X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conference Paper

#25 Obstacles to Overcome in the Quest to Cure Spinal Cord Injury

Wise Young, MD

Recent research indicate that three major obstacles block regeneration in the spinal cord. The first is the injury site itself which is frequently filled with cysts and extracellular matrix proteins that are inhospitable to axonal growth. One approach to this problem is transplantation of cells that bridge the injury site. The second is the long period of growth factor support required. Regenerating axons grow no faster than hair and therefore take years to reach their destination. Thus, continuous growth support is required. The third obstacle is the presence of axon growth inhibitors in the spinal cord. These include Nogo, a myelin-based protein, that stop axons. While therapies have now been developed for each of these obstacles, combination of therapies will be required to induce “rivers” of axons to flow across the injury site and all the way to their original targets. Such combination therapies are difficult to test in animals and are even more difficult to test in clinical trial. Large numbers of subjects are required. There is paucity of immune-compatible sources of stem cells for transplantation. While many cells have stem cell like characteristics, few are immune-compatible and available for clinical use. Approaches to solving these problems will be described.

Funding Source: Acorda Therapeutics

source
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Foolish,

Count me in, looking forward to meeting you and all FL CC members. Can't wait to hear Wise speak too. We will be driving in for the afternoon and home that evening.

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Princess "Leia"
        Foolish,

Count me in, looking forward to meeting you and all FL CC members. Can't wait to hear Wise speak too. We will be driving in for the afternoon and home that evening.

Pam
        Looking forward to meeting you, MikeC, XYNaPSE, lunasicc42, hopefully; doingtime, hp, Broknwing, and, of course, Patricia and Dr. Young.

Note that the Consumer Expo is FREE, so plan to come early if possible.

Who else reading this will be there?
        Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I will be there with my wife and daughter. Looking forward to finally meeting some of you.

Comment

Check out this thread I started in the Life forum. It is related to this topic:

/forum/showthread.php?t=86908
            Dave H

Comment

'OPEN HOUSE' in Florida: UPDATE

Hey Everyone,

Here is the latest information:

We will gather in the Sarasota Room at 5:30. Wise will give a brief update - no slides - and then we will have lots of time for questions. Since it is supper time, there will be food. Don't want anyone passing out!

There are two conferences going on that day at the Gaylord Resort - one for consumers (free) and one for the AASCIPSW (expensive). To see the schedule for the consumer's portion and register for free admission, go to unitedspinal.org and click on NASCICDE.

Wise will be speaking at 3:30 at the AASCIPSW conference. We are looking into whether people who haven't paid the registration can go in just for that talk - don't know at this point.

If you would like to come and haven't yet let us know, please drop a note with your (real) name and the number coming to SCIProject@biology.rutgers.edu. Subject Line: Florida 'Open House'.

See you there!

Hold on to Hope,

Patricia

Comment

Patricia, thanks for coordinating all of this. Do you know what time we can arrive at the Sarasota room? I was thinking if we can't get in to see Dr Young's presentation maybe we could meet in the Sarasota room early and get to know each other until 5:30. I plan on arriving around 3.

Thanks,
                Mike
                T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC
                  Patricia, thanks for coordinating all of this. Do you know what time we can arrive at the Sarasota room? I was thinking if we can't get in to see Dr Young's presentation maybe we could meet in the Sarasota room early and get to know each other until 5:30. I plan on arriving around 3.

Thanks,
                  Mike
                  Hello Mike,

I'd be intersted in meeting earlier as well ( if the presentation falls through) If the Sarasota room in unavailable maybe we can all meet elsewhere, say a lounge or lobby. Count me in Mike for 3:00. Anyone else interested?

Pam

Comment

Pam, guess we'll decide after Patricia lets us know when the room will be available. Still hoping we can sit in on Dr Young's talk.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Patricia
                      Hey Everyone,

Here is the latest information:

We will gather in the Sarasota Room at 5:30. Wise will give a brief update - no slides - and then we will have lots of time for questions. Since it is supper time, there will be food. Don't want anyone passing out!

There are two conferences going on that day at the Gaylord Resort - one for consumers (free) and one for the AASCIPSW (expensive). To see the schedule for the consumer's portion and register for free admission, go to unitedspinal.org and click on NASCICDE.

Wise will be speaking at 3:30 at the AASCIPSW conference. We are looking into whether people who haven't paid the registration can go in just for that talk - don't know at this point.

If you would like to come and haven't yet let us know, please drop a note with your (real) name and the number coming to SCIProject@biology.rutgers.edu. Subject Line: Florida 'Open House'.

See you there!

Hold on to Hope,

Patricia
                      Patricia,

Any word yet if we have to pay just for the talk? Am plannin to arrive about 3ish to go to the Expo. Will swing by the AASCIPSW conference first to check it out. I may try to smooth talk my way in... Can't hurt to try!

Do ya'll need me to bring anything?
                      Pam

Comment

Arrived at the Gaylord Palms this afternoon. Expo is pretty cool. TiLite, Invacare, Project Walk, Bard, Hollister, Roho, many others have booths.

Hotel & Convention Center are nice.

See y'all tomorrow?
                        Foolish

Comment

Well, just about to check out here at the Gaylord Palms. We had a nice little gathering last night. When I get home I'll try to put up a picture or two.

We got to hear Dr. Youngs's Keynote Address to the convention. The boy done us proud and spoke with passion when countering a questioner who posed that chronic cure research may be a waste of resources. Anybody who doubts his commitment to cure either hasn't met him or doesn't process information well. I've made a living looking people in the eye and assessing any disparity between what's in their heart and what comes out of their mouth. He's real.
                          Foolish

Comment

It was great to meet a you Foolish, Mike C, Doingtimeonmyass, Flyguy and your families too. We had very pleasant evening together and should do it more often.

Doctor Young's keynote address, made to a very large, SRO crowd was fabulous. He fielded questions for almost an hour after he spoke and did not loose a beat.

His informal meeting with us, was even better. No question ever goes unanswered by Wise and his explanations are always made easy to digest by the regular folk. I was pleasantly surprised at my own subject matter knowledge I have gained from CCC alone, through Dr Young and CC members too.

Thank-you Patricia for coordinating the meeting. Your tireless efforts are obvious in all you do. And of course thank-you Dr Young for your passion and life long devotion to your job as "doctor/researcher/scientist.

Pam

Comment

I would also like to thank Patricia and Dr Young for arranging and hosting this get together. It was great to hear Dr Young talk about the hope for a cure and you can actually see and feel his passion when he talks about the groundswell of scientific efforts that hopefully will lead to a cure.

It was also great to meet my fellow Floridians. Looking forward to seeing the pictures from the foolish one.

Mike

Comment

Just got home. I'm a little tired, but wouldn't have missed it for the world! It was a pleasure to meet some of my Care Cure family and to learn that you are even more awesome than I had hoped.

From left, Janet & "FlyGuy"; Patricia; Roy and "Princess Leia"; "Mike C" & (off camera) Cathy; "Doingtimeonmyass" & Dolly (beautiful daughter Allie is sleeping off camera); Patti, "HP" & Stan; Joyce & (off camera) Kattya; Wise.

Y'all rock!
                                Last edited by Foolish Old; 29 Aug 2007, 8:27 PM.
                                Foolish

Comment

Working...
                                X