride designs custom cushion may be what I need. My left butt cheek sinks way down, while the right doesn't, so I may need a custom cushion that will compensate.
                              Hey, I tried!

Would you actually measure your 14x16 Nexus and give me exact measurements? Please.

My new chair will probably be 15x16 but I'm curious on actual cushion measurements. My 16x18 cushion measures 16x19.5. This chair also rubs behind my knees, no clearance at all. Just don't want 16 to be too short in a wc depth or cushion depth.

Comment

Working...
                              X