Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Young and ChinaSciNet

Dr. Young,

I just wanted to know if this was underway?
    --------------------------------
    May 2007

Started Phase 1 clinical trial at the University of Hong Kong and MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Center to assess the safety and pharmacokinetics of oral lithium in twenty patients with chronic spinal cord injury/
    ---------------------------------
    how does it look?

Originally posted by Imight
    Dr. Young,

I just wanted to know if this was underway?
    --------------------------------
    May 2007

Started Phase 1 clinical trial at the University of Hong Kong and MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Center to assess the safety and pharmacokinetics of oral lithium in twenty patients with chronic spinal cord injury/
    ---------------------------------
    how does it look?

This phase 1 trial has been completed and the data is being analyzed. Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young

So that means phase trial II is on schedule? (early 08')

Comment

Wow, congratulations, Dr. Young. Good luck to you and subsequently, all of us.
        No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Comment

I am amazed that this has not received more attention that it has.
          Completing a single clinical trial for SCI is hard enough but to organize the trial network to implement it is a tremendous accomplishment.
          Congratulations Dr. Young. What an achievement.

Nice update on the ChinaSCINet website too!

When you get a moment Dr. Young could you explain the relationship of the Keck Center and ChinaSCINet. Does Keck providing funding to ChinaSCINet?
          Thanks Again

Comment

Originally posted by litespeed4
            Does Keck providing funding to ChinaSCINet?
            Thanks Again
            Nope. ChinaSCINet is independently funded primarily through donations from the Chinese government, philanthropists and Pfizer.

Comment

I'm glad to see pfizer getting into the act. I hope more pharma companies join in.

Comment

Congratulations on reaching this milestone, Dr. Young. It is a tremendous accomplishment for you and ChinaSCINet. I'm sure many people are anxious to see the results published.
                Daniel

Comment

Last edited by spidergirl; 10 Jan 2008, 2:53 AM.
                  Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman
                    I'm glad to see pfizer getting into the act. I hope more pharma companies join in.
                    Pfizer is a good company to have behind you.

When donating to the carecure community, where does that go just out of curiosity? Or rather does any funds from Keck go towards CHINASCINET? I would presume its all seperate...and when donating to Keck is that for all their science or just for spinal cord injury research? I am sorry as I have not delved into this yet.

I also applaud all the work and education Dr. Young takes on everyday.
                    Last edited by spidergirl; 10 Jan 2008, 2:56 AM.

Comment

Spidergirl

When you start to see big pharma's like pfizer getting into the act that tells you they must see some real promise there or they wouldn't put up their money. And they demand results. They know how to push delays quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by antiquity
                        Nope. ChinaSCINet is independently funded primarily through donations from the Chinese government, philanthropists and Pfizer.
                        I thought that also but the last correspondence I received from the Keck Center mentioned the ChinaSCINet so I wondered if there was now some type of partnership / collaboration. With Dr. Young's connections to Keck and ChinaSCINet it would seem logical that potential clinical trial procedures would be developed at Keck and executed using the ChinaSCINet.

Comment

Originally posted by litespeed4
                          I thought that also but the last correspondence I received from the Keck Center mentioned the ChinaSCINet so I wondered if there was now some type of partnership / collaboration. With Dr. Young's connections to Keck and ChinaSCINet it would seem logical that potential clinical trial procedures would be developed at Keck and executed using the ChinaSCINet.
                          Yes, there's intellectual collaboration. I was responding to the question asking if the Keck Center funds ChinaSCINet activities and that answer is no.

Comment

Let me clarify things.

I am the founding director of the Keck Center and I am the founder of ChinaSCINet. We raise funds for ChinaSCINet in Hong Kong and China. If people want to donate to the Keck Center or the ChinaSCINet, I am grateful. We will accept money for ChinaSCINet at the Keck Center where we have an account devoted to that purpose.

It is also important for me to emphasize that ChinaSCINet is not just to test therapies developed at the Keck Center. We will test therapies we believe is the most promising and feasible therapies. We have done and will do experiments at the Keck Center to test and the assess therapies for ChinaSCINet.

Finally, I am committed to clinical trials in the United States. This will take some time because a source of funding that I hoped could be used to fund the trials did not materialize. On November 6, we lost the referendum for $450 million of stem cell research in New Jersey. We have to keep working to make this happen.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman
                              Spidergirl

When you start to see big pharma's like pfizer getting into the act that tells you they must see some real promise there or they wouldn't put up their money. And they demand results. They know how to push delays quickly.
                              Pfizer is a big company and yes I agree. I just hope it's not all for the wrong reasons. The pharmaceutical industry feeds the government, not vice-versa. Pfizer in the past has been accused of paying the government off for healthcare issues.

I still don't believe that the US will bring us the cure first. I never did, I'm not sure I ever will.

Comment

Working...
                              X