Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

StemCyte, Rutgers Sign Research, Licensing Agreement for Novel Human Umbilical Cord B

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    StemCyte, Rutgers Sign Research, Licensing Agreement for Novel Human Umbilical Cord B

    this is great Dr. Young! BRAVO!



    StemCyte Expands Support of World Renowned Spinal Cord Injury Researcher Through Agreement with Rutgers University
    Tuesday February 26, 8:00 am ET

    StemCyte, Rutgers Sign Research, Licensing Agreement for Novel Human Umbilical Cord Blood Treatment for Spinal Cord Injury Being Developed by Wise Young, M.D., Ph.D.


    NEW YORK, Feb. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- StemCyte Inc. and Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, today announced at the Stem Cell Summit that they have entered into a research and licensing agreement for a spinal cord injury therapy being developed by Wise Young, M.D., Ph.D., that uses StemCyte's proprietary human umbilical cord blood (UCB) stem cells in conjunction with lithium.

    more:

    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080226/nytu043.html?.v=101

    #2
    Looks like StemCyte will be the cell provider for ChinaSCINET. I had been wondering which company it would be.

    said Dr. Young. "As a result, we believe that these cells will have significant therapeutic benefit and hope to treat our first patient in clinical trials later this year."

    Comment


      #3

      Comment


        #4
        NEW YORK, Feb. 26, 2008 – StemCyte Inc. and Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, today announced at the Stem Cell Summit that they have entered into a research and licensing agreement for a spinal cord injury therapy being developed by Wise Young, M.D., Ph.D., that uses StemCyte’s proprietary human umbilical cord blood (UCB) stem cells in conjunction with lithium.
        Under the terms of the agreement, StemCyte will provide financial sponsorship for Dr. Young’s work at Rutgers’ W.M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience and receive exclusive commercialization rights to the therapy.

        http://www.stemcyte.com/news/news/50...ers-university

        Bias factor?
        Maybe or maybe not relavant as there is much worse stuff in medical research, but I think it's good to know.

        Paolo
        In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

        Comment


          #5
          What will be learned by this series of studies?
          "We now know lithium is safe," says Young. "By the end of the trials we will know whether umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplants into the spinal cord are safe. We will also be able to know whether or not it improves function, compared to before the surgery. If we see improved function, we still may not necessarily know that this is directly from the transplant itself. On the other hand, if we see that lithium improves the effect, it must be that lithium plus the cell transplants is better than the transplant by itself," he says. "This, on its own, would be sufficient for us to recommend that the lithium plus umbilical cord blood cells be used for treatment of SCI.
          "On the other hand, if we find that umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells don't do anything for people with SCI — they don't improve or even get worse — we would be able to say definitively that this procedure should not be used."
          Stem
          Just saying Wise also said this, so to me he is not hiding anything if it don't work we move on and others learn.
          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

          Comment


            #6
            Paolo......Dr. Young has said many times that StemCyte was donating the UCB cells for the trial. If they weren't providing the cells, then a lot more money would have to be raised to purchase cells from some other company.
            Last edited by 2TiRods; 23 Dec 2012, 1:34 AM.

            Comment


              #7
              Where is the controversy? This is publicly known....what if Wise has a company donate money for every potential therapy tried by the network? Is this a bad thing? Why would you support clinical trials by private enterprises then? You can't just suggest a potential conflict of interest without explaining yourself...that's lazy and cheap. If you think there is something wrong here then explain it and compare it to the what goes on in the rest of medical research.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by 2TiRods View Post
                Paolo......Dr. Young has said many times that StemCyte was donating the UCB cells for the trial. If they weren't providing the cells, then a lot more money would have to be raised to purchase cells from some other company.
                ... hmm.. if you contact me via email I can tell you why we have not done yet a clinical trial with UCB + Li here in Italy. There is a lot of BS that I can't tell on a public forum.. but sadly "BS" is one of the things that is keeping us paralized.

                Paolo
                In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by muskie View Post
                  What will be learned by this series of studies?
                  "We now know lithium is safe," says Young. "By the end of the trials we will know whether umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplants into the spinal cord are safe. We will also be able to know whether or not it improves function, compared to before the surgery. If we see improved function, we still may not necessarily know that this is directly from the transplant itself. On the other hand, if we see that lithium improves the effect, it must be that lithium plus the cell transplants is better than the transplant by itself," he says. "This, on its own, would be sufficient for us to recommend that the lithium plus umbilical cord blood cells be used for treatment of SCI.
                  "On the other hand, if we find that umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells don't do anything for people with SCI — they don't improve or even get worse — we would be able to say definitively that this procedure should not be used."
                  Stem
                  Just saying Wise also said this, so to me he is not hiding anything if it don't work we move on and others learn.
                  Ok, many CC members knew that, but the newer didn't, so I wanted to make sure everibody knows, especially when data are subject to interpretation which might be affected by a bias factor. Then keep in mind that when investors get in the game they are just interested in returns, not in progress of scienze.

