Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cockamamie idea for car transfer

Ok, what do we think about THIS!

We want more options in choosing our next car. It seems you need a sedan to use a board or something huge if you want a seat modification or Asento board. Everything out there now is a crossover and they’re all ruled out because they’re too high for a same-height board transfer yet too small to modify.

I do lateral transfers. I use a board for the car but otherwise don’t. Over the couple of years that I’ve been transferring laterally, I now find that other than the car I can effortlessly fling myself between two different heights as long as my feet are on the floor and there’s a grab bar. I regularly use a pool toilet with a decent height differential that I found unworkable when I started laterals but is now a piece of cake. For the car, however, it seems you need the car seat to be at the level of your mobility device because you’ve got to go across and in, with one foot in the car and the big lean across as you grab the center armrest thing. Right?

So I had a eureka this morning. What do we think about some kind of intermediate transfer up onto some kind of stool, especially maybe one with a pneumatic seat height adjustment? I’m toying with wheeled vs unwheeled. I don’t drive so always have a spotter when going anywhere. I could do that transfer with my feet on the ground and use the inside door bar as my grab bar. Seems so similar to the pool toilet situation. Then after killing off a couple of inches, I’m at the right height to do the more difficult board transfer across into the car. Obviously we then need to bring the stool with us.

How does this sound or does anyone do anything different or creative to get in and out of crossovers?

And as a PS, while I appreciate that I’m aging and have a progressive disease, I’ll cross my future bridges in the future. My husband changes cars more frequently than I change my underwear so I’m only looking to solve the situation I’m faced with right now.

Comment

Have never used one but have seen them. Is this the type of setup you’re looking for?
      https://www.accessunlimited.com/html/easy-transfer.html

Comment

• Sheri
        Sheri commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Definitely worthy of further investigation!

Just wondering if you've considered a power seat base for the car seat? With various car changes, couldn't the base be removed and placed in different cars? There might be a rebate from car company like that given with adapted equipment.
      Do you have any interest in reviewing options with a mobility dealer?
      The stool you mentioned - would that be safe enough due to possible movement when transferring to it? I have to say it's a nice idea but there might be a safer option - like the one suggested by ChesBay.

Comment

A wheeled stool, even when well-wedged between things, does seem dangerous, but I’ve seen replacement flat feet for them.

Unless I’m mistaken, the power seats are only for big vehicles like vans and trucks, maybe SUVS. There were several youtubes of “transfer plates”, either powered or static, coming out of international companies but I didn’t find any American ones. I sent for more information on them from access unlimited, which is in Binghamton, NY. A Canadian company makes Asento, a similar thing, but the vehicle list is also very limited and only for big vehicles. I wonder whether they need lots of room for some kind of mounting bracket or whether they don’t list a vehicle unless there’s zero potential of you whacking your head as you go up? I would’ve expected no compatibility problems on these with any vehicles.

Comment

Just adding that decade ago we owned a 2 door car that came with a power drivers' seat that was factory made - we did not add it. Have you tried Googling for some kind of power seat? It seems they would be available especially on luxury vehicles, but don't know if they'd go high enough for you. If I was looking into that I'd include contact with large auto shops that do all kinds of customizing.
          The main thing is to be totally safe when doing your car transfers.

Comment

• Sheri
            Sheri commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you mean the seat actually turned and came out? Our current Tesla has power in that it goes back and forth and up and down so I’ve only been doing level transfers the past few years.

Watched loads of youtubes over the weekend with everyone doing their car transfers differently. A couple of surprises for me were that LOTS of people seem to transfer easily between different heights, and also that lots of people don’t use boards. I kinda came away with the impression that a board, level transfer is “ entry level” and that moving beyond that is fairly common. Based on everything I saw, it seems reasonable that I should at least be able to do a board transfer into something like a crossover. That’s a height difference of maybe 4”. Currently I do one big slide across the board and into my seat. I grab the center console and go all the way across. I should instead be able to gradually scooch across if I have to go up. I can actually test this with the current car.

Comment

We did not have that device that turns the seat and comes out so that someone can transfer from wheelchair and then power back into the car. We had power seat that was already on a used Oldsmobile Toronado, probably like what you describe in the Tesla.
            Use of board or no board depends on personal preference/safety. I will add that I use “Pledge” to keep my board slick and very easy to slide on; also note that transfer boards come in different lengths - I discovered that the hard way when I had one that was too short for bed to wheelchair transfer.
            Hope you can figure out a good, safe technique with or without a board.

Comment

I don't know what your upper body strength is like, but a board can be used like a ramp as much as it can be used as a bridge. I've used one like this to traverse a distance from my wheelchair to the to the seat of an SUV in the past. You do need to have good upper body strength (and a little courage), but it's really not that bad.

Comment

• Sheri
                Sheri commented
                Editing a comment
                Fortunately, my current seats go up and down so I’m going to test it out. I had been leaning across, grabbing center console, sliding into seat. With an incline, I’m understanding that you inch across with your hand on the board. Lots of people do it and my upper body strength is good tho one of my wrists has mildly hurt for several years now. I’m confident I can at least do the few inches necessary for a crossover kind of vehicle.

So my Boss spa/medical stool arrived and I used it as an intermediate transfer into our 4wd Subaru Forester. Without attaching wheels, it sits flat. Very solid tho the seat turns, which could be a plus or a minus. Much easier tho definitely a hassle. With husband spotting, I used a board from manual chair w cushion over to the stool (board actually prevented seat from rotating) then very easily bumped over into the seat. It both bridged the gap plus split the daunting height into two smaller bits. Not sure it’s worth the multiple steps then needing to bring it with us wherever we go, but it’s maybe a solution worth further brainstorming.
              Last edited by Sheri; 11 Sep 2022, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X