Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stephen Davies Update

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by LaMemChose View Post
    As for HIV versus SCI contributions/donations, more people are impacted by HIV than SCI.
    Sorry, but I tend to check such assertions. According to the CDC, there are less than 500,000 people living with HIV/AIDS in the US. See http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/survei....htm#incidence

    While according to the Christopher Reeve organization, well over 1 million people suffer from SCI. See http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...s__Figures.htm

    Personally, I think people with HIV are more motivated to find a cure and are better at fund raising. Of course, up until the end, they are far more mobile.

    Excuses aside, how many of us talk a lot about donating, but never quite get around to it?

    Comment


      Khmorgan, yes I agree with you. A GREAT point. Collectively there ARE more people suffering from SCI and neurological pain. Let's stop giving excuses and get motivated!!!!

      I personally have given Dr. Davies over $6000 so far, and will ABSOLUTELY give more.
      I tried to put aside a little each month. I know it is a small contribution in the grand scheme of things, but I try my best.
      I realize if we are going to make things go faster we need LARGE contributors. I am saddened by the fact that not one person on CC Forums has responded to my idea, with "Sure, I will try it in my area", especially those of us in large cities.

      You are right, KH, it is easy to sit back and do nothing but complain about why Dr. Davies has not posted or why more people have AIDS. Let's TRY something in the interim people!!!!! C'mon let's O*R*G*A*N*I*Z*E

      Where are my famous posters??? Susan M? Schmeky? Charles Hansen? Alipur? Let's try!!!! Each of us in our own cities!!!!

      Trust me, I have HORRIBLE neurological pain, and I am SO tempted to lay in bed with pain medicine and twinkies .....BUT LET'S FIGHT!!!!!!

      Do I have ANY volunteers????

      Each of us can call activist organizations in our own cities and see if this research can get any financial help...we can also seek support from OTHER charitable people or organizations. Let's each come up with an idea in our own cities!!!!!

      C'mon....

      Comment


        Originally posted by CareCureGirl View Post
        Khmorgan, yes I agree with you. A GREAT point. Collectively there ARE more people suffering from SCI and neurological pain. Let's stop giving excuses and get motivated!!!!

        I personally have given Dr. Davies over $6000 so far, and will ABSOLUTELY give more.
        I tried to put aside a little each month. I know it is a small contribution in the grand scheme of things, but I try my best.
        I realize if we are going to make things go faster we need LARGE contributors. I am saddened by the fact that not one person on CC Forums has responded to my idea, with "Sure, I will try it in my area", especially those of us in large cities.

        You are right, KH, it is easy to sit back and do nothing but complain about why Dr. Davies has not posted or why more people have AIDS. Let's TRY something in the interim people!!!!! C'mon let's O*R*G*A*N*I*Z*E

        Where are my famous posters??? Susan M? Schmeky? Charles Hansen? Alipur? Let's try!!!! Each of us in our own cities!!!!

        Trust me, I have HORRIBLE neurological pain, and I am SO tempted to lay in bed with pain medicine and twinkies .....BUT LET'S FIGHT!!!!!!

        Do I have ANY volunteers????

        Each of us can call activist organizations in our own cities and see if this research can get any financial help...we can also seek support from OTHER charitable people or organizations. Let's each come up with an idea in our own cities!!!!!

        C'mon....
        CCGirl,

        I like your attitude. I am sure that many here are working the way you are suggesting, they just don't post the details here. I have donated to Dr. Davies and Prof. Young and I am working on a fund rising event to buy some lab equipment for an SCI researcher here in Italy.

        I hope your post will encourage more people to take action.

        Paolo
        Last edited by paolocipolla; 27 Sep 2009, 9:51 AM.
        In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

        Comment


          Originally posted by CareCureGirl View Post

          I personally have given Dr. Davies over $6000 so far, and will ABSOLUTELY give more. I tried to put aside a little each month. I know it is a small contribution in the grand scheme of things, but I try my best.

          Each of us can call activist organizations in our own cities and see if this research can get any financial help...we can also seek support from OTHER charitable people or organizations. Let's each come up with an idea in our own cities!!!!!

          C'mon....
          CCG, you hit the nail on the head, if we all do our part, clinical trials will happen. We can no longer wait but make this happen!

          Any suggestions?

          Comment


            Fund Raising

            Originally posted by Jim View Post
            CCG, you hit the nail on the head, if we all do our part, clinical trials will happen. We can no longer wait but make this happen!

            Any suggestions?

            Has anyone looked into a local artist to make some t-shirts w/logo for SCINetUSA? Checkout Life Rolls On's site for all the merch. they have on their site. When my daughter goes to small band venues they are always selling some type of merch.
            Aggie Mom 2007

            Comment


              Count me in !!!!!!

              Originally posted by CareCureGirl View Post
              Khmorgan, yes I agree with you. A GREAT point. Collectively there ARE more people suffering from SCI and neurological pain. Let's stop giving excuses and get motivated!!!!

              I personally have given Dr. Davies over $6000 so far, and will ABSOLUTELY give more.
              I tried to put aside a little each month. I know it is a small contribution in the grand scheme of things, but I try my best.
              I realize if we are going to make things go faster we need LARGE contributors. I am saddened by the fact that not one person on CC Forums has responded to my idea, with "Sure, I will try it in my area", especially those of us in large cities.

