Now is an opportunity to act - paralyzed nfl player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steven Edwards
    I hope Everett recovers, but I haven't read anything about that yet.

Two ways this could benefit us: Everett is allowed to use Cethrin and recovers. That would give SCI research big publicity and Bioaxone an infusion of cash. Cethrin may also be beneficial for chronics, which is a plus.

Everett doesn't recover and the NFL agrees to hold fundraisers for SCI research and/or promote SCI research.
    dennis byrd (also NFL) got some kind of acute treatment; did anything happen with that?

Comment

Some of the previous posts illustrate the folly of applying one's limited experience and reality as a gauge for others whose situation may be quite different. We rarely learn while we talk, and strongly worded statements lessen the probability of empathic communication. When intelligent and articulate people repeatedly "misunderstand" each other, one of two conclusions can be drawn. One, the poster is reinforced by conflict. Or, two, their objectivity is questionable.

It is a harsh reality that some SCI's are so sever that longevity is greatly reduced. I would guess that most condemned on death row outlive many with very high injuries. This must change - and that change must come soon. We often banter about what area of SCI should be addressed first. For me, the highest priority would be to develop therapies that restore independent respiration and the ability for self care to those most impacted by SCI.
      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by mimin
        dennis byrd (also NFL) got some kind of acute treatment; did anything happen with that?
        I'm shamefully not knowledgable of this. Byrd was injured in '92, so I'm assuming he received methylprednisolone.

I have a call into Everett's agent. I'm going to suggest trying to get Cethrin on a compassionate use basis if he's not showing any major recovery.

"He's had some sparse movement," Everett's agent Brian Overstreet told The Associated Press in a phone interview late Sunday.

"The next couple of days is going to be critical," said Overstreet, responding to a question about paralysis. "Our concern is for him to come out of this healthy and, hopefully, be able to walk again." (Source)
        Last edited by Steven Edwards; 10 Sep 2007, 3:24 PM.
        ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old
          It is a harsh reality that some SCI's are so sever that longevity is greatly reduced. I would guess that most condemned on death row outlive many with very high injuries. This must change - and that change must come soon. We often banter about what area of SCI should be addressed first. For me, the highest priority would be to develop therapies that restore independent respiration and the ability for self care to those most impacted by SCI.
          You said exactly what I was thinking!!!! Thank you for putting it so eloquently.
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer
            You said exactly what I was thinking!!!! Thank you for putting it so eloquently.
            Times two.

Comment

I'm shamefully not knowledgable of this. Byrd was injured in '92, so I'm assuming he received methylprednisolone.

I have a call into Everett's agent. I'm going to suggest trying to get Cethrin on a compassionate use basis if he's not showing any major recovery.
              i'd bet not 1 doctor has ever heard of cethrin. too be a computer programer, you must keep up with the latest in computer technology. too be a doctor today, 1976 technology is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                Oh, please. I only wish there was more of that. I got tired of people assuming that my life sucked a long time ago. I've spent ages educating people that life with a SCI isn't the end of the freakin' world. For the first two decades, I didn't even know any gimps who would disgree with that. Imagine my surprise when I came here.

The general public is plenty aware of how bad a SCI sux. Nobody will hear about this injury and think that it is anything less than the devastating turn of events that it is. I hope that this man recovers quickly and completely. My best to him and his family and friends.

C.
                One thing I've learned since being injuried is that people have vastly different standards and expectations in life and people on different ends of the spectrum could never begin to understand the other side.

i personally am not interested with what people think of my life I'm only interested in making it better. I'm sort of envious of those who can look past sci as a sort of incovenience because to me it is a big deal.

I gotta say though, I feel the whole turning paralysis into a new minority or club mentality is kind of a coping mechanism. I always wonder to myself "are they really that ok with paralysis?" I seem to find a lot people that come off as if they have something to prove to i dont know themselves or someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric.S
                  One thing I've learned since being injuried is that people have vastly different standards and expectations in life and people on different ends of the spectrum could never begin to understand the other side.

i personally am not interested with what people think of my life I'm only interested in making it better. I'm sort of envious of those who can look past sci as a sort of incovenience because to me it is a big deal.

I gotta say though, I feel the whole turning paralysis into a new minority or club mentality is kind of a coping mechanism. I always wonder to myself "are they really that ok with paralysis?" I seem to find a lot people that come off as if they have something to prove to i dont know themselves or someone.
                  I agree.

Some people lose a loved one, and are wrecked for a life time by it, and others pick up and move on. And there are all those places in between.

Comment

Ralph Wilson Foundation

I hope Everett recovers, but I haven't read anything about that yet.

Two ways this could benefit us: Everett is allowed to use Cethrin and recovers. That would give SCI research big publicity and Bioaxone an infusion of cash. Cethrin may also be beneficial for chronics, which is a plus.

Everett doesn't recover and the NFL agrees to hold fundraisers for SCI research and/or promote SCI research.

Something worth noting is that the owner of the Bills, Ralph Wilson, is a personal friend Dr. Green and supporter of MP.

BTW: http://www.rwmrf.org/about.html

Comment

Thanks BMOC.

I'm checking with Cethrin's license holder to see whether they would be willing to allow it under a compassionate use request (assuming the FDA agrees).

Cethrin has to be applied during surgery, which Everett has already had, within 7 days of injury. Whether or not he'll need a second surgery, or doctors will be willing to perform a second surgery just to apply it, I don't know.

If Cethrin is allowed on a compassionate use basis, given their positive interim phase I/II results, that would be huge for newly injured patients.
                      ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

And if it works everyone can say it happened to him for a reason... sorry I am grumpy.
                        If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I am quite disappointed to hear what the surgeon said to Kevin Everett when Kevin asked about the potential to recover from his injury…as reported by the AP:

Cappuccino said Everett was alert and aware of the extent of his injuries. "I told Kevin that the chances for a full neurologic recovery were bleak, dismal," he said.

And he said this even though…

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement.

Why is it that this Dr could not say he was not certain about the amount of recovery that may occur. That guy is sedated and on a respirator and the last thing he heard was that he had very little chance of significant improvement.

I am not advocating false hope but what he told the guy was opinion and not fact.

Comment

Dr. Jane (CR's surgeon, as well as mine) told my family the same thing when I came out of surgery. Most neurosurgeons are the same way. It's only a matter of time before Everett & his family/friends push that statement aside.

Comment

Originally posted by quadfather
                              I am not advocating false hope but what he told the guy was opinion and not fact.
                              No one thinks otherwise. However, that opinion is based on a rational prognosis considering the CNS doesn't mend itself for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                                Dr. Jane (CR's surgeon, as well as mine) told my family the same thing when I came out of surgery. Most neurosurgeons are the same way. It's only a matter of time before Everett & his family/friends push that statement aside.
                                Is this something that is taught in medical school? Some "best practice" pronouncement that is thought to allow patients and families to "move on" and prepare to deal with the new reality? Or, perhaps this is done to lower expectations so that doctors will not be blamed if worse case scenarios develop?

I believe we must aim very high in setting goals for recovery. Better to fall short of lofty goals than to settle for less function than can be achieved by best effort.

There is power in hope. Doctors should be reluctant to remove this tool from patients (and themselves). I don't want them blowing smoke, but neither do I want them to close the door of possibility too soon.

How's that letter progressing, Steven?
                                Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Working...
                                X