No announcement yet.

My stem cell treatment in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faye Your Actions Are Hurting More Than Just Your Own Son!

FAYE, WHY WOLD YOU WANT TO BITE THE HAND THAT IS TRYING TO FEED YOU?

Originally posted by jaylee
    Blinded by the Glitter of a “World-Class” Stem Cell Researcher

Category: General, Spinal Cord Injury, Cure Paralysis, Cure Paralysis Now, clinical trials — By: Faye on October 18, 2007 at 6:42 pm

As an economist, being traditionally concerned about the efficient use of scarce resources, I’ve always been intrigued by the concept of measuring productivity in research leading to innovation. So I was uniquely pleased to see Fiona Murray’s perspective represented at the Boston Stem Cell Summit, which was held Oct. 2-3, 2007.
    Fiona said that throughout America’s scientific past: there has been "resistance to the idea of studying scientists". The prevailing notion was to "just throw money at them ( for their research) cause they are very special people". So she decided "to study how science is organized, and if scientists are working in the most productive way".
    To do this Fiona decided to "learn from the different models ( for stem cell research) that are going on around the world". One particularly successful model was instituted by the "Monash Angels". Agreements to share stem cell research before publication, were very conducive to speeding up the research. Private Investor funded research like that of the Monash Angels proved to be very productive. The EU is also imposing the need to work together on stem cell research.
    The next day, in a later session about attracting venture capital for stem cell research work, Doug Fambrough of Oxford Bioscience Partners, said that the model of pharmaceutical companies buying out biomed companies after successful stage 1 clinical trials, is going to be replaced by fast tracking small scale clinical trials for stem cell research through stages 1,2, and 3, to quickly provide proof of concept in humans.
    Following this, there were concurrent sessions focusing on the latest advancements and challenges for stem cell research towards the understanding and treatment of Diabetes, Parkinson’s, ALS and Neurological Disorders, Spinal Cord Injury and Paralysis and Cancer. In the Spinal cord injury session Dr. Kessler mentions Dr. Young’s large scale umbilical cord stem cell clinical trials palnned in China, and says they are "doomed to fail". A lot more needs to be learned and simply delivering stem cells isn’t the way to go.
    My comment on is that I have long held concerns about Dr. Young’s $50 million China spinal cord injury trials, as he has previously engaged in large US clinical trials for spinal cord injury that though published, were later found to have manipulated statistics to show efficacy of methylprednisolone where none may have existed. Economists have long coined a truism that if you torture statistics long enough, they’ll confess to just about anything. I sure hope the China clinical trials using umbilical cord blood stem cells are not going to show a similar "concocted" minor improvement. Mostly I fear hope is being mis-directed by a "well-known" scientist, which I find even more reprehensible than when "experimental" treatments are being offered overseas.
    Most consumers of these "experimental" treatments offered overseas, are fully aware not to expect major results.
    The Stem Cell Summit was terrific, and I am glad Fiona Murray was there to elucidate that simply throwing money at scientists is counter-productive. In closing here is another cautionary statement about scientist productivity, which I found on the web today:

"Time and time again around the world, too many (stem cell research) scientists have bent the rules for their own personal gain. Research simply must not be funded without the highest degree of public scrutiny…….

not allow itself to be blinded by the glitter of a world-class (stem cell) researcher."

http://californiastemcellreport.blogspot.com/2007/10/aussie-stem-cell-probe-highlights-need.html

4 Comments

Measuring Stem Cell Researchers’ Productivity

Category: General, Diabetes, Parkinson's, Spinal Cord Injury, Cure Paralysis, Cure Paralysis Now, ALS — By: Faye on October 18, 2007 at 5:23 pm

