No announcement yet.

Stephen Davies Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to ask Schmeky that.....He knows EVERYTHING!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky View Post
      I learned many things on my second visit to Stephen Davies new lab in Denver, Colorado. Stephen spent a full 2 days with me in a one-on-one conversation concerning his latest CNS repair research.

Decorin: Due to the recent move from Houston, Texas, to Denver, Colorado, the work with Decorin in the chronic injury was delayed. Presently, there are rats in the lab that are currently 4.5 months out from injury. Decorin studies will begin when the rats are approximately 6 months post injury, which equates to around December 1st, 2007. This will ensure little argument about the definition of chronic in a lab rat.

Decorin has shown to provide numerous effects in the acute setting, among these are:
      1) appears to be safe, is presently in testing in the cancer research field
      2) promotes plasticity
      3) desensitizes neurons to their environment
      4) degrades the chronic scar (preliminary findings)
      5) a human form of Decorin is currently available

Therefore, the first human trials to arise from Davies work will utilize Decorin as a single modality. I asked Davies once the chronic scar is degraded, will it return? He indicated he didn’t think so. This is important. When newer cell based treatments surface in the future, Decorin could have potentially already degraded the chronic scar. This means once Decorin is used, it most likely will not be needed again in the future. Additionally, there is evidence the CNS is constantly trying to regenerate, therefore, Decorin as first step could maximize the CNS's ability to repair itself.

At his point the effective dosage and duration of Decorin for the CNS is not known. Since Decorin expresses plasmin (think of plasmin as a molecular “blow torch”), it is important to determine the correct dosage and duration. To much Decorin could be counter-productive. What degree of recovery can be expected using Decorin alone? This is presently unknown, however, testing will begin very soon. Davies indicated to me his goal is “robust regeneration” in the chronic injury and Decorin appears to be first step in this direction.

Clinical Trials for Decorin

The good news is there is a clinical trial group at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center ready to submit for and conduct a clinical trial. This is great news. I had the privilege of meeting with Dr. Kevin Lillehei (pronounced: lilly-hay), the Chair in Neurosurgery at the University of Denver. Dr. Lillehei has previously submitted, conducted, and directed a clinical trial. He is actually waiting on Davies at this juncture. Dr. Lillehei is very enthusiastic, eager to translate Davies work to humans, and was a pleasure to speak with.

When?

Davies indicated about 2 years from now for Decorin. Dr. Lillehei wants to begin in one year. Davies indicated under “ideal circumstances”, one year is possible, but my impression is not likely. Why? It takes time to publish the results and it also takes (according to Dr. Lillehei) about 4-6 months from the FDA submission date to actually begin the trial. It is possible Davies could have the lab results for Decorin and the research paper published by December 2008, followed by FDA IND submission, putting a Decorin trial around the middle of 2009. This is speculation on my part, however.

I will post my report in sections, this being the first. There is much to review and potentially discuss. I suggest most questions be forwarded to Davies e-mail address: stephen.davies@uchsc.edu

Current Therpaies, Should I Wait?

The next report section will provide research derived reasons providing compelling data on why you should wait on any current cell based transplantation therapies.
      Hi Schmekky
      Do u still think there will be a clinical trial for Decorin around the middle of 2009. If u know anything more, it will be very kind, if u share it with us.
      Friendly regards.

