Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Arm or Power Pull - anyone have either?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Arm or Power Pull - anyone have either?

So I’m looking at a new van... my 1994 e150 is on it’s last legs… I can't go w/ Ford Transit because I need an ezlock & they can not secure those into the floor because there are batteries or something under the driver area..... so looking at a Toyota Sienna.

I’m not strong enough to push up an inclined ramp, even if the van ‘kneels’. So I'm looking at either getting a Super Arm (https://handicapsinc.com/) to simply lift me in . Or getting a fold out ramp, the kneeling system for the van , and a Power Pull winch. (https://www.adaptsolutions.com/product/power-pull/)

I have a few reservations about both. My biggest reservation about the power pull is that because my chair is very tippy , that's the way I want it to be able to bump up the front wheels over things, I'm worried that that winch system isn't going to keep me from flipping backwards either going up or down the ramp ... also it looks like it runs very slowly... And trying to grab the hook up and get it on my chair and then get in position and then start it seems a little bit cumbersome.

The Super arm system is a little quicker , however I really hate the idea of having those straps constantly on my wheelchair. I can't foresee them not constantly hanging and falling into my wheels and rubbing, or getting in my way when I'm pushing. I assume most people tuck them into the clothing guards at the side but my chair fits really tight to my bum so there's not a lot of room there. I'm wondering if there's any other way to pull them out of the way so they're not constantly rubbing.

I was wondering does anyone out there have either of these systems to get into their vehicle and what do they think of them? And if you happen to have the Super arm where do you tuck the straps and do you find they get in your way on a regular basis when pushing around?

I've had a Power Pull since I got my VMI Northstar Honda Odyssey ten years ago. The only time I use it is when I'm forced to park with the ramp downhill. It's been at least two years since that happened. You can make your cable attachments high enough on the chair to eliminate any tendency to flip over backwards when going up the ramp. I replaced the stock hook and webbing setup with much lighter bungee cord hooks and lighter rope. Works the same though.
    I did not like that tall plastic hook on the ramp made to hold the cable after using it to exit the van. I ran into it a couple of times and then removed it. If I expect to need the winch, I'll hook it on my seat belt just inside the sliding door, where I can reach it from outside.
    A C6 friend with less arm and hand function uses her Power Pull every trip and seems to be satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
      I've had a Power Pull since I got my VMI Northstar Honda Odyssey ten years ago. The only time I use it is when I'm forced to park with the ramp downhill. It's been at least two years since that happened. You can make your cable attachments high enough on the chair to eliminate any tendency to flip over backwards when going up the ramp. I replaced the stock hook and webbing setup with much lighter bungee cord hooks and lighter rope. Works the same though.
      I did not like that tall plastic hook on the ramp made to hold the cable after using it to exit the van. I ran into it a couple of times and then removed it. If I expect to need the winch, I'll hook it on my seat belt just inside the sliding door, where I can reach it from outside.
      A C6 friend with less arm and hand function uses her Power Pull every trip and seems to be satisfied.
      Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of not having straps hanging on my chair. I already have a seat belt for upper body stability when I'm driving because the regular seatbelts don't provide the stability I need so adding more straps is definitely not something I prefer to do.

You don't find it tippy at all? Do you need to be cognizant of leaning your weight forward when going in and out? That was one thing I thought could easily be done too help eliminate that tippiness. But as you said if the hook is put high enough it should be pulling downward and keep the chair stable. I think my biggest worry is backing out and getting to the bottom of the ramp where maybe some slack starts too happen.

Well if your friend is a C6 and she can use it fairly well that's probably a good indication that I could manage it. I functioned much higher than my C5 level ... probably more like C6/7 with impaired fingers and triceps.

Do you know if the speed of the winch is adjustable? If not how do you find the speed? I notice you live in Austin which is a much better climate than northern Ontario. Nice weather isn't really my worry it's more when it gets to be winter and there's a crap ton of snow on the ground and it's minus 30 degrees Celsius outside. If you have any other feedback or thoughts that would be appreciated.

