No announcement yet.

A cool and inexpensive way to add grip to your anodized rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I do is just order UV-Resistant Black PVC Tubing from Mc Master Carr with the same ID as the handrim OD. Then lay it out in it's natural curve and cut it length wise on the face. Split it over the rim, add 2 zip tys and done. Same material as the vinyl coated rims. Cost $30.

Comment

Originally posted by jamie-mx View Post
      Something I do is just order UV-Resistant Black PVC Tubing from Mc Master Carr with the same ID as the handrim OD. Then lay it out in it's natural curve and cut it length wise on the face. Split it over the rim, add 2 zip tys and done. Same material as the vinyl coated rims. Cost $30.
      How do you keep from ripping up your hands on the zip ties ?
      There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64 View Post
        that's great it's holding up for ya. i was wanting to wrap it around the whole handrim. for the grip plus to make my handrims black instead of silver to go with the shadow rims since they're all black.

i'm wondering about it rolling up from pushing and braking also.
        I do this and it works great. I usually redo it every month or 2 because I'm pretty rough with it and when you hit stuff with it, it will get a tear or bumpy. I roll it around the inside, then the outside, then the top. Were it ends/starts I always just let it butt right against and it would start to peel after awhile from stopping. The last time I did it, I wrapped a short piece around it where the seam is and thats working pretty good.

I tilt my chair up on the front of the footplate and lean it against my door panel of my car when I'm taking the wheels off and sometimes it slide and fell. So I wrapped some of this around the area that touches to ground when I do that and now it doesn't slide around and is quieter than the aluminum hitting blacktop.
        c6 inc since 2-19-11
        ex pro-am motocross racer
        tilite aero z s2

Comment

Originally posted by Essie View Post
          How do you keep from ripping up your hands on the zip ties ?
          I rotate them in and I'm a quad and usually where gloves .

Comment

Update: December 2012

It has been 4 years since I originally posted this thread and over a year and a half since OutFront began offering Surge handrims. When I got a chance to see them at ISS in March 2011, I immediately realized they could be ideal for my level of hand function. At the time, I didn't know how durable they would be. Given that they are not cheap, I elected to wait until they were on the market for awhile.

The first TR3 we issued was also equipped with the first Surge LT's I've had a chance to use. Whenever I've used NaturalFit LT's in the past, I've experienced a great deal of slippage and a noticeable loss of efficiency with every push. When I tried the Surge LT's, however, the Gription strip made enough of a difference so that they worked even more-efficiently than my glossy NatiuralFits/2242 splicing tape.

Given the absence of any major issues on the chairs we have issued that have been equipped with them and the lack of complaints on the forum, I finally purchased a set of standard Surge handrims for my personal chair.

I can say they were well worth the investment. They are much more efficient than my previous set up.

Here they are on a set of five year old 559 Spinergy LX wheels that I refurbished. The spokes and hubs were in good condition but the rims needed some work. They were originally equipped with NaturalFit handrims that included the thumb piece. Over time, contact between the thumb piece and the rim caused the outer circumference to become worn and pitted. Instead of disassembling the wheel and trying to re-finish each rim, I took the wheels down to the basement, mounted them on a quick release axle clamped in my vise, and used a Dremel tool to spin, strip, and polish the outer portion of the rim. While there are still a few small scratches that remain, they should have another 5 years left in them.

Comment

Did you get my PM about an OTR in my area?

Comment

I’ve been using this tape for the past couple weeks after finding this post. Still a great solution!

Comment

Working...
                X