SCI cure 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I love Gypsy...
    One of the greatest groups and Romanian to boot.

Merry XMas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GL7SskX13U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS-_W-dOYeo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9M019WdpjA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENvPuAA5odI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQn6Qb-9mD8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFmEkXSdRF0
    Last edited by cljanney; 26 Dec 2007, 1:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith
      Make sure you give them hell... I do now, don't care what people say or think on any type of stem cell research. I love getting into arguments about it, when I find someone who is against it, I just tell them when the time comes and they might need it or Alzheimer's and whatever they might get, they can sit there and suffer... it's time for a cure... my C3 injury sucks. Hoping for a miracle 2008...

I know how you feel Keith, I'm c4 no movement other than shoulders and head. It's nightmare since the first day of my accident even if I've a very good physical health. I gave up on cure...16 y post

Steve

Comment

No one should give up hope! I am starting an email campaign with facts and information - it won't be a long email, but informative. I will be sending it to all in my address book and asking them to please pass it on. We have to elect a president who will fund stem cell research! I point out in my email that there is a 99% chance that they, themselves, in their lifetime,or someone they know and love will benefit from stem cell therapies. I also point out just how easy it is to suffer a sci. Unless they know someone with a spinal cord injury, most people just don't give it much thought. But everyone knows someone with an ailment or disease that stem cell therapies could eventually help bring their suffering to an end. I also point out that everyone drives or rides in a car and that car accidents are the leading cause of sci! I am hoping that the word gets out there. We cannot have another president, like Bush, that does not support this vital research! I am a nice person, but there are many days that I pray Dub-Ya breaks HIS NECK!!
        Please consider an email campaign of your own. We can talk on this site until pigs fly, but it does little good if the AB's aren't informed!

Have a happy and safe new year!

Comment

It is sad to say, but I think Dub-Ya deserve to breaks HIS NECK!! .. and all the "Pro-life" people too!!
          In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
            Agree Leif,

being polite is getting old real fast. just did a bit of home work on the writer, ...
            I did too Leo, before posting, and she has biased overtones as for some religion as for entering her research, -it has nothing to do with research for therapies on the central nervous system. Jokers like that needs a slap on their face in '08.

Heather Zeiger has produced zero papers on SCI; as a matter of fact she has produced nothing!

PubMed;
            See Details. No items found.

Last edited by Leif; 26 Dec 2007, 7:24 PM.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if any of the people that oppose hESC research will be in line when the therapies are available?

Comment

Hi Leif,

I wrote Heather a very polite letter, yes polite

I shared some views and invited her here to talk about it.......so we'll see.
                http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                  Hi Leif,

I wrote Heather a very polite letter, yes polite

I shared some views and invited her here to talk about it.......so we'll see.
                  Invite her to talk about it on CC

Happy New Year Leo

Comment

Thinking about the cure in next year, about davies, keirstead, and chinasci work, one question comes to my mind, how fast a therapy developed in usa or china can be extended to europe and vice versa, from europe to usa or china?

HAPPY NEW YEAR
                    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Comment

Originally posted by Isildur
                      Thinking about the cure in next year, about davies, keirstead, and chinasci work, one question comes to my mind, how fast a therapy developed in usa or china can be extended to europe and vice versa, from europe to usa or china?

HAPPY NEW YEAR
                      Let's see what Heather will tell - Happy New Year

Comment

Originally posted by Isildur

HAPPY NEW YEAR
                        I'm sure if there is something viable, it will probably spread fairly quickly. If I was a neurosureon, I'd like to learn how to do it...but that's just me.
                        No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Comment

So judging from the discussion you read my article about the pluripotent stem cells derived from skin cells. I appreciate Leo writing to me and inviting me to the forum.

I can begin by addressing what I do. I work at Probe Ministries, but have a science background. Basically I write, teach, and speak on science and culture issues, and have been focusing my time on bioethics. Usually, I teach within the Christian community. Oftentimes Christians are either outspoken on issues (especially science) that they really don’t understand or don’t know how to approach an issue from a Christian worldview. I try to be a source of scholarship (to the best of my abilities anyway) in the area of science and culture.

