Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miami Project says Clinical Trials in 2008??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miami Project says Clinical Trials in 2008??

In this video it says that the Miami Project is starting clinical trials in 2008. Does anyone know what type of treatment they are talking about or is this just another smoke screen?

I don't have the direct video link but it's about half way down the linked page, in red. Its the video entitled "Sharing the Spot Light"

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/10/17/estefan.heroes/#cnnSTCvideo

Very grateful for the Miami Project & their research, but I don't believe a word they say. Will I ever read from them is a repair for sci... probably not in this lifetime.
    keiffer66

Comment

It would be great if there research was half as successful as there fund raising, they have that part of it down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by rjames
        It would be great if there research was half as successful as there fund raising, they have that part of it down pat.
        You've been doing this for... how long now? You know how much about the intricate biology of the human central nervous system? Where are you putting your research dollars? How long have the beneficiaries been working at this? How much of their research is based on those that came before? How much time will you give them to find answers? Everybody has to start somewhere and most medical research is based on earlier knowledge. Most (all?) of the negativity I see on these boards directed at Miami comes from people who have little to no direct interaction with the Project.

C.

Comment

As far as clinical trials, the possibilities as I see them:

(1) Schwann Cell / Rollipram

(2) Cold Saline Protocol

(3) Conduct a trial based on another organizations science.

From what I understand Dr. Mary Bartlett Bunge is highly regarded.

edit-"In our experimental models, we have already seventy percent recovery".Marc Buoniconti

video link- http://edition.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/1...s/#cnnSTCVideo
          Last edited by chasb; 19 Oct 2007, 4:51 AM.

Comment

All I know is that it would certainly be great to have some encouraging news come the new year ... I've been here at CareCure since 2002 and paralyzed for more than 22yrs .. five years are definately up! lol
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

If the next leader of the free world is at least somewhat sane I'm sure we will see a lot of good news ahead in the future.
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              challenges you're dealt but
              the challenges you seek...If
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Amen Curt!!! I am right there with you on that thought. Even marginal sanity would be an improvement over what we have now. lol

Comment

My observation is that more therapies will be developed before a cure is presented. I am hoping more breakthroughs in pain relief will be on the horizon.

Comment

Tiger, Why do you insist on going for my throat every time I post? I'm getting tired of it. I guess the day I saw you at the Irwindale Redi Auto Sport deal with Colours I should have introduced myself but I got a cold feeling from you then and that's why I didn't.

I have been at this everyday since March 10th 2005 when my son became a paraplegic, what have I learned?...yes spinal cord injuries are a very difficult and intricate thing to repair, that's pretty obvious. It's my opinion that some researchers and research centers (not all) seem to be in the business of raising funds to support their research or centers even if there work never bears fruit, the same goes for some SCI foundations out there, everyone needs a place to go to work monday morning.

Where does my money go? in 2 1/2 years I have held 3 fund raisers and given $90K to Reeve-Irvine and $45k to the Christopher Reeve Foundation not to mention the cash I have handed out to help some newly injured people with some basic necessities.

I don't really care where the cure/improvements come from as long as they come. I would like nothing more than to see them come from MP but I just don't ever hear of any breaking news coming from them. Maybe it's all top secret and they are going to unroll some break through soon, I hope so. It just seems like tons of cash rolls in that place and not much comes out. I admire Marc and his families commitment SCI research and there ability to raise funds I just think with that much money and the amount of years that they have focused on this there would be more to show for it.

Hope you have a wonderful day.......................

Comment

Why do you insist on going for my throat every time I post?
                      Off the top of my head, I can remember posting to exactly two threads that you started or participated in. In the first one, I was not the first person, let alone the only one, to disagree with things you said. In the case of this particular thread, I am saying the same kind of things to you that I have said to others who I felt were spreading negativity based on ignorance regarding the Miami Project. I have nothing personal against you. I don't even know you. And equating the questions I've asked you to "going for the throat" seems a bit melodramatic at best.

I guess the day I saw you at the Irwindale Redi Auto Sport deal with Colours I should have introduced myself but I got a cold feeling from you then and that's why I didn't.
                      I'm sorry that you didn't introduce yourself. I meet alot of great people at the track. I talk to scores of them on race weekends. We take pictures, sign autographs, pass out team pins to the little ones and encourage them to climb in and out of the cars. I'm quite sure that not everyone likes me, that's only natural, but I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that most of them enjoyed their time in our paddock as much as I did.

I had a pretty good time at Irwindale, until the end of the day when I had some difficulties. Perhaps that's when you saw me. I ended up leaving sooner than I wanted to and didn't even get to finish the auto-x.

I have been at this everyday since March 10th 2005 when my son became a paraplegic
                      I'm very sorry about your son. I've seen the pain in my father's eyes since my accident and I can imagine it is reflected in yours. My point was that you and your family are still very new at this. You have not been a part or even an observer of the past 20 some years of research in the area of SCI.

what have I learned?...yes spinal cord injuries are a very difficult and intricate thing to repair, that's pretty obvious.
                      Is it? And yet oh-so many people are insistent that a "cure" should have been found years ago and the only two possible reasons for why that hasn't happened is that not enough money is being poured into research or that those who are receiving money are misusing it.