              You are right, KH, it is easy to sit back and do nothing but complain about why Dr. Davies has not posted or why more people have AIDS. Let's TRY something in the interim people!!!!! C'mon let's O*R*G*A*N*I*Z*E

              Where are my famous posters??? Susan M? Schmeky? Charles Hansen? Alipur? Let's try!!!! Each of us in our own cities!!!!

              Trust me, I have HORRIBLE neurological pain, and I am SO tempted to lay in bed with pain medicine and twinkies .....BUT LET'S FIGHT!!!!!!

              Do I have ANY volunteers????

              Each of us can call activist organizations in our own cities and see if this research can get any financial help...we can also seek support from OTHER charitable people or organizations. Let's each come up with an idea in our own cities!!!!!

              C'mon....
              YES WE CAN ! I'm from a small town in central TX so if theres anyone in my area that would like to exchange ideas as far as raising money please let me know. I'm a huge fan of Dr Davies and Dr Young and the research their labs are working on.

              Vic
              "I'm manic as hell-
              But I'm goin' strong-
              Left my meds on the sink again-
              My head will be racing by lunchtime"

              <----Scott Weiland---->

              Comment


                Paolo, Jim, JHorn, and INeedM,

                Thank you so much for responding!!!! Each of you please PM me, if you do not wish to post here...Let's exchange contact info and get things rolling!!!!!!!!(No pun intended) WE WILL ORGANIZE !!!!!! T shirts are a GREAT suggestion!

                C'mon people!!!!!! Contact each of us!!!!! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!! YOU NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
                Last edited by CareCureGirl; 27 Sep 2009, 7:55 PM. Reason: spelling

                Comment


                  P.S.

                  I believe ONE suggestion..... is that each of us should find out who major contributors are to health related charities in each of our areas....

                  (Check with local hospitals and organizations for neurological disorders...read the society sections in newspapers for information on fundraising events that have taken place...see who the contributors are...Do research on the internet)

                  We should contact each of these people and/or organizations with our presentations on Dr. Davies work and WHY it could impact the health and quality of life for SO MANY people...NOW AND IN THE FUTURE...

                  Let's research the numbers as KH did....Let's ALL TRY each one of us to get funding...in EACH area we live in!!!!

                  AND REMIND ALL THAT THEIR DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE !!!!!!

                  PM me so that we can each contribute our own ideas!!!!!!

                  WE CAN DO THIS!!!!
                  Last edited by CareCureGirl; 27 Sep 2009, 9:19 PM. Reason: addition to post

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by CareCureGirl View Post
                    AND REMIND ALL THAT THEIR DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE !!!!!!

                    PM me so that we can each contribute our own ideas!!!!!!
                    Just a couple of thoughts:

                    1. Some charities may not want to invest in the work of a single researcher like Dr. Davies. They might prefer to donate to a well known charity like the Christopher Reeve Foundation (CRF). That's fine because the CRF supports Dr. Davies' research.
                    2. Many large companies match the gifts of their employees to hospitals and schools, but not to general charities. In that case, a gift to Dr. Davies via University of Colorado is matched whereas a gift to CRF is not.
                    Last edited by khmorgan; 29 Sep 2009, 5:30 PM. Reason: Typo

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by khmorgan View Post
                      Just a couple of thoughts:

                      1. Some charities may not want to invest in the work of a single researcher like Dr. Davies. They might prefer to donate to a well known charity like the Christopher Reeve Foundation (CRF). That's find because the CRF supports Dr. Davies' research.
                      2. Many large companies match the gifts of their employees to hospitals and schools, but not to general charities. In that case, a gift to Dr. Davies via University of Colorado is matched whereas a gift to CRF is not.
                      Very true khmorgan, we have attracted a few donors because Rutgers University Foundation is the recipient of donations made to JustADollarPlease.

                      Comment


                        Great energy, everyone. Here's a link to the Fundraiser Toolkit recently produced by Unite 2 Fight Paralysis, it has something for everyone:

                        http://unite2fightparalysis.org/fundraising_toolkit

                        disclosure: I am a U2FP co-founder and board member

                        Susan
                        Please submit your photo and story of hope:

                        http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/


                        http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jhorn4012 View Post
                          Has anyone looked into a local artist to make some t-shirts w/logo for SCINetUSA? Checkout Life Rolls On's site for all the merch. they have on their site. When my daughter goes to small band venues they are always selling some type of merch.
                          This is good as LRO just merged with the CRF so whatever money they raise goes to the CRF.

                          Comment


                            Davies Speaking at SCI Recovery Project Fundraiser!

                            Hello Everyone,
                            The SCI Recovery Project in Denver CO. will be holding it's first annual fundraiser on November 6th at 7pm at the Lemay auto museum in Lakewood, CO. Dr Davies will be a guest speaker at the event giving a short presentation. Event tickets are $50 each, proceeds are being used to support the SCI Recovery Project a 501c3 exercise based recovery program purchase new equipment. See our website to purchase tickets or for more details.
                            www.scirecoveryproject.com

                            Comment


                              How did the fundraiser go, scitrainer? How was Dr. Davies's presentation? Just wondering what is up with his research and paper.

                              Comment


                                me too
                                "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

                                "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


                                2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                                Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X