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry to be posting this in the Dr.Davies thread, but for some reason whenever I tried to start a new thread I was always asked for my password, despite the fact that I was logged in, and just kept on bringing me back to the same page asking me for my password again! Feel free to move this to a new thread as I wasn't able to start a new one because of the above reason. I just wanted to write a little about the research group StepAhead in Australia. I made contact with these people when I was in rehab through others that were also there with me. The group was formerly known as The Spinal Cord Society of Australia (Many may thing negatively of this but this group in Australia has always had a seperate reseacrh program to the US). The group was formed by Dr.George Owen, an orthopeadic surgeon and his wife after their son suffered a cervical injury at the age of 14. The groups main focus is on chronics. A few years ago they studied bone marrow cells taken from patients in acute and chronic rats, which roughly obtained good results in both groups, although the acute groups recovery was more spontaneous than the chronic group from the beginning. They now have two research programs happening which are one being combining human bone marrow cells with decorin in chronic injuries, and the other being a spinal matrix that shall act as a scaffold to bridge the injury and allow axons to grow accross. Both of these projects have been going for about two years now and shall be completed some time next year. I'm not to sure of the results right now but have been told that things look promising. The group has set up a lab at St.Vincents hospital with the view of making it a translational lab for research to get into trials quicker. According to their website, they are aiming for chronic trials next year using the combination of the above factors. They have also added Dr.John Macdonald to their team so shall most likely be using his type of rehab programs after transplantations and such in trials. All in all I feel that this is the most promising group in Australia that can bring about a therapy the quickest in this country. Funding is again the main issue here with getting the trials going at the point in time in which they would like next year. I'm sorry for the brief summary, I was hoping to have more information, but even if I did have more I don't think that I could post it at this point in time. If anyone would like to know more about this group you can look them up on their website which is www.stepahead.org.au, or you could ask some questions on here and I could answer them if I have the answers, or if not I shall try to find them out.

Comment

Originally posted by zokarkan View Post
          Hi all,

Sorry to be posting this in the Dr.Davies thread, but for some reason whenever I tried to start a new thread I was always asked for my password, despite the fact that I was logged in, and just kept on bringing me back to the same page asking me for my password again! Feel free to move this to a new thread as I wasn't able to start a new one because of the above reason. I just wanted to write a little about the research group StepAhead in Australia. I made contact with these people when I was in rehab through others that were also there with me. The group was formerly known as The Spinal Cord Society of Australia (Many may thing negatively of this but this group in Australia has always had a seperate reseacrh program to the US). The group was formed by Dr.George Owen, an orthopeadic surgeon and his wife after their son suffered a cervical injury at the age of 14. The groups main focus is on chronics. A few years ago they studied bone marrow cells taken from patients in acute and chronic rats, which roughly obtained good results in both groups, although the acute groups recovery was more spontaneous than the chronic group from the beginning. They now have two research programs happening which are one being combining human bone marrow cells with decorin in chronic injuries, and the other being a spinal matrix that shall act as a scaffold to bridge the injury and allow axons to grow accross. Both of these projects have been going for about two years now and shall be completed some time next year. I'm not to sure of the results right now but have been told that things look promising. The group has set up a lab at St.Vincents hospital with the view of making it a translational lab for research to get into trials quicker. According to their website, they are aiming for chronic trials next year using the combination of the above factors. They have also added Dr.John Macdonald to their team so shall most likely be using his type of rehab programs after transplantations and such in trials. All in all I feel that this is the most promising group in Australia that can bring about a therapy the quickest in this country. Funding is again the main issue here with getting the trials going at the point in time in which they would like next year. I'm sorry for the brief summary, I was hoping to have more information, but even if I did have more I don't think that I could post it at this point in time. If anyone would like to know more about this group you can look them up on their website which is www.stepahead.org.au, or you could ask some questions on here and I could answer them if I have the answers, or if not I shall try to find them out.
          hi Zokarkan
          thank u very much for this information. I had found this link about thiere reaserch (http://stepahead.org.au/partnerships.htm) but it was not clear for me wether it was an animal model or an trial. Any case its nice to read that the results are promising. I have good expectation from this team because I think there is less bureaucratic rules in Australia then in the US.

Comment

alipur,

I suggest you send an e-mail to Dr. Davies. I do not maintain contact with Davies and my visit and report was a one time event. Many others have visited his lab since my visit and some have posted on CC.

Zokarkan,

I appreciate the informaiton on the SCS. The good news is clinica trials seem to be emerging worldwide. Sooner or later, something will provide some recovery, not a cure, but recovery. This is probably the best we will ever be able to hope for.

Comment

I spoke with Dr. Davies a few weeks ago and it sounds like his chronic studies are progressing very well. He will be presenting at the Working 2 Walk 2009 conference in Chicago in August. He will be joining a group of great researchers, including Drs. Wise Young, Michael Fehlings, Doug Kerr, John McDonald, Steve Hinderer and a number of others to discuss the latest in paralysis regenerative and rehabilitative research and clinic trial processes and protocols. It was hoped StepAhead Australia would be joining us, but, unfortunately, W2W is too close to their own event for it to happen.

