would you drive from your manual chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
    Or could they be focusing on the pain, the hassle, or maybe the pouring rain?
    Like I said, if you're going to focus on your disability all the time, then even 60 seconds will seem like an eternity.

FTR, I have severe neuropathy and advancing arthritis in my wrists and shoulders. I live in SoCal, so it's not a winter daily event, but even so, contrary to popular culture rain doesn't actually melt witches anyway. So I get wet sometimes, so what? As for the "hassle" I believe I addressed that as being more psychological than otherwise.

Pain is a solid factor for a lot of people, but my feeling on this is that I don't want to spend 40 yrs in a mini-van. Driving a car that I really like adds to my overall quality of life. It may not be important to some people, but it is to me. As my arthritis gets worse, I expect that a day will come when I will have to compromise, but I'm damn glad that I didn't do so 20 yrs ago.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
      re: heat and a/c, best thing I ever did was add-on remote start. I can have it cooling/heating long before I get in. Also, I found out I can keep it running after pulling key, this way I can keep the a/c going while xferring out too.
      I had remote start installed after I purchased my van. I'm curious as to how you keep the van running after you remove the key when transferring to get out?! I've wished so many times the past couple of weeks that I had that feature since It's been sooo cold. I'd love to have the heat cranked until I was ready to exit.
      Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing View Post
        Like I said, if you're going to focus on your disability all the time, then even 60 seconds will seem like an eternity.

FTR, I have severe neuropathy and advancing arthritis in my wrists and shoulders. I live in SoCal, so it's not a winter daily event, but even so, contrary to popular culture rain doesn't actually melt witches anyway. So I get wet sometimes, so what? As for the "hassle" I believe I addressed that as being more psychological than otherwise.

Pain is a solid factor for a lot of people, but my feeling on this is that I don't want to spend 40 yrs in a mini-van. Driving a car that I really like adds to my overall quality of life. It may not be important to some people, but it is to me. As my arthritis gets worse, I expect that a day will come when I will have to compromise, but I'm damn glad that I didn't do so 20 yrs ago.

C.
        I am trying to figure out how you know what I focus on all the time? Loose the judgemental tone it's not becoming.
        If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
          I am trying to figure out how you know what I focus on all the time?
          Oh, fer pity's sake! If you can't recognize a generalzation (they) and must apply it to yourself without any explanation, then I don't know what to tell you.

Loose the judgemental tone it's not becoming.
          Deal with it. I make judgements all the time, just like everyone else does. The fact that I have judged things in a way that contradicts your interpretation doesn't invalidate anything I've said. Admit it. If I had merely agreed with everything you posted, you would be oh-so happy and wouldn't tell me that my opinion is "not becoming."

C.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing View Post
            Oh, fer pity's sake! If you can't recognize a generalzation (they) and must apply it to yourself without any explanation, then I don't know what to tell you.

C.
            You are the one always concerned with semantics. Don't say YOU are if you mean they.

My point is most people are not concerned with their disability. I prefer to focus on my children, job, etc. Driving from a chair or not having to tear down a chair would give me more time and energy to focus on them. Have a few children and then come back and tell me what you feel. If your shoulders hurt would you rather play with them or break down a chair? I do not want a minivan, but a car does not define me. However if someone else was paying for it I am sure I'd drive something else. And yes when it's pouring down rain I am thinking about getting wet. Especially when taking the slow ride up on a turny seat. On that thing you have to think of a disability. We get it you like taking your chair apart so you can drive your car. Not everyone does for different reasons.

You don't have to agree with me or anyone else but you don't have to be so judgemental and rude. Unless of course you are trying to show you are the one who proved witches don't melt.
            If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
              I had remote start installed after I purchased my van. I'm curious as to how you keep the van running after you remove the key when transferring to get out?! I've wished so many times the past couple of weeks that I had that feature since It's been sooo cold. I'd love to have the heat cranked until I was ready to exit.
              i turn it off, take the key out and then use the remote start to keep it running till im out and the kids are out. by then it's usually been 15 minutes and its off again. lol.
              Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

right now i transfer to a 6 way seat inside the van but i hate how i plan my errands around minimizing transfers. i can do 3-4 complete transfers (in/out) before im too exhausted and fatigued to carry my kids. usually i try to meet up with my parents or bro so they can drive me from errand to errand. my next vehicle i *might* drive from my chair but the safety is a concern. so i might noy. we'll see in 20,000 km or two years.
                Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

I know plenty of ppl who drive from their manual chairs; I guess it's more the norm here in Israel. I've also met lots of ppl who choose to get the biggest vans available for various reasons. I personally drive from my power chair and there's a headrest type thing in the car that I use to signal right and left. Don't know how quads signal otherwise....different topic....

