Stephen Davies Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jesse's Mom View Post
    And all I ask for is a small bit of information, even if it is NADDA, if only a one sentence post saying I am still here for you all.
    Good point. I think a lot of us read "no news" as "good news." Then "good news" as "great news." etc. Maybe he or one of his assistants can keep our expectations realistic.

Comment

False hope is preferred?
      Here's my Dollar!
      Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
      "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
      ====================
      If you stare long enough,
      I may do a Trick....

Comment

I hear you brother. Well stated.
        Originally posted by khmorgan View Post
        Dr. Young, you are right, of course. Criticism rarely helps.

However, I don't think most people are really upset over the lack of updates as they are Dr. Davies' apparent lack of progress toward an available treatment.

For some, 5 more years is a loss of 5 years of being relatively normal. However, for some of us, it is just too long. Our bodies are getting too old and frail to last another 5 to 10 more years.

I know you've heard it all, as has Dr. Davies. I just hope you both have very thick skins, because sometimes the demon inside each of us gets loose.

Thanks again for being there.
        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse's Mom View Post
          What have we done for them? Given money to their research in hopes of seeing my son walk again. And all I ask for is a small bit of information, even if it is NADDA, if only a one sentence post saying I am still here for you all. I hate this bickering and I am too embarrassed at some of the posts but it is all in frustration. I disagree with you tho that Dr. Davies doesnt owe us anything. "Owing" isnt quite the right word but I do think just a brief appearance on his part is necessary to keep us hopeful.
          Thank you for supporting research you believe in. It is the single most important and effective thing we can do.

Regarding Dr. Davies, I am confident that he is doing exactly what he believes will bring about the quickest way to get your son out of his chair. Whether that is working in the lab, writing research papers, applying for grant money, making presentations at Work2Walk, or posting here (which he obviously has not done for some time), I know that foremost in his mind he is asking himself what is the way he can most effectively use his time to bring about a safe, reliable, and effective cure for your son and millions of others like him.

It's disappointing when our expectations don't overlap with his choices. What I always come back to is "What can I do that will be most effective in getting me out of this chair?" And the thing I keep coming back to is raising funds. You may reach different decisions. We're all working toward the same end.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
            May I suggest some patience? Criticizing him for not updating this thread is not helping. The goal is to get more and better research. Thanks. Wise.
            Patience? I suggest you hold Dr. Davies to similar standards you hold yourself. I'd like to see the patience around here if you stopped posting for about a year. Or maybe you just dont find your time as valuable as that of Dr. Davies.

f
            ight

Comment

wow..........!!!
              http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eks View Post
                WOW! That'll teach 'em! No fucking messing with you man!

The amount of entitlement some of you express in this thread is shocking. I'm almost embarrassed. You know, Dr. Davies doesn't owe us a gawddamn thing. NADDA.
                He owes me nothing and I owe him nothing.

Originally posted by eks View Post
                And what have you done for them?
                Donated $38k

Comment

Originally posted by quadfather View Post
                  Donated $38k
                  can't say I'd feel differently.

the thought of "why not offer a prospectus?" came to mind this morning; guess it could apply to this thread too.

/forum/showpost.php?p=1175852&postcount=114

Comment

Out of Pettiness and Self aggravation, Lets continue to discourage those few whom are trying to help.
                    Good Call.......
                    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
                    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
                    ====================
                    If you stare long enough,
                    I may do a Trick....

Comment

I've received quite a few emails telling me how nasty discussions have turned about my labs SCI research on this forum. Unfortunately I was told in the past by many people in the SCI community that this forum has a reputation for just such behavior. Have I read the negative comments? No. What possible good could it do. I'm sorry these people feel the way they do and I fully understand their frustration given what they are having to deal with. Enough said.

Why have I not posted in the last few months? Is this a sign that all has gone wrong with our SCI research? No. Quite the contrary. I have been back in the lab myself often working seven days a week analyzing spinal cords treated with decorin and GDA cells. We have been working on exactly what I said we would in my past posts. Why have I not posted the new data we now have on this forum? Because the international scientific and clinical communities rightly demand that the results be peer reviewed before they are presented to the public. No cells or drugs should go to SCI clinical trial without first showing remarkable results in at least acute SCI rats let alone chronic SCI rats or larger animal models. When our new data is published this year - no one except maybe my scientific competitors (some of whom I'm told read my posts on this forum) are going to be disappointed. The time frame for translation of our discoveries to clinical trial has not lengthened in any way - quite the opposite in fact as we have overcome several major technical challenges.

So for those that would like me to constantly post on this forum - sorry I'm not that kind of scientist (or should I say politician). I'm off back to my lab now as actions speak louder than words.

Comment

Good luck and good job!

Comment

i hate that there has to be scientific competitors instead of collaborators,but i guess thats the nature of the beast.best of luck dr.davies

Comment

Thank You so much for your post. Honest to God, it makes me feel more hopeful again as I was a year ago. That was all I ask and even much more. Guess I am talking to posters now as Davies will be back at the grind stone, thankgoodness. I shall be putting $500 into the mail tomorrow to prove my sincerity.

Comment

I will also be sending a contribution to Dr. Davies because I want to support research that could become a treatment for my son.

Roger

Comment

Very uplifting to hear this from an actual scientist. I don't follow this much but am glad I peeked into this thread. Thank you Dr. Davies for your hard work.
                                Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

Working...
                                X