a cure ?when and by who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
    Can anyone define CURE? When you think CURE, what is your expectation?
    The pharmaceutical industry is the biggest profit making sector after energy (oil). It promotes use of chemicals to solve dis-ease issues and proliferate that paradiagm. We injured people are a 'given' customer.

I believe a solution will come from non-intrusive energy directed medicine (laser, electromagnetic, radionics). eg:The Hutchinson effect can dissolve/bend metal. Wow! What a serious weapon that could be to destroy towers. The same technology could do the same to the Glial scar, then with myelin regeneration (stem cells, biotin, gonadtropin) and growth factors applied to proliferate axons regrowth and reconnection to get use back to pre-injury state.

Gary Wade makes mention of such ideas here.
    Last edited by Pauly1; 24 Mar 2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Dr. Becker's Electro-stim proposal - did anyone ever test this on animal model?
      www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
      to what we know about nature
      Saint Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
        No doubt the original poster of this thread was told the cure will happen in 5 years. Isn't that we've all been told???? I am 35 years post injury and....yeh every 5 years, you'd get that pablum spouted by someone.

Maybe modern medicine is closer to a cure... but what the heck does cure mean? When you think CURE, do you think with some incredible medical intervention, you will just get up out of you wheelchair and walk and function again, just like you did before you were injured. Not going to happen. Personally, I think that kind of cure is long beyond any one of us who are living today with a spinal cord injury. CURE means, when someone sustains a major incident that injures the spinal cord, in the future, there will be a medical intervention that will prevent major paralysis on the spot. Otherwise, any of us living with a previously sustained spinal cord injury are screwed.

Can anyone define CURE? When you think CURE, what is your expectation?
        I'd wager a widely-accepted protocol for acute injuries will be available in ten years and will mitigate, not cure, such injuries. As far as chronics I'd say man-machine interface "fixes" will come long before any cord-regeneration technology. By that I mean exoskeletons that are nimble enough to wear in a car, walk without canes and with some sort of brain interface. Just trying to be realistic but optimistic I'm way off and something pans out sooner.
        T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Adi was a proud misogynist from Romania. He gave me such a difficult time when I moderated. So annoying!!! Wouldn't wish death on my worst enemy though.

He was injured in the States and promptly shipped back home to Romania to a situation he had little control over. He had bladder infection after bladder infection that got worse and worse. He developed more than one wound that went down to the bone on his buttocks and hip. A few of us used to keep in touch on FB with him but no one has heard from him in at least six years.

His mother and sister looked after him, but I saw pictures of those wounds. There was no way he survived. Plus, he was fighting to keep his house.
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I have not logged onto this site in years. It is ironic I find this old cure thread still active. I find it sad that anyone could think a cure is possible once you study the CNS. Taking care of yourself is the best we'll ever have.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky View Post
              I have not logged onto this site in years. It is ironic I find this old cure thread still active. I find it sad that anyone could think a cure is possible once you study the CNS. Taking care of yourself is the best we'll ever have.
              Yeah haven't seen you in quite some time ...so is that to say that you're not planning to take advantage of Scinetusa when the time comes or e-stim ? Your thoughts ?
              "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
              Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

The newly injured and younger ones still have hope.
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

This thread and other similar old threads are scary and depressing, to see what the injured people were thinking about the cure/treatment... Ten years later and no major difference... I'd say the majority were hoping that by 2017 there wouldn't only be a treatment, but a proper regeneration therapy. Will ten years from now be the same? :/
                  At least the stims have made a big progress and hopefully they'll be available in not too many years from now )

Comment

Originally posted by Silvio GS View Post
                    This thread and other similar old threads are scary and depressing, to see what the injured people were thinking about the cure/treatment... Ten years later and no major difference... I'd say the majority were hoping that by 2017 there wouldn't only be a treatment, but a proper regeneration therapy. Will ten years from now be the same? :/
                    At least the stims have made a big progress and hopefully they'll be available in not too many years from now )

Wise's therapy returned walking, bowel, and bladder to chronic completes, no major difference?

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search...ize=10&index=7

Comment

Assisted waking isn't a cure and I'd argue almost anyone doing the intensive gait training would improve. By bladder and bowel, you mean the ability to self-manage your own bladder and bowel program, not that you won't need to cath or use digital stimulation to relieve yourself.
                      T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
                        Assisted waking isn't a cure and I'd argue almost anyone doing the intensive gait training would improve. By bladder and bowel, you mean the ability to self-manage your own bladder and bowel program, not that you won't need to cath or use digital stimulation to relieve yourself.
                        Dr. Young stated in one of his video presentations that 55% no longer needed to use a catheter. Not self-manage, but no longer needed.

Comment

Yep. In a couple weeks I will have officially missed all of my 40s. Not big on celebrating birthdays but it's a little more difficult to look at my woodworking tools this year. We have watched a few heroes come and go; Dr. Lima, Dr. Kessler, Dr. Keirstead, Dr. Davies, to name a few. More than likely 5 or so years from now we will add Dr. Dietrich and Dr. Silver to the list. They come enthusiastic believing they have the answer, new threads get created by members that don't want to wait for trials and are upset that they can't just pay to have the procedure or volunteer to be the one and only guinea pig. Then there's silence, completely quiet, until the next Dr. comes along and the cycle begins again. No ones fault, we are a desperate group, they want desperately to help us; but, it is one of the human body's last best kept secrets .. . . . probably will be for a long time (or at least 5 more years :-) )
                          please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Comment

53 yrs old on a scooter, lots of etc, due to 22 yrs of progressive MS. Some combo of regeneration, remylination, smooth efficient robotics will easily be here within ten, hopefully five yrs. I've never thought so before. You're holding in your hand as much computing power as filled a warehouse in the fairly recent past. Stuffs gonna fall like dominoes. Friggin trump, tho, I'd be mighty pissed to have to get in line behind the Chinese, but I really do think it's finally possible.

Comment

Originally posted by tumbleweeds View Post
                              Dr. Young stated in one of his video presentations that 55% no longer needed to use a catheter. Not self-manage, but no longer needed.
                              What does that mean in practical terms though. You don't need to use a catheter, but how do you get it into the toilet from your chair?
                              So you need to use a catheter or you make a mess.

It would be good if there were details about what these statements about bladder, bowel recovery actually mean in real terms.
                              Do you have sensation to know when you have to go?
                              Can you control going?
                              Can you hold on when you need to go so you can get to the bathroom?

All of these studies talk in general terms, but we want to know the practical details to see if it would make a difference to our lives.

Comment

Man you guys seriously need to stop being so negative! Lot's of research being done at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X