Oh one other question I just thought of ... Did you put a pulley so that the winch is centered on going up the ramp or do you have it off to the side? The place that I'm going to get it done suggested having it placed off to the side where it wasn't in peoples walking way but having a small little pulley where the winch looped through and then lined up straight on the ramp. That's of course if I go with it.

Comment

Regarding the transit I have a few buddies that had transfer seats put in and they relocated the batteries that were normally underneath the driver seat. That should solve the easy lock problem as well I would think maybe call if you other places..
        Sales@rollinginparadise.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
          Regarding the transit I have a few buddies that had transfer seats put in and they relocated the batteries that were normally underneath the driver seat. That should solve the easy lock problem as well I would think maybe call if you other places..
          Recent models of the Transit?

Comment

Originally posted by RJC View Post

Recent models of the Transit?
            yes, il get pics

Comment

Yeah Fuente, I'd like to see pics too, keep thinking of one of them for longer day trips with our dogs. But I want a transfer seat and haven't seen any.
              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Originally posted by RJC View Post

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of not having straps hanging on my chair. I already have a seat belt for upper body stability when I'm driving because the regular seatbelts don't provide the stability I need so adding more straps is definitely not something I prefer to do.

You don't find it tippy at all? Do you need to be cognizant of leaning your weight forward when going in and out? That was one thing I thought could easily be done too help eliminate that tippiness. But as you said if the hook is put high enough it should be pulling downward and keep the chair stable. I think my biggest worry is backing out and getting to the bottom of the ramp where maybe some slack starts too happen.

Well if your friend is a C6 and she can use it fairly well that's probably a good indication that I could manage it. I functioned much higher than my C5 level ... probably more like C6/7 with impaired fingers and triceps.

Do you know if the speed of the winch is adjustable? If not how do you find the speed? I notice you live in Austin which is a much better climate than northern Ontario. Nice weather isn't really my worry it's more when it gets to be winter and there's a crap ton of snow on the ground and it's minus 30 degrees Celsius outside. If you have any other feedback or thoughts that would be appreciated.

Oh one other question I just thought of ... Did you put a pulley so that the winch is centered on going up the ramp or do you have it off to the side? The place that I'm going to get it done suggested having it placed off to the side where it wasn't in peoples walking way but having a small little pulley where the winch looped through and then lined up straight on the ramp. That's of course if I go with it.
                If I don't lean a little forward, it seems a bit tippy, but I'm confident that with the winch attached where I have it, it won't go over backwards. The wheelchair casters occasionally lift off the ramp an inch or two.

I've never tried backing down the ramp with or without the winch.

I'm not aware of any speed adjustment. It's slow, but focusing on keeping the chair balanced and centered on the ramp, I've not wanted it faster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	power pull.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	2914315

My cable is offset. The bridle has a long side and short side to balance the pull. It still requires constant attention to keep the chair going straight. Centering the cable with the ramp would be nice.

When I'm driving, I store my chair on an EZLOCK in front of the left sliding door so access there is blocked anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
                  Yeah Fuente, I'd like to see pics too, keep thinking of one of them for longer day trips with our dogs. But I want a transfer seat and haven't seen any.
                  here you go
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's sweet dude. Is that a nationwide company doing them, or a good local shop helping out?
                    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
                      That's sweet dude. Is that a nationwide company doing them, or a good local shop helping out?
                      I believe he had it done at a mobility works dealership. He went with the straight cargo van because he's wanting to turn it into an adventure type van.

Comment

Originally posted by RollingInParadise View Post
                        here you go
                        Wish I could transfer well enough to use a transfer seat. I need an ez lock off my manual chair to stay in it. Don't know why in Canada no ne will move the f'ing battery so I can use it as such.

Comment

Working...
                        X