No announcement yet.

Stephen Davies Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Davies, I've been following your work and met you at the working2walk seminar in D.C. I know that you have been using decorin first on acute sci's and I'm wondering where you stand now on using decorin on chronic sci's. And I have aone more question on injuries. I've only been hurt for a year and 3 days and I still don't know whats the difference between having an acute injury and having a chronic injury. If anyone can tell me that I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by wysong417
      I've only been hurt for a year and 3 days and I still don't know whats the difference between having an acute injury and having a chronic injury. If anyone can tell me that I would greatly appreciate it.
      wysong, acute injuries are brand new -- less than 48 hours The next phase is called subacute, which lasts another couple of weeks. Anything after that is chronic.

Those time frames might not be exact, but they're close.

Comment

Thank you, I never knew what the definitions were but now I do.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
          Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been full on in the lab and then took a quick break visiting my Mum in the UK. Good news is I have a new SCI related Decorin publication in the journal Neurobiology of Disease which is now currently available online at:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nbd.2008.06.009 .

This paper basically shows that decorin can directly boost (by up to ~15x) the ability of adult neurons to grow axons (nerve fibers) in the presence of high levels of inhibitory molecules found in SCI scar tissue (CSPGs) and myelin (MAG, NOGO, OMgp). This is really great news for chronic SCI as our new data shows that in addition to altering the formation of scar tissue, i.e "lowering the hurdle" that axons must cross at sites iof injury, decorin can also effectively:
          1. render growing axons insensitive to remaining CSPGs at the injury site,
          2. render growing axons insensitive to myelin associated inhibitors in the white matter pathway beyond the injury (where axons must grow for long distances up and down the cord), and,
          3. allow axons to grow within the inhibitory CSPGs that are normally found within target gray matter where the axons must finally make connections in order to support recovery.

Thus decorin can act as a combination therapy in itself by supressing scar formation and boosting the ability of neurons to grow axons within spinal cord environments full of different types of inhibitors.

Before anyone asks yes chronic sci experiments to test the effects of decorin on regeneration and recovery are ongoing in the lab. Remember, to conduct chronic SCI experiments you have to first wait for the injured cord to be chronic enough i.e. post injury time points ranging from 6 months to a year. You also have to properly characterize what is happening in chronic SCI (which we are doing) so as to have a baseline with which to compare the effects of a treatment. In this way you can better understand the mechanism by which a treatment such as decorin is working. Understanding mechanism allows you to further improve how a treatment is best given for optimum results, particularly if you want to go to clinical trial.

Sox-9...Not the same as decorin at all. Knowing that a particular molecule may be involved in scar formation, and having a pharmaceutical grade molecule like decorin that you can infuse and that has multiple beneficial effects, are two entirely different concepts. Whether Sox-9 has an effect on decorin levels in the injured cord or vice versa is an interesting question we may look at.

Okay back to the lab.

Stephen.

Comment

Great News

Thankyou Dr. Davies for your continued work, the fantastic news in this latest publication can only prove that you are moving towards a treatment that can lead to significant returns.

As with all publications I can only assume that this published material is lagging behind (please correct me if I am wrong) what is happening in the lab at this very moment, which only makes me and I'm sure everybody else very excited.

Once again thank you for all your efforts and may the successes keep on coming!

BR

Comment

Great news and thank you for your hard work.One day sci must be history..,,

Comment

This sounds like great news! Thanks so much for your ongoing efforts Dr. Davies.
                "There's too many things to get done, and I'm running out of days" 3 Doors Down

Comment

Originally posted by adi chicago
                  Great news and thank you for your hard work.One day sci must be history..,,
                  I agree. If sci is history.. iam the happiest person in the world!
                  We have to be patient, but that's not easy.

Thanks S. Davies

Comment

Researchers researching...brilliant!

It's nice to see researchers researching and reporting to the community their results. This one post is so much better than 100 about everything else but coming up with effective therapies. What's wrong with funding, what's wrong with the sci community, what's wrong with the current administration, what's wrong with stem cell funding...blah, blah, blah... this research is what really matters. Thanks so much Stefen for your hard work in the lab to collect and continuing to gather covincing evidence that will lead to justifying future sci trials.
                    Clay

Comment

Dr. Davies is definitely kickin ass and takin names on our behalf. What needs to happen now that a proven secondary drug has been verified, is to add this to the existing cell platforms, in combination treatment trials. I don't mean 25,00 pages and 3 years of additional delays either.

Originally posted by Stephen Davies

Okay back to the lab.

Stephen.
                      That's the kind of fighting spirit I'm talking about.

Thanks Dr. Davies

Comment

Many many thanks Dr Davies!!

Paolo
                        In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Testimony from our expert members in the field is always great; Wise spoils us. I wish all of the researchers of SCI research notoriety would update on here from time to time.

These Decorin studies definately suggest it will be a major part of an effective therapy, moreso than previously. Thanks Dr., for the work and, most of all, the passion.

f
                          ight

Comment

Does someone have a full copy of Dr. Davies' published study? The link just goes to the abstract.

Comment

Dr Davies - thank you so much, you are a ray of light in the cure research tunnel.

Remember everyone - you can contribute to his research by donating:
                              Go to:

http://www.cufund.org/giveonline/other.php

In the Description box, enter: Neuro-Repair Surgery Fund, account
                              # 0222071, then enter the amount of your gift, and follow the
                              instructions to completion.

Every dollar helps keep the research going.

Comment

This is for suppression in the acute phase of injury. Hopefully we'll have some news on if Decorin will degrade the chronic lesion site and give similiar results for chronics.

Comment

Working...
                                X