Cushions the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cushions the car?

My husband is looking for a good cushion to use while driving long distances to rehab each week. Any recommendations?

His wheelchair cushion unless it makes him too tall. If so, a low profile Roho might be the next best. Is he driving all the way to Enroe?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I went to an upholstery shop and had them install memory foam into the seat for less than $100.00

Dave
      Dave

Comment

I sit on my hands, with them under my hips I can weight shift. I then also check for wrinkles in my clothes.
        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by SoulScream
          I sit on my hands, with them under my hips I can weight shift. I then also check for wrinkles in my clothes.

i must be missing something - how do you drive while sitting on your hands?!?!?!?

OP - i use a roho low profile in my car (accord) and a roho countour in my van. the contour keeps my legs in place given the much more upritght seating position in the van, where they tend to shear from side to side badly when turning.

gl

dale
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
            His wheelchair cushion unless it makes him too tall. If so, a low profile Roho might be the next best. Is he driving all the way to Enroe?

(KLD)
            He's actually driving to Pleasanton to SCI-Fit. It's kind of a knock off of Project-Walk in San Diego. Pleasanton is only about 3 hours away but he is terrified of pressure sores and plans on pulling over every hour to do a weight shift.

He can't use his wheelchair cushion because he's already in the truck when he takes the thing apart. I don't think he could slide it under his butt.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulScream
              Ha ha ha! How does he do that if he's driving? I know what you mean though. He does use his hands to do it but he is concerned with the long distance and wants something cushy for his butt.

Comment

i use a pad called chicken fat cost 40.00 got it from seating clinic at shepards
                i have it under my seat so i can transfer

Comment

Originally posted by Herco16
                  I went to an upholstery shop and had them install memory foam into the seat for less than $100.00

Dave
                  That's a good idea, Dave! Way cheaper than a new cushion. So did they actually put it in your upholstry?

Comment

Originally posted by Daleb

i must be missing something - how do you drive while sitting on your hands?!?!?!?

OP - i use a roho low profile in my car (accord) and a roho countour in my van. the contour keeps my legs in place given the much more upritght seating position in the van, where they tend to shear from side to side badly when turning.

gl

dale
                    Thanks Dale for the info. I didnt realize they have contour cushions. Mike's left leg likes to get stuck under the hand control bar and keeps getting scratched up (I can also imagine how dangerous that may be if it prevents him from braking too), so something to keep his place would be great. Does roho have a website?
                    Jen

Comment

Roho low profile in the car. High roho quatro in chair.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeswife
                        Thanks Dale for the info. I didnt realize they have contour cushions. Mike's left leg likes to get stuck under the hand control bar and keeps getting scratched up (I can also imagine how dangerous that may be if it prevents him from braking too), so something to keep his place would be great. Does roho have a website?
                        Jen
                        sure...here it is:

here is a decent online discounter also.
                        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by mikeswife
                          Jen
                          Sure, here is their website.

here is a decent online discounter, also.

they are the best a pressure management, generally speaking, but they aren't cheap. you only get ONE butt, tho.

Comment

Ahh as a driver not a passenger, sorry. For driving a long time or driving the lawn mower I use the gel part out of an old chair cushion but I find that it wrinkles easy. The foam ideas sound good. I wonder if the foam from a life jacket would be cheaper?
                            Andrew

Comment

http://www.tempurmed.com/index.php/p...s/homecare/37/

Tempur med cushion, made from Tempur Pedic foam, same company.
                              You want the 6.9 lb per cubic foot density.
                              I used mine in a handcycle for a year until I was drenched for 13 miles and the cushion was soaked. I started using it in my truck from that point on. I have driven all day, slept in the truck a few times sitting on it, never so much as a hint of red. I still use it, 4 years running so far.

It's a 2 inch thickness. If I had my choice, I'd get a 3in thick one.
                              Lightweight, no maintenance and worry free. This link is one of the few you can find by googling. Input your zip for nearby reps.

I have been thru pressure sore horror and swear by this cushion's safety.

John

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Working...
                              X