No announcement yet.

Stephen Davies Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on the objectives of Australian teams goals, they will be testing Decorin and hBMC's over the next 3 years in lab rats.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky View Post
      Based on the objectives of Australian teams goals, they will be testing Decorin and hBMC's over the next 3 years in lab rats.
      Why are labs working on things that might not have anything to do with a sci cure? Why are labs working on creating PhD’s that has noting to do as for a cure in their grant funding lab programs? Why do they not collaborate to speed cure research? Why does not lab’s take the SCI situations seriously? Why not? Lab rats could do better. It’s a loosing game like sci research now is “carried” out.

Comment

Hi again everyone...
        Leif...I totally agree with your frustration...it seems the ONLY lab in the United States ACTIVELY working on helping all of us, or who has true promise is Dr Davies...That is why I feel it IS so important to donate...
        How can all this government funding be out there for other illnesses, and spinal cord injuries be so overlooked?
        Schmeky, you are a true encyclopedia of knowledge ... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by CareCureGirl View Post
          it seems the ONLY lab in the United States ACTIVELY working on helping all of us, or who has true promise is Dr Davies...
          I respect and appreciate Dr. Davies work. I believe it's as
          promising as you say, but that's not the case, regardless
          of how it seems to you. Keirstead and Wise are both working
          toward chronic therapies and their research needs just as much
          support.

Wise is planning clinical trials next summer for chronic sci. You
          should also read through Kate's blog from the 'Meet the Scientist
          Forum' about Keirstead's and others research.

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...ight=Keirstead

Here is a quote from another member who attended the forum:

Originally posted by JenJen
          Sat with Os and Hans (Keirstead) for a long time last evening. "Our work is focused on chronic injury."
          https://www.carecure.net/forum/showp...1&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
            Why are labs working on things that might not have anything to do with a sci cure? Why are labs working on creating PhD’s that has noting to do as for a cure in their grant funding lab programs? Why do they not collaborate to speed cure research? Why does not lab’s take the SCI situations seriously? Why not? Lab rats could do better. It’s a loosing game like sci research now is “carried” out.
            Leif,

You sound a lot like me. I have gotten weary of trying to make sense of it all. I have the greatest respect for Davies and any researcher trying to improve our condition.

During my last visit to Davies, I asked when are the successful results of your published paper detailing the acute recovery in 26 out of 26 rats, is going to trials? He said plans were in the making to accomplish this. I am going off memory, but I think this paper was published in 2006.

I believe Davies is genuine, we're almost at 2010, and I have to assume he is still planning a clinical trial that, according to his paper, will return near "normal" walking ability, at least in acutely injured rats.

The fact of the matter is, this is a very slow moving field from the perspective of those in wheelchairs. The progress of research to clinical trials is normal and typical in the opinion of the researchers.

Comment

Leif,

You sound a lot like me. I have gotten weary of trying to make sense of it all. I have the greatest respect for Davies and any researcher trying to improve our condition.

During my last visit to Davies, I asked when are the successful results of your published paper detailing the acute recovery in 26 out of 26 rats, is going to trials? He said plans were in the making to accomplish this. I am going off memory, but I think this paper was published in 2006.

I believe Davies is genuine, we're almost at 2010, and I have to assume he is still planning a clinical trial that, according to his paper, will return near "normal" walking ability, at least in acutely injured rats.

The fact of the matter is, this is a very slow moving field from the perspective of those in wheelchairs. The progress of research to clinical trials is normal and typical in the opinion of the researchers.
              The fact of the matter is this, very few researchers have the ability or resources to move their work beyond the lab, into translational research and ultimately to clinical trials and a therapy that anyone can obtain. We as a community should put our donation money to those few that can move it beyond the lab and to those working on Chronic cures.

Comment

Absolutely!

Money is probably the best thing we can do.

I wish Care Cure would give an annual award to the most promising researcher each year.
                A fund that the community contributes money to through out the year to aid the researcher's work and to help get them to trials as soon as possible.

