No announcement yet.

Stephen Davies Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are not US resident you need to contact Processing@cufund.org and they will tell you how to do it.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Is "no news, good news" here? I would like an update either way.

Comment

Has Dr. Davies ever conducted a rat study involving a contusion to the spinal cord? Most of the studies I've seen by him use trans section of the spinal cord.

Comment

Don D. 73,

When I visited his lab few years ago he indicted to me the partial transection was worse than a contusion. I think he transects a portion of the cord, so to the best of my knowledge, a section of cord is left intact.

Comment

David,
            I asked Wise's opinion of Dr. Davies work last weekend in Austin. His only comment to me focused on the lack of data associated with contusion to the spinal cord, strongly implying transection to be less relevant in his opinion.

Comment

the reason he uses transection is to create more scar tissue. he is focusing on it for chronics.
              Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                Just wanted to know :
                Has anyone heard from Dr. Davies ?...... Does anyone have any idea what the time frame for trials is?
                Thanks

Comment

CareCureGirl,

Welcome to the site. During my last visit with Davies he indicated he was planning for trials for acutes to begin within the next 5 years. My visit was nearly 2 years ago, so if everything is still on track, he could begin in 2012 or 2013.

No one knows on chronics yet.

Comment

Thank you for responding Schmeky,
                    I was hoping, as I know we all are, that with good news the time frame would be sooner. But, I guess it is still good news that studies indicate a future trial.

Hopefully, Dr. Davies will give us an update soon. I am sure he is very, very busy.

Comment

Wellcome Care Cure Girl

We spoke with Dr. Davies at the Given Institute on Jan. 28 this year, he was very up beat and positive about how thier cronic tests and results were coming along! He can't say much more until the results are finished and published. Lets all hope and pray it will be soon. lets also try and keep the donations flowing, we are very close to seeing it happen! K004H
                      Brrraaapppp!

Comment

Information removed at request of member.
                        Last edited by Duran; 25 Mar 2009, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome KOO4H.....I agree!!! Let's ALL keep the donations flowing...I have been giving all I can every month or every other month...This is the most important investment I feel we can make in our future and everyone else's too!!!

Comment

Dreaming of the day

Our tests are going very well! I don't think he would say that if it were not true. CareCureGirl, your posts are stuck on #3, mine are stuck on #10. I'm not a computer wiz, still type with two fingers. Can any one help? After almost a year now, Keith has not adjusted very well, still won't come on C. C. C., he thinks he knows it all. Hopefully he will wake up soon. Lets keep ou
                            r heads up - K004H

Never mind, I get it now!
                            Last edited by K004H; 26 Mar 2009, 11:39 AM.
                            Brrraaapppp!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Davies View Post
                              Hi Everyone,
                              Just a quick post as we are in the middle of a big research push at the moment (and for the next few weeks) that is focused on chronic SCI experiments. The experiments are highly labor intensive which means I am also be in the lab conducting surgeries and analyzing data. I assume you would all rather I was working in the lab than spending time on CC anyway. The chronic SCI experiments we are currently conducting are in large part made possible by donations from CC.

Please note that designing experiments to test the ability of any therapy (such as decorin and GDAs in our case) to promote recovery in chronically injured rat spinal cord is not just a straight forward extension of the techniques used for acute SCI experiments. If anybody tells you this they are blowing smoke... We have had to overcome many technical difficulties in firstly generating sets of SCI rats that maintain matched functional deficits out to chronic time points (up to and beyond 6 months). This is one of the reasons there are so few reports of chronic SCI experiments let alone ones that can generate convincing data for functional recovery. Concurrent with these efforts we have also had to devize new, effective means of administering molecules and cells to the chronically injured cord in rats (the far larger size of the human cord will actually make it far, far easier to administer drugs / cells to human chronic SCIs). What I am prepared to say at this point is that so far our experimnents are going very well.

As leaked by Chris Chappell (I am of course v.pleased he is so enthusiastic about our reseearch), there are also plans afoot to put together the infrastructure for conducting SCI clinical trials here in the US in future. More on this much later when plans are more concrete.

As already mentioned I am giving a public lecture at the Given Institute in Aspen on the 28th January. Everyone is welcome and I look forward to meeting those members of CC that are able to attend the lecture.

Stephen.
                              Dear Dr. Davies
                              I'm very happy vand very gratefull that you give answer to our quesions. Thank you.
                              I have read about this Australian trial with decorin (http://stepahead.org.au/partnerships.htm), an I would like to ask if you know anything about that. When can we expect the first results?
                              Friendly regards.
                              Alipur

Comment

Originally posted by quadfather View Post
                                Dr. Davies when do you expect to be able to share the results of your experiments on chronic injuries? Are any other labs doing similar experiments on chronics concurrently for purposes of proving the results can be replicated?
                                Hi quadfather
                                I saw this trial on internet.
                                http://stepahead.org.au/partnerships.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X