Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First stem cell drug approved for any indication

Just so we have a basis of comparison:

PROCHYMAL is currently being evaluated for the treatment of GVHD and Crohn's Disease. The Phase III trial for GVHD is anticipated to be the final trial before the drug is submitted to FDA, Canadian and European regulatory agencies for full approval. PROCHYMAL has been granted Fast Track status by FDA. The Fast Track program was established by FDA to accelerate the development of drugs that show promise for treating life threatening conditions. The drug has also been granted Orphan Drug status by FDA. Orphan Drug designation provides incentives to companies that develop drugs for small, underserved patient populations.

Basic Eligibility Criteria
    Up to 240 patients will be enrolled in the ( Phase III )trial. Male and female patients are eligible and must be between the ages of 6 months and 60 years old. Patients must have steroid refractory Grade B-D acute GVHD.

If you have or know someone who has GVHD, or if you would like more information, please contact us at Prochymal@Osiris.com.

http://www.osiristx.com/clinical_trials_prochymal.php

Fast Track status and Orphan Drug Status allows for smaller trials:

We do not need a large clinical trial network!!!

The ChinaSCI net trial could start right now.

24 million is NOT needed, a smaller trial would suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Faye
      The ChinaSCI net trial could start right now.

24 million is NOT needed, a smaller trial would suffice.
      Faye, I don't understand what you are talking about.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
        Faye, I don't understand what you are talking about.

Wise.
        I'm with spider on there is no need to do 700 people in a clinical trial. If orphan drug status can be obtained, this is absolutely NOT necessary.

Osiris is actual proof stem cell therapies can be fast-tracked even in the US.

Geron and Neuralstem are not far behind for spinal cord injury trials right here in the US, without the need for a huge clinical trial network.

Comment

Prochymal is an ASC therapy. Osiris was able to perform three clinical trials testing the drug in 2006 (Source), because they had 16 centers who knew how to run the trials and evaluate the results (i.e., a clinical trial network) available to them. (Source)

Yep, clinical trial networks suck.
          ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Edwards
            Prochymal is an ASC therapy. Osiris was able to perform three clinical trials testing the drug in 2006 (Source), because they had 16 centers who knew how to run the trials and evaluate the results (i.e., a clinical trial network) available to them. (Source)
            Steven, Steven, ChinaSCINET is also ASC therapy!!

The Phase II trial is a randomized, prospective, open label trial, being conducted at 16 leading cancer centers in the US.
            You don't think we have 8-10 SCI centers or more?

You want me to start naming them?

Kessler,
            Shepherd,
            Craig and so on......

Comment

Steven, Steven, ChinaSCINET is also ASC therapy!!
              I was just adding that info for people who may have thought Prochymal was an ESC therapy. ChinaSCINet will be able to test ESC therapies when they become available.

You don't think we have 8-10 SCI centers or more?

You want me to start naming them?

Kessler,
              Shepherd,
              Craig and so on......
              Who are trained to use the same outcome measures, do therapy the same way, perform trials the same, prepare cells the same way? We have NACTN, but not 16 centers.

BTW, for the small phase II trial, it took 16 centers to test 32 patients. Without the 16 centers trained to do everything the same way, the small trial would have been impossible.

In order to receive fast-track status, Osiris had to first complete a two-year Phase I safety trial. (Source) This trial included 46 patients. (Source)

Most SCI trials will begin as Phase I/II studies, which will be necessary to receive fast-track status. A clinical trial network will help therapies receive fast-track status.
              ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

The size of the clinical trial network is not related to the size of any clinical trial. No matter the size of a clinical trial, a network will allow it to be completed faster.

We want a "large clinical trial network". The word "large" is referring to the size of the NETWORK, not the size of the TRIALS.

Perhaps we shall have to alter the phrasing. We need a "large network for clinical trials". That might be a little tougher to spin.
                Blog:
                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Who are trained to use the same outcome measures, do therapy the same way, perform trials the same, prepare cells the same way? We have NACTN, but not 16 centers.

BTW, for the small phase II trial, it took 16 centers to test 32 patients. Without the 16 centers trained to do everything the same way, the small trial would have been impossible.

In order to receive fast-track status, Osiris had to first complete a two-year Phase I safety trial. (Source) This trial included 46 patients. (Source)

Most SCI trials will begin as Phase I/II studies, which will be necessary to receive fast-track status. A clinical trial network will help therapies receive fast-track status.
                  Sure it may have taken 16 centers to do the Osiris trial......., but you've not proven to anyone that these were part of an official "clinical trial network".

For all we know Osiris worked up a protocol, contacted the 16 centers and proceded with the SMALL 32 patient phase II trial( 32 patients!), just like I assume Geron is going to handle theirs and Neuralstem theirs.