I suggested this 2 years ago on this forum and was kind of shocked by how few responded.
                I don't expect anyone to be responsible for my cure, especially if I'm not doing anything to make it happen.

Money is the key

Originally posted by rjames View Post
                The fact of the matter is this, very few researchers have the ability or resources to move their work beyond the lab, into translational research and ultimately to clinical trials and a therapy that anyone can obtain. We as a community should put our donation money to those few that can move it beyond the lab and to those working on Chronic cures.

Comment

nnnnnn

Comment

Hi Schmeky and all,

So far roughly 2 out of the 3 years needed has been done for this study. The group also did work with bone marrow cells alone on both chronic and acute injured rats and practically had the same recovery rate for both, although the chronic rats took a while longer to get to the same BBB scores as the acute rats. From what I know, the group shall be looking at combining bone marrow cells, decorin, and a spinal matrix that they are producing at the moment in the trials that they shall be evntually conducting. They were apparently hoping to start trials as early as mid 2010, but funding shall be the key here. They also recently didn't receive funding from the TAC initiative that was set up here in Victoria, whicj was going to fund the start of their trials. You can read a little about that here: http://stepahead.org.au/pdfs/VNI-fou...onse_Feb09.pdf. I was actually going to write up a review on them and their work and post it on here soon, as I got the go ahead from someone that was working with them, but just two weeks ago they told me that they no longer work for them so am going to have to see if others shall allow me to post information on here. In a previous post of mine I also mentioned that a group down here in Australia was going to look into Geeta Shroffs procedure to independently monitor patients and give people like us access to reviewed information on what she is doing, well that was this group, but I don't knoiw what ended up happening with that. I think that this may also be a group to look out for in terms of chronic research.

Comment

Zokarkan,

Hey man, thanx for the info. One thing I have learned, when you post, I listen!! Great news on the 2 years of progress already achieved. Sounds like there is a good plan in place to effect some recovery. Good news on the chronic results as well.

It would be great if you could do some type of report on this research. It doesn't matter how you format it, spell it, or structure it, the CC Community is after research news. What degree of recovery was observed in the lab animals?

Comment

Zokarkan,

Hey man, thanx for the info. One thing I have learned, when you post, I listen!! Great news on the 2 years of progress already achieved. Sounds like there is a good plan in place to effect some recovery. Good news on the chronic results as well.

It would be great if you could do some type of report on this research. It doesn't matter how you format it, spell it, or structure it, the CC Community is after research news. What degree of recovery was observed in the lab animals?
                        Yes, this group has been doing some good work, although I feel that they have been a silent player up to now. I actually emailed someone just before from the organisation to see if they would allow me to write up something so shall see what happens. Unfortunately, the guy that gave me the go ahead to do such a thing stopped working with them about 2 weeks ago, I asked to do this about 2 weeks prior to that, so have to get permission again. Until then I won't post too much more as I'm not sure as to what I can and can't post. One thing that I can definately say though is that they are setting up a translational center at St.Vincents Hospital in Melbourne, with the hopes of putting promising work straight into trials, and mind you, they are only focusing on chroinics!

Comment

Zokarkan,

Hey man, thanx for the info. One thing I have learned, when you post, I listen!!
                          I also do likewise when you post aswell.

Comment

Information removed at request of member.
                            Last edited by Duran; 7 Apr 2009, 6:28 AM.

Comment

Dear Group,
                              I STILL believe Dr. Davies research is promising and I will continue to donate, as I am sure many of you are.
                              Mr. Nastier......I had not heard of Dr. Young's research. Thank you for enlightening me.

Dr. Davies, Dr. Young, and the Australian lab.....Are these the only really promising researchers so far?

Comment

Originally posted by CareCureGirl View Post
                                Dear Group,
                                I STILL believe Dr. Davies research is promising and I will continue to donate, as I am sure many of you are.
                                Mr. Nastier......I had not heard of Dr. Young's research. Thank you for enlightening me.

Dr. Davies, Dr. Young, and the Australian lab.....Are these the only really promising researchers so far?
                                Hi, CC girl,
                                What is the reaserch of Australian lab ??
                                thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X