No announcement yet.

To Wait or Not to Wait: Overseas’ Stem Cell Treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they charged me and nada ,,,if oeg doesnt work why they still continue the same procedure and trap [decoy]desperate people to think that a miracle will happen after such of procedure?i am paralyzed but i am not insane yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
      Eric, absolutely. One of the most important functions of a clinical trial is to show that things don't work. The problem with most of the so-called clinical trials that are going on overseas is that the investigators have a conflict of interest (they are receiving money for the treatment) and are very unlikely to say that it does not work. They will continue to use a therapy even one that does not work, as long they continue to be paid.

Wise.
      The same probably holds true for clinical trials here (other than the making profits). Who does all those years of research and work and feels good about there research being shot down in a trial. I'm sure experimental procedures and trials have a lot in common when it comes to wishiful thinking by those involved. I mean names and careers are tied to these things. granted the trial has a much greater chance of accuracy but it seems the results at times are still disputable.

Comment

As I se it, there are no choice as to science, other than to stimulate it, that’s just a lill hope, and if doing right one could close in, the more the faster. Stem cell or any injections like discussed here if one is discussing chronics, there are none therapy’s. It requires more one would anticipate, and to stand up for more, I urge, like many here on this web forum do might be a good thing. Come on. -United to move sci we do (and never give in), we try, we help others, thereby we help, or to say, want to do so.
        Last edited by Leif; 09-28-2007, 10:29 PM.

Comment

docs should not charge people like us...the goverment should pay for any trials....we sci patients suffer a lot.is hard to feel neuropain and spasms...i was ab before my injury and i can say that sci is the worst thing that a human can bear.

Comment

Originally posted by adi chicago
            i was ab before my injury and i can say that sci is the worst thing that a human can bear.
            not to throw the thread off topic but,

I bet they're people who would argue that point..

Comment

Recapping the Hurlbert and Eck studies of Canada and the US respectively, as mentioned by Dr. Young regarding methylprednisolone usage:

CONCLUSIONS: The vast majority of spine surgeons in Canada either do not prescribe methylprednisolone for acute SCI, or do so for what might be considered the wrong reasons. These results demonstrate the need for an evidence-based practice guideline.
              and:

CONCLUSIONS: The majority (90.5%) of responding surgeons used the steroid protocol; however, only 24.1% used the steroid protocol due to a belief in improved clinical outcomes.
              Clearly the vast majority of treating physicians does not believe in the efficacy that the Bracken studies attempted to establish. They simply apply the treatment because there isn't anything else available for acute sci.

Comment

good grief, ppl. no engineer in his/her right mind builds an airplane, building,what have you, without proven analyses and tests. we can do this in a relatively short timeframe (or you wouldn't be safely flying from place to place today).

medical trials are MUCH more time consuming, less accurate (no computer structural modeling such as finite element) and involve real people. it is very complex. i don't believe many here have a clue how much goes into that airplane they rely on to get from point A to B. yet they get on the plane.

you can't program human trials into a finite element analysis. human trials take years. comparing a polio vaccine to sci is ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by cass
                  good grief, ppl. no engineer in his/her right mind builds an airplane, building,what have you, without proven analyses and tests. we can do this in a relatively short timeframe (or you wouldn't be safely flying from place to place today).

medical trials are MUCH more time consuming, less accurate (no computer structural modeling such as finite element) and involve real people. it is very complex. i don't believe many here have a clue how much goes into that airplane they rely on to get from point A to B. yet they get on the plane.

you can't program human trials into a finite element analysis. human trials take years. comparing a polio vaccine to sci is ludicrous.
                  Cass, thank you so much for your post. Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cass
                    human trials take years.
                    I'm glad someone else has read up on clinical trial timelines.

Comment

Originally posted by cass
                      How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky
                        I'm glad someone else has read up on clinical trial timelines.
                        Schmeky, not sure why you forget the fast track option that is available, and maybe that's why there are two labs ready to put their ESC derived SCI treatments to clinical trials in 2008, based on Keirstead's work and Dr. Martin Marsala's work.

Centers have already been selected for the Marsala trials and I assume Geron has theirs lined up too.

Comment

Faye,

I don't post on assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky
                            Faye,

I don't post on assumptions.
                            D., assumptions that clinical trials can't be fast tracked here in the US are assumptions on your part.

Please leave my mom out of this, I happen to be as open-minded as she is.
                            Meybe check out my work when I next testify in Tallahassee with my Freedom Mobility Light speech machine: http://www.words-plus.com/website/products/products.htm

Stephen Hawkins has done a lot to open minds, and I intend to do the same.

Comment

When you're lying in bed paralyzed from the armpits down, that 20% improvement offered by methylprednisolone looks pretty good. I know I was laying there begging for it repeatedly. I don't know why it is your life's mission to tear down one of the few therapies that the newly injured have available.

Quit pretending to be Jason, Faye, that is so tacky it is unbelievable. You are shameless.
                              Blog:
                              Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

theres to much personal issues and politics on this site. we should stick to opinions on things that can help us all.

Comment

Working...
                                X