I realize that our opinions differ in regards to the embryo, but I think that you can appreciate the fact that I really do seek to educate Christians on good science and being logically consistent with their worldview. So unlike some, I approach my conclusions after many hours of consideration and research (as well as prayer). I don’t lean on propaganda or emotional manipulation for my writing or teaching nor do I just follow whatever the “religious right” has put their stamp of approval on.

One thing I really work hard to do (and is a huge peeve of mine) is to help people understand the complexity of the issue, in this case ESC. Both sides of the stem cell debate seem to simplify and vilify the opposing side’s view. I think that is misleading and really unproductive. Whether you’re for or against ESC research, for the most part people on one side aren’t “baby killers” and for the most part people on the other side aren’t “heartless.” My goal is always to help people understand why someone would have the view that they do (which usually boils down to their worldview or philosophy of life, if you will), and hopefully, to help people at least have a little understanding, if not compassion, for the other side.

So if you want to discuss, let’s discuss…

Comment

in the Bible God says , i have know you from the time you were consived in the womb. not no petre dish.
                            oh well

Comment

Originally posted by HZeiger
                              So judging from the discussion you read my article about the pluripotent stem cells derived from skin cells. I appreciate Leo writing to me and inviting me to the forum.

I can begin by addressing what I do. I work at Probe Ministries, but have a science background. Basically I write, teach, and speak on science and culture issues, and have been focusing my time on bioethics. Usually, I teach within the Christian community. Oftentimes Christians are either outspoken on issues (especially science) that they really don’t understand or don’t know how to approach an issue from a Christian worldview. I try to be a source of scholarship (to the best of my abilities anyway) in the area of science and culture.

I realize that our opinions differ in regards to the embryo, but I think that you can appreciate the fact that I really do seek to educate Christians on good science and being logically consistent with their worldview. So unlike some, I approach my conclusions after many hours of consideration and research (as well as prayer). I don’t lean on propaganda or emotional manipulation for my writing or teaching nor do I just follow whatever the “religious right” has put their stamp of approval on.

One thing I really work hard to do (and is a huge peeve of mine) is to help people understand the complexity of the issue, in this case ESC. Both sides of the stem cell debate seem to simplify and vilify the opposing side’s view. I think that is misleading and really unproductive. Whether you’re for or against ESC research, for the most part people on one side aren’t “baby killers” and for the most part people on the other side aren’t “heartless.” My goal is always to help people understand why someone would have the view that they do (which usually boils down to their worldview or philosophy of life, if you will), and hopefully, to help people at least have a little understanding, if not compassion, for the other side.

So if you want to discuss, let’s discuss…

HZeiger, thank you very much for posting. I read your article and think that it was quite fair and balanced. I thought that you did not sufficiently emphasize that the induced pluripotent stem cells must now be shown to be therapeutically effective and safe and that embryonic stem cells have been taken to that stage in preclinical studies, but this is just a matter of emphasis and I thought that it was a very good article.

However, I would like to extend the discussion. Hundreds of thousands of blastocysts are being discarded every year from in vitro fertilization clinics. Whether they are used for research or not, they will be thrown away (killed). Research on these blastocysts does not kill any embryos. Would you be willing to accept embryonic stem cell research that does not kill embryos?

There are areas of science where embryonic stem cell studies are crucial and induced pluripotent stem cells are not good substitutes. For example, embryonic stem cells are the basis for development. To understand development abnormalities and what signals cells to develop abnormally, we need to study these cells both in culture and placed into developing animals. The one area that we can do little about is prevention of birth defects. Do you think that this area of research should be sacrificed?

Wise.

Comment

Heather,

First of all, welcome to CC. Question? Do you have any close family or friends living with Paralysis? If you don't, you cannot know the agony we live every second of every day. My point is that you speak eloquently and obviously your opinion reaches a fairly large audience, which directly affects how much longer I and many others will have to live this agony. I am asking you to stop it. How do you know that God did not allow those embryos to end up in that situation in an act of mercy to help end human suffering from disease and trauma? You don't. There is no way that you can 100% prove that this isn't the case. You need to visit my children and tell them why you are purposely impeding progress which may one day allow their dad to live a better life. Dr. Young, Steven Edwards, Smecky, Leo and a few others can educate you on the finer points of ESC's and their promise, I just wanted to let you know that if you or one of your loved ones had an unspeakable disease or affliction, I would not impede your recovery because of an 'unproven' difference of opinion.
                                Here's Hoping!

Comment

Working...
                                X