So what I contend is:

1. There is No need for a subsidized bureaucracy ie clinical trial network
                  and

2. There is No need for large trials as small ones can be completed fast and lead to ODA status even here in the US.
                  Last edited by Faye; 18 Feb 2007, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Sure it may have taken 16 centers to do the Osiris trial......., but you've not proven to anyone that these were part of an official "clinical trial network".
                    16 leading cancer centers, including MD Anderson in Houston, who is experienced in bone marrow transplants. (Source) While they did approach the centers, it's not a stretch to believe each center was experienced at running clinical trials. Or to believe the at least some of centers were involved in the Phase I studies, thus making the 16 centers a multi-year effort.

Can you tell me 10 centers in the US who have doctors experienced at injecting or transplanting cells into the human spinal cord?

1. There is No need for a subsidized bureaucracy ie clinical trial network
                    Let me ask you this: How would a clinical trial network hurt us? How would reducing a company's workload hurt us?

2. There is No need for large trials as small ones can be completed fast and lead to ODA status even here in the US.
                    Small ones in two years.

Comment

16 leading cancer centers, including MD Anderson in Houston, who is experienced in bone marrow transplants. (Source) While they did approach the centers, it's not a stretch to believe each center was experienced at running clinical trials. Or to believe the at least some of centers were involved in the Phase I studies, thus making the 16 centers a multi-year effort.

Can you tell me 10 centers in the US who have doctors experienced at injecting or transplanting cells into the human spinal cord?

Let me ask you this: How would a clinical trial network hurt us? How would reducing a company's workload hurt us?
                      Any neurosurgeon in the US who is interested can easily gain the experience of injecting or transplanting cells.

A large clinical trial network bureaucracy is a waste of time and money.

If something is out there that really warants a trial, it will happen as Osiris shows, and Geron and Neuralstem believes. They are not waiting for a clinical trial network.

Comment

Thank goodness they aren't waiting!

I suspect they would all agree that such an infrastructure will only enhance and hasten their efforts. That is what we hope, to make the path to a cure as quick and easy as possible for the researchers.

Building an infrastructure for networking facilities engaged in clinical trials has been the route chosen by a number of disease conditions.
                        Blog:
                        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
                          Building an infrastructure for networking facilities engaged in clinical trials has been the route chosen by a number of disease conditions.
                          Cancer doesn't even have it,........osiris didn't need one.

Steven while you're at it please post this as an announcement in funding and legislation:
                          March 28-29, 2007

Conference on Adding, Updating and Expanding Spine Centers of Excellence

ACI's second Conference on Adding, Updating and Expanding Spine Centers of Excellence , March 28-29, at the Barrow's Neurological Institute in Phoenix, AZ, will focus on how hospitals can implement successful spine Surgery Program and Service Lines to meet the patient demand, increase market share and enhance revenue.
                          We will explore techniques to evaluate and implement

advanced technology for comprehensive Spine Program Development and to
                          effectively develop, plan, and manage multidisciplinary spine from both
                          administrative and surgical/clinical aspects.
                          REGISTER TODAY! Contact Melissa Tashjian at 414 221 1700 Fax: 414 221 1900 www.acius.net
                          Seems like we'll have many centers to choose from with expertise!!!

Comment

Any neurosurgeon in the US who is interested can easily gain the experience of injecting or transplanting cells.
                            C'mon, DA. Are you cowering?

Can you name 10 centers with doctors who are experienced at inserting cells into the human spinal cord? If not, do you think it would be beneficial for them to learn?

Yet another benefit of a clinical trial network.

A large clinical trial network bureaucracy is a waste of time and money.
                            Quit being so general. Give me specifics. Why and how would a large network of clinical trial centers be a waste of time and money?

If something is out there that really warants a trial, it will happen as Osiris shows, and Geron and Neuralstem believes. They are not waiting for a clinical trial network.
                            Since many of your favorite doctors -- Keirstead, Kerr, McDonald, etc -- disagree with you about the benefits of a clinical trial network, what do you know that they don't?

Tell Senator Graham's office I said "Hi" when you stop by to visit.

Comment

Can you name 10 centers with doctors who are experienced at inserting cells into the human spinal cord? If not, do you think it would be beneficial for them to learn?
                              They certainly don't need a clinical trial network to learn.....

How about adding the expansion of Spine Centers of Excellence event, as sponsored by the Barrow Institute to the announcements at the top of funding, legislation and advocacy?

It's a major event that will have a profound impact on our ability in the US to engage in "stem cell injections", negating the need for any kind of bureaucratic "clinical trial network"
                              Last edited by Faye; 18 Feb 2007, 1:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X