Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NaturalFit vs. FlexiRim

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    NaturalFit vs. FlexiRim

    Does anyone know how these two products compare? I'm thinking of getting some Spinergy LX's, and am wondering about upgrading the push rims to one of these. I know the Natural Fit has an LT version that is smaller and lighter than the original. Pricing it out, they look pretty similar.

    Also, for clarification, is the Spinergy Flexrim basically an LX wheel with different push rims, or is it a different wheel completely?

    My final question: What are the chances of getting Blue Cross/Blue Shield to cover the cost of lighter wheels / ergo pushrims?

    Thanks All!
    -Taziar

    #2
    Originally posted by taziar
    My final question: What are the chances of getting Blue Cross/Blue Shield to cover the cost of lighter wheels / ergo pushrims?

    Thanks All!
    -Taziar
    I can only help with this one. I used to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and they covered my spinergy wheels because my doctor was very detailed as to why I needed the Spinergy wheels and why these are better for me than the standard wheels that usually came with the chair I was getting. If you are going to go that route...make sure your doctor is very detailed in the justification letter!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks Wheeliecoach - I remember having to do the same to justify a titanium chair back in 2003. That is encouraging news!

      I seem to remember a post by SCI-OTR, saying he was on the fence about the Spinergy LX, that they had issues with creaking? What say you, SCI? Off the fence yet?

      If insurance is paying, I'm leaning toward the LX's...if I'm paying out of pocket perhaps the Fusion 16 is the better option?

      I hate making decisions.

      Originally posted by wheeliecoach
      I can only help with this one. I used to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and they covered my spinergy wheels because my doctor was very detailed as to why I needed the Spinergy wheels and why these are better for me than the standard wheels that usually came with the chair I was getting. If you are going to go that route...make sure your doctor is very detailed in the justification letter!

      Comment


        #4
        I have had no issues with my LX wheels if that helps. I love them!
        "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

        Comment


          #5
          My lx are great too. ALL spoked wheels will creak cause they're in tension..

          Comment


            #6
            The 17x17 ZRa I recently posted pics of had a creak in one of the spokes. My non-scientific findings are that 3 of the 9 pairs of LX wheels I've ordered for veteran's chairs had creaks. Two of these veterans weighed more than 220 lbs. I don't think I've I've seen more two Spox Everyday's that creaked. and I've ordered at least 50 sets for veteran's chairs.

            When I thought about it, this really wasn't all that surprising. A 12 spoke LX wheel rotates 30 degrees between spokes while an 18 spoke Spox Everyday only rotates 20.

            I haven't had success trying to eliminate creaks by tensioning spokes, but I've been conservative so as not to screw up the balance of the wheel. A good bike shop may be able to correct any problems in short order.

            Comment


              #7
              no creak on my 2 sets of lx's. my 0old spox were terrible
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by taziar
                Does anyone know how these two products compare?
                Also, for clarification, is the Spinergy Flexrim basically an LX wheel with different push rims, or is it a different wheel completely?

                -Taziar
                The flex-rim is intigrated into the wheel rim and cannot be removed , but the natural fit can be. With that being said I've used both and prefer the flex-rims over the natural fit. They are much lighter and the rubbber is easy to push in snowy and wet conditions. They do take some getting used to.
                "Donny you're out of your element!" ~ Walter Sobchak

                T-5 Complete 9/15/06

                Comment


                  #9
                  I have 2 pairs of LX, 25" and 24", and the 25" one creaks when I make a tight turn on carpet.
                  May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

                  Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Rebar
                    The flex-rim is intigrated into the wheel rim and cannot be removed , but the natural fit can be. With that being said I've used both and prefer the flex-rims over the natural fit. They are much lighter and the rubbber is easy to push in snowy and wet conditions. They do take some getting used to.
                    What about them takes getting used to? Are they your main wheels?
                    stephen@bike-on.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I also have the Spinergy LX wheels and mine do not squeak. In fact, the first thing I noticed was how quiet the LX wheels and SHOX solid tires were compared to my old basic aluminum wheels with air filled tires.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by stephen212
                        What about them takes getting used to? Are they your main wheels?
                        Sorry I didn't get back quicker I've been busy with work.

                        The push rims themselves are the anodized metal but they are attached to the wheel by a rubber membrane rather that metal tabs. At first the rubber seemed to grab my hands when stopping or riding a wheelie, but you just need to grab the outer part of the pushrim rather than the whole thing. It is no big deal now for me, but I know people who have been in a chair a lot longer than I have, that tried tham and didn't like them because of this.

                        They are the only wheels I use. Hope this helps.
                        "Donny you're out of your element!" ~ Walter Sobchak

                        T-5 Complete 9/15/06

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I am doubting about getting flexrims or natural fit's for my next wheelchair. I am currently testing flexrims but I don't like them very much. I live at the beach and the sand is very sticky to the rubbery surface. Also, when I'm going downhill and braking, the flexrim get's very warm in my hands! Does this happen with natural fit's too?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by JenR View Post
                            I am doubting about getting flexrims or natural fit's for my next wheelchair. I am currently testing flexrims but I don't like them very much. I live at the beach and the sand is very sticky to the rubbery surface. Also, when I'm going downhill and braking, the flexrim get's very warm in my hands! Does this happen with natural fit's too?
                            yeah...it happens...plastic coated is the worst.i use the natural fit LT, but the burn in the hands when braking is nothing to complaint abt.is there anybody here who use any titanium, or even magnesium who never face this prob?glove is the best solution when u're outdoor.but indoor, i wouldnt worry.my house doesnt have any 45degree 100foot ramp...

                            if there're any handrims which doesnt burn ur hand when u brake while speeding, please let me know...
                            walking is OVER-RATED!!!

                            Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I currently have titanium handrims, and I love them. So I guess my next wheelchair will have them too, I just wanted to test alternatives.
                              I never had a problem of the titanium rims getting warm when braking hard. I used to have regular aluminium rims, and my hands coloured black with those, I don't have that with the titanium ones.
                              Another big plus of the titanium rims is their strength! When I curb something, it never chirps (don't know the right word, not native english), so I never cut my hands on my rims.
                              I also prefer the titanium feel to the aluminium feel. Imo, it even makes less noise, if you brake with aluminium rims, it makes a "shhhhh"-noise, titanium is quiet.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X