Here is a link to information on the event:

www.working2walk.org

Please plan on joining us if you can:

August 27-29, 2009 at the Hyatt Lodge at Hamburger U, McDonald's campus in Oak Brook, IL, 25 minutes from downtown Chicago.

Susan
              Last edited by Susan M; 3 May 2009, 8:41 PM.
              Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

Dr. Fehlings was my surgeon. And besides being a gifted surgeon he is very likable. A genuinely nice guy. Looks very interesting.
                ______
                Awe at my magnificent coq!

"You may say I'm a dreamer
                but I'm not" - J. Lennon

Comment

alipur,

I suggest you send an e-mail to Dr. Davies. I do not maintain contact with Davies and my visit and report was a one time event. Many others have visited his lab since my visit and some have posted on CC.

Zokarkan,

I appreciate the informaiton on the SCS. The good news is clinica trials seem to be emerging worldwide. Sooner or later, something will provide some recovery, not a cure, but recovery. This is probably the best we will ever be able to hope for.
                  But a little recovery here and a little recovery there... Who knows what we can end up with? @Schmegul I'm 33 and only been injured 2 years - I'm very grateful for the years I had as AB but:
                  'ever be able to hope for'? - I guess my point is- I hope to live 40 years more and in my lifetime, see neurology move a great deal forward, lets hope right?
                  Viking hugs to the great Schmeky.
                  "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
                  Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan M View Post
                    I spoke with Dr. Davies a few weeks ago and it sounds like his chronic studies are progressing very well. He will be presenting at the Working 2 Walk 2009 conference in Chicago in August. He will be joining a group of great researchers, including Drs. Wise Young, Michael Fehlings, Doug Kerr, John McDonald, Steve Hinderer and a number of others to discuss the latest in paralysis regenerative and rehabilitative research and clinic trial processes and protocols. It was hoped StepAhead Australia would be joining us, but, unfortunately, W2W is too close to their own event for it to happen.

Here is a link to information on the event:

www.working2walk.org

Please plan on joining us if you can:

August 27-29, 2009 at the Hyatt Lodge at Hamburger U, McDonald's campus in Oak Brook, IL, 25 minutes from downtown Chicago.

Susan
                    Hi Susan
                    Thank u for this information, but what u mean with progressing very well?
                    I'm busy with fundrising for Dr. Davies and everyone ask me about his results. Please tell us more if u can.
                    Thank u.

Comment

Originally posted by alipur View Post
                      Hi Susan
                      Thank u for this information, but what u mean with progressing very well?
                      I'm busy with fundrising for Dr. Davies and everyone ask me about his results. Please tell us more if u can.
                      Thank u.
                      All I can say at this time is the results of the chronic studies look very encouraging. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more in August--just a few short months away.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan
                        I spoke with Dr. Davies a few weeks ago and it sounds like his chronic studies are progressing very well. He will be presenting at the Working 2 Walk 2009 conference in Chicago in August.
                        Susan,

Before he can divulge results, he'll have to publish first, but I know you know this. Otherwise all he can do is hint at any results, i.e. "promising", "encouraging", etc.

Comment

Susan,

Before he can divulge results, he'll have to publish first, but I know you know this. Otherwise all he can do is hint at any results, i.e. "promising", "encouraging", etc.
                          Yes, you are correct. Otherwise, he could seriously jeapordize his work. He's hoping to publish by August.

Comment

Hi everyone, August is just around the corner. All of us who have spoke to or met with Dr Davies knows He's aiming for 100%. Keith visited Craig H last week to say hi to everyone, it went very well. He was told there is alot of interest lately from around the country about Dr Davies work. This is very good news! Lets all keep our heads up and look forward to August, bye for now - K004H
                            Brrraaapppp!

Comment

Originally posted by zokarkan View Post
                              Hi all,

hi zokarkan
                              I removed this to a new thread named stepAhead Australia.
                              hope u agree.
                              regards

Comment

Originally posted by Susan
                                He's hoping to publish by August.
                                Susan,

Are referring to chronic results and is this something he has informed you of?

Comment

Working...
                                X