It's my opinion that some researchers and research centers (not all) seem to be in the business of raising funds to support their research or centers even if there work never bears fruit, the same goes for some SCI foundations out there
                      And I've asked you what you base that opinion on? I don't believe you actually know anyone at the Project and I think that your bad mouthing them and spreading these vague and baseless rumours is hurtful and could be damaging to their mission. A mission that could benefit me and a great many others affiliated with this website, including your son.

Where does my money go?
                      You miss the point of my questions. Here, I'll post the relevant bits again:

How long have the beneficiaries been working at this? How much of their research is based on those that came before? How much time will you give them to find answers? Everybody has to start somewhere and most medical research is based on earlier knowledge.

I just think with that much money and the amount of years that they have focused on this there would be more to show for it.
                      Again, what do you base this opinion of yours on? What medical degrees do you hold? How much scientific research have you participated in? How many studies have you facilitated in the areas of biology or chemistry?

Post actual facts. Not rumours, innuendo and baseless opinions.

C.

Comment

in 2 1/2 years I have held 3 fund raisers and given $90K to Reeve-Irvine and $45k to the Christopher Reeve Foundation not to mention the cash I have handed out to help some newly injured people with some basic necessities.
                        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                          Off the top of my head, I can remember posting to exactly two threads that you started or participated in. In the first one, I was not the first person, let alone the only one, to disagree with things you said. In the case of this particular thread, I am saying the same kind of things to you that I have said to others who I felt were spreading negativity based on ignorance regarding the Miami Project. I have nothing personal against you. I don't even know you. And equating the questions I've asked you to "going for the throat" seems a bit melodramatic at best.

I'm sorry that you didn't introduce yourself. I meet alot of great people at the track. I talk to scores of them on race weekends. We take pictures, sign autographs, pass out team pins to the little ones and encourage them to climb in and out of the cars. I'm quite sure that not everyone likes me, that's only natural, but I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that most of them enjoyed their time in our paddock as much as I did.

I had a pretty good time at Irwindale, until the end of the day when I had some difficulties. Perhaps that's when you saw me. I ended up leaving sooner than I wanted to and didn't even get to finish the auto-x.

I'm very sorry about your son. I've seen the pain in my father's eyes since my accident and I can imagine it is reflected in yours. My point was that you and your family are still very new at this. You have not been a part or even an observer of the past 20 some years of research in the area of SCI.

Is it? And yet oh-so many people are insistent that a "cure" should have been found years ago and the only two possible reasons for why that hasn't happened is that not enough money is being poured into research or that those who are receiving money are misusing it.

And I've asked you what you base that opinion on? I don't believe you actually know anyone at the Project and I think that your bad mouthing them and spreading these vague and baseless rumours is hurtful and could be damaging to their mission. A mission that could benefit me and a great many others affiliated with this website, including your son.

You miss the point of my questions. Here, I'll post the relevant bits again:

How long have the beneficiaries been working at this? How much of their research is based on those that came before? How much time will you give them to find answers? Everybody has to start somewhere and most medical research is based on earlier knowledge.

Again, what do you base this opinion of yours on? What medical degrees do you hold? How much scientific research have you participated in? How many studies have you facilitated in the areas of biology or chemistry?

Post actual facts. Not rumours, innuendo and baseless opinions.

C.
                          You can demand accountability without demanding a cure. When people have poured so much into an organization they can ask said organization "what have you done with this money". No organization deserves a blank check with no accountability. You can expect people to supply funds with limited to no results in return for only so long.

And you don't need a degree to judge results. Thats like if your accountant ruined you taxes then said "why don't you do them yourself since its so easy". we know its a difficult task but if your not up to it or can't conquor it maybe its time to bow out. but we know that will never happen..

Comment

Originally posted by Eric.S
                            You can demand accountability without demanding a cure. When people have poured so much into an organization they can ask said organization "what have you done with this money". No organization deserves a blank check with no accountability.
                            When have I said otherwise? My family has been involved with the Project for quite some time and I can assure you that every dollar was accounted for. The point of my questions to RJames (and others) is to find out if they are actually involved with the organization they are bashing. Do they have real, first hand knowledge or are they spreading rumour and innuendo?

C.

Comment

Where does my money go? in 2 1/2 years I have held 3 fund raisers and given $90K to Reeve-Irvine and $45k to the Christopher Reeve Foundation not to mention the cash I have handed out to help some newly injured people with some basic necessities.

I don't really care where the cure/improvements come from as long as they come.
                              $90K ...I know your not looking for accolades, but that is really impressive. It's amazing how successful some people are at raising funds.
                              Great work, thanks for your efforts.

Have to agree with you about the cure. Don't care where it comes from, just care about when. Lot's of promising things out there. Just need a little more support/funding to move it along.
                              "Our lives begin to end the day
                              we become silent about things that matter."
                              - Martin Luther King Jr

Comment

Working...
                              X