Comment

Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
                    I found that while the van is still running and have not removed the key yet, I can push the remote start button and then I can turn and remove key and the van will stay running. Try it somewhere where you can see the lights reflected, when you push the remote start, the parking lights will start their normal flashing sequence(unless your lights are on, then they won't, but I can hear a "click" also), then you can remove the key. And of course Emi's way to restart will also work.

After I get out, I found that pushing the remote start again, will shut the van off.
                    Last edited by McDuff; 8 Dec 2008, 1:28 PM.
                    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

What some here seriously do not get t get is, driving a min-van (or a full-size van, from the chair or not) adds to the overall quality of life for many people (many quads in particular) as compared to driving a car. We're not just all crips that focus on our dis or some other ridiculous, self-serving assumption some are making. Nor are we trying to justify anything to anyone here; rather, we are simply offering our perspective and the reasons for our choices so others can better make the right choice for them.

The funny thing is, driving a convertible (with no roll-bar) or a motorcycle is far more dangerous than driving a van from a wheelchair or having a "loose" wc in a van after transferring, yet some of the very people criticizing the latter have done the former, and still would if not for being SCId.

If any of you seriously think it's about being afraid to get wet or just trying to avoid some "hassle" that's "mostly psychological" than you are either seriously clueless or seriously lacking in both empathy and a basic understanding of the differences between the functional abilities of you and others and how we all have different priorities as to how we go about our daily tasks, not to mention comfort levels, wanting to look presentable, or a myriad of other factors. Myopathy is an epidemic it seems.

Sure, some quads can and do drive cars. If one can and likes it, that's great and should be encouraged. But if someone chooses to drive a van, be they quad or not, either from the chair or transferring, it's more often than not after they've seriously considered their options and weighed the risks and benefits against their own values and priorities, not against yours.
                      Last edited by Scorpion; 8 Dec 2008, 1:42 PM.

Comment

Nov - I don't blame you for the jitters with such a big purchase. When do you get the van?

McDuff - I could have really used a remote starter when I lived in New York on those -10 degrees wind-chill days-brrrrr!!! Nice van btw! Love that color.

gurly - I've seen those locks before, they're a great idea.

RJC - Excellent points.
                        Last edited by Scorpion; 8 Dec 2008, 2:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks Scorp, if they would have had a decent green that year I'da got it, Irish ya know. But the green was a puke, so wound up with a nice blue.

I would think down in S FL, you could use remote to kick your a/c on, cool the beast down from the heat. Our TX summers are brutal, besides cooling before getting in, I find that keeping the van running while transferring out is even more helpful. It's amazing how hot, how fast the back of the van gets when not running.
                          "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Scorp... doing all the paperwork now, so I hope soon!
                            Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Good luck with your purchase November.

Cars, vans, trikes, trucks, whatever. It's great that everyone is out there and doing something and driving somewhere lol. Nevermind the naysayers, it's a personal choice and applies to your life, needs, etc. Disregard the generalizations, be your own individual.

onward and upward.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
                                I found that while the van is still running and have not removed the key yet, I can push the remote start button and then I can turn and remove key and the van will stay running. Try it somewhere where you can see the lights reflected, when you push the remote start, the parking lights will start their normal flashing sequence(unless your lights are on, then they won't, but I can hear a "click" also), then you can remove the key. And of course Emi's way to restart will also work.

After I get out, I found that pushing the remote start again, will shut the van off.
                                Thanks! That works for me too!! =) I'm glad you taught me how to do that I was wondering about it!
                                Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Working...
                                X