question about handcycles and quads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about handcycles and quads...

How do quads use brakes on handcycles? i have strong arms..strong wrists but virtually no dexterity in my hands. i want one...not if i can't stop it though..lol.

I've wondered the same thing. The old tuck'n'roll maneuver just doesn't sound appealing.

Comment

The front hub isw a coaster type brake.. Pedal backwards to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
        that works...is that all? do they have anything that you can push instead of pulling?

Comment

bike-on.com does mods for quads. this brake has a foam covered handle you can push against.
          Last edited by JoeyMearig; 4 Jun 2008, 10:11 PM.
          Godspeed...
          freewheelchairmission.org

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
            you would have to buy a hub specifically with a coaster brake for that to be a reality.
            Talk to the guys at Bike-on Joey referenced. I have saw pictures of some ingenius set-ups that they have made. Even one with the brake behind your head, tilt and push your head to slow/stop. Your imagination is the limit. But I will tell you to not waste time with a 7 speed, you need a much wider gear range than that, especially with hills or mountains.

Spend some time searching the web, the european sites have many more riders than here in the US and a great many quads ride and compete. I used to have a lot of bookmarks for just such an occasion, but alas, no more. There are many sites with oodles of pictures of races/racers and their bikes. You can see how they have them set up. It will give you a much better idea than just looking at US bikes in sales pictures.

here is a site to start checking for interesting links, there will be a bunch of duds, but search thru them
            http://www.bikesutra.com/handcycling.html

this is a page with marathon pics it will keep ya busy all day, lol
            http://www.handbike.de/hct/berichte.php

here is an example page of pics from this bunch
            http://www.handbike.de/hct/archiv/20...im08/index.php

Start getting ready to have fun and get real exercise again.
            Last edited by CapnGimp; 5 Jun 2008, 12:49 AM.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyMearig
              bike-on.com does mods for quads. this brake has a foam covered handle you can push against.
              cool.

what'd they do for your setup?

Comment

Cap'n...... My rehab has them.. THE top End Excelerator has it stock, as well as a few other.

So theu're out there, just your shnaaazy type don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                  cool.

what'd they do for your setup?
                  I just have a regular brake on one of my handles. I have enough function in my right hand to pull the brake. I also have a brake mounted to the seat on the left. Most quads should be able to pull/push this one. (similar motion to stopping with your handrim).

Originally posted by CapnGimp

But I will tell you to not waste time with a 7 speed, you need a much wider gear range than that, especially with hills or mountains.
                  If you want a coaster brake (pedal backward to brake), you can get the mountain drive option ($$) which doubles the 7 speed. I have tried a 7-speed and been VERY slow. I haven't tried the mountain drive.

One warning about coaster brake: I have a hard time starting my pedal stroke from certain positions, especially on hills. Without a coaster brake, I can pedal backward in place until the cranks are in a position that is easier to start from. (Remember biking as a kid, the pedal had to be in just the right place or you'd fall over).

With a coaster brake this is not an option
                  Godspeed...

Comment

www.teamhybrid.co.uk make a quad brake, which i think is a sort of bar going between hand grips that you hit with your wrists to activate... not sure how it works, or if it also acts as a parking brake. anyway, therere some photos on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                      ... the european sites have many more riders than here in the US
                      This is an italian Handbike who brakes pedalling backward http://www.offcarr.com/ita/prodotti....a=60&idProd=80
                      It's cheap. I don't know if it's sold in US.

Antonio

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyMearig
                        If you want a coaster brake (pedal backward to brake), you can get the mountain drive option ($$) which doubles the 7 speed. I have tried a 7-speed and been VERY slow. I haven't tried the mountain drive.

One warning about coaster brake: I have a hard time starting my pedal stroke from certain positions, especially on hills. Without a coaster brake, I can pedal backward in place until the cranks are in a position that is easier to start from. (Remember biking as a kid, the pedal had to be in just the right place or you'd fall over).
                        I have the mountain drive and the 7 speed hub. In order to use the "granny" gears of the mountain drive I upped the crank chain ring (52 - I think) There is a big gap in the gearing when you switch in the mountain drive.

I agree with the hill warning. The sun gears in the Shimano hub do not like to go backwards. If you stall a coaster break hub on a hill, good luck. You can't ratchet it up the hill.

That being said, I love the setup I have - you just have to learn the quirks.

Comment

I came across a video on youtube (type in handbike) of a quad with a brake behind his head. Pretty cool.

I'll try to embed it...

ok..not sure how, but here's the url

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLxNDld3fxU
                          Godspeed...

Comment

yah that is soooo cool! but it looks likes he cant change gears tho...
                            I've got 99 problems but the wheelchair ain't 1

Comment

Man, that looked sketchy though. Not sure how much force is needed, but it would really limit your awarenes looking in crowded area.

Good for open areas though.

Comment

Working...
                              X