                  Paolo
                  In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by paolocipolla View Post
                    Ok, many CC members knew that, but the newer didn't, so I wanted to make sure everibody knows, especially when data are subject to interpretation which might be affected by a bias factor. Then keep in mind that when investors get in the game they are just interested in returns, not in progress of scienze.

                    Paolo
                    Again, I have to ask: what do you think the motivation of a private firm doing clinical trials is? Do you want to take them out of the equation entirely? You are the one suggesting an X Prize for spinal cord injury.... the profit motive is inescapable here unless we want to rely on public funds only.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by ay2012 View Post
                      Where is the controversy? This is publicly known....what if Wise has a company donate money for every potential therapy tried by the network? Is this a bad thing? Why would you support clinical trials by private enterprises then? You can't just suggest a potential conflict of interest without explaining yourself...that's lazy and cheap. If you think there is something wrong here then explain it and compare it to the what goes on in the rest of medical research.
                      Yes, it is hard to avoid conflict of interest in our society, so I think it ok as long as it is transparent as I think it was for Geron, or now for Stem Cell Inc. and InVivo.
                      So, for example, when I hear presentations of Frank Raynolds from InVivo I know I can't fully buy what he is saying. What I do is to look for facts and third part opinions that may or may not confirm what I hear.

                      Paolo
                      In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by paolocipolla View Post
                        Yes, it is hard to avoid conflict of interest in our society, so I think it ok as long as it is transparent as I think it was for Geron, or now for Stem Cell Inc. and InVivo.
                        So, for example, when I hear presentations of Frank Raynolds from InVivo I know I can't fully buy what he is saying. What I do is to look for facts and third part opinions that may or may not confirm what I hear.

                        Paolo
                        Paolo,

                        This public announcement that Stemcyte donates cord blood units and research support is proof of the transparency of the relationship between Stemcyte and Rutgers. A search of CareCure will reveal many posts in which I have indicated that Stemcyte donated the cord blood and support the research. In my talks and publications on the subject, I acknowledge the donations and support by Stemcyte.

                        Almost all therapies that go to clinical trial have some company providing the therapy and supporting the trial, in anticipation of commercial benefit if the trial shows positive results. In fact, a majority of clinical trials are actually run by drugs companies themselves. For example, Geron, Stem Cell, Inc., Neuralstem, and Novartis are all running trials on their own therapies for spinal cord injury. The conflict of interest issue is less when the trial is conducted by an independent clinical trial network, such as ChinaSCINet.

                        Wise.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                          Paolo,

                          This public announcement that Stemcyte donates cord blood units and research support is proof of the transparency of the relationship between Stemcyte and Rutgers. A search of CareCure will reveal many posts in which I have indicated that Stemcyte donated the cord blood and support the research. In my talks and publications on the subject, I acknowledge the donations and support by Stemcyte.

                          Almost all therapies that go to clinical trial have some company providing the therapy and supporting the trial, in anticipation of commercial benefit if the trial shows positive results. In fact, a majority of clinical trials are actually run by drugs companies themselves. For example, Geron, Stem Cell, Inc., Neuralstem, and Novartis are all running trials on their own therapies for spinal cord injury. The conflict of interest issue is less when the trial is conducted by an independent clinical trial network, such as ChinaSCINet.

                          Wise.
                          Wise,

                          I think you have been transparent, I just wanted to make sure that also the new CC members were aware of the deal with Stemcyte.
                          Then you will agree that in the case of UCB cells if you report personal observations and interpretations of the findings there might be a bias factor that can affect the objectivity of what you repoert, therefore you should expect and perhaps even welcome "hard" questions.

                          Paolo
                          In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Some more transparency..

                            In the attached PDF there is the licence agreement between Stemcyte Inc. and Rutgers University where Wise is a "primary inventor".
                            That is, in my personal opinion, a significant bias factor which may affect what Wise has to say about biomaterials, scar tissue etc..
                            In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Your opinion is meaningless.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X