As an economist, being traditionally concerned about the efficient use of scarce resources, I’ve always been intrigued by the concept of measuring productivity in research leading to innovation. So I was uniquely pleased to see Fiona Murray’s perspective represented at the Boston Stem Cell Summit, which was held Oct. 2-3, 2007.
    Fiona said that throughout America’s scientific past: there has been "resistance to the idea of studying scientists". The prevailing notion was to "just throw money at them ( for their research) cause they are very special people". So she decided "to study how science is organized, and if scientists are working in the most productive way".
    To do this Fiona decided to "learn from the different models ( for stem cell research) that are going on around the world". One particularly successful model was instituted by the "Monash Angels". Agreements to share stem cell research before publication, were very conducive to speeding up the research. Private Investor funded research like that of the Monsah Angels proved to be very productive. The EU is also imposing the need to work together on stem cell research.
    The next day, in a later session about attracting venture capital for stem cell research work, Doug Fambrough of Oxford Bioscience Partners, said that the model of pharmaceutical companies buying out biomed companies after successful stage 1 clinical trials, is going to be replaced by fast tracking small scale clinical trials for stem cell research through stages 1,2, and 3, to quickly provide proof of concept in humans.
    Following this, there were concurrent sessions focusing on the latest advancements and challenges for stem cell research towards the understanding and treatment of Diabetes, Parkinson’s, ALS and Neurological Disorders, Spinal Cord Injury and Paralysis and Cancer. In the Spinal cord injury session Dr. Kessler mentions Dr. Young’s large scale umbilical cord stem cell clinical trials palnned in China, and says they are "doomed to fail". A lot more needs to be learned and simply delivering stem cells isn’t the way to go.
    My comment on is that I have long held concerns about Dr. Young’s $50 million China spinal cord injury trials, as he has previously engaged in large US clinical trials for spinal cord injury that though published, were later found to have manipulated statistics to show efficacy of methylprednisolone where none may have existed. Economists have long coined a truism that if you torture statistics long enough, they’ll confess to just about anything. I sure hope the China clinical trials using umbilical cord blood stem cells are not going to show a similar "concocted" minor improvement. Mostly I fear hope is being mis-directed by a "well-known" scientist, which I find even more reprehensible than when "experimental" treatments are being offered overseas.
    Most consumers of these "experimental" treatments offered overseas, are fully aware not to expect major results.
    The Stem Cell Summit was terrific, and I am glad Fiona Murray was there to elucidate that simply throwing money at scientists is counter-productive. In closing here is another cautionary statement about scientist productivity, which I found on the web today:

"Time and time again around the world, too many scientists have bent the rules for their own personal gain. Research simply must not be funded without the highest degree of public scrutiny…….

not allow itself to be blinded by the glitter of a world-class researcher."

http://californiastemcellreport.blogspot.com/2007/10/aussie-stem-cell-probe-highlights-need.html

1 Comment

Comment

"Fated to succeed"

Quote: "Dr. Kessler mentions Dr. Young’s large scale umbilical cord stem cell clinical trials palnned in China, and says they are "doomed to fail". A lot more needs to be learned and simply delivering stem cells isn’t the way to go."

If ChinaSCINet (the Network) is able to successfully complete the first set of clinical trials to internationally recognized standards, “they are “fated” to succeed," regardless of what science learns from their results.

Why? This means that they will have succeeded in building up an infrastructure for carrying out rigorous clinical trials for SCI in China. This is unprecedented in human history. The Network will then be well equipped to test any therapies that are waiting in the pipeline around the world. Moreover, the infrastructure to be founded will be a huge asset to the field of SCI throughout the entire world. As you may agree, infrastructure of such a kind is desperately needed.

Indeed, the first goal of the Network is to witness the implementation of the first SCI clinical trials in China with, ideally, effective therapies. However, realistically speaking, the possibility exists that therapies to be tested might turn out to be ineffective on humans. As the major fundraisers for the Network, we are mentally ready to undertake any foreseeable challenges.

In this respect, the Network is fated to succeed, again, even if this single or combination of therapies does not fully realize its potential. As a result, these therapies and the effort, and expense entailed in researching them, can then be productively eliminated from the pipeline altogether, in the expenses of the creation of ChinaSCINet. But bear in mind that we should consider any elimination that may be made as an immeasurable finding and contribution to the world of SCI research work.

Under my own observation, ChinaSCINet does not have the least intention to produce concocted data. Likewise, it would be reprehensible of the Network ONLY if they were to abandon their mission in going forward.

Necessarily and by their very nature, clinical trials are doomed to either succeed or fail. If they were certain to succeed, you would not call them clinical trials. So please offer us encouragements in any way you can. Also, any constructive ideas and comments received will be highly regarded and appreciated!!
      Suzanne

Comment

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."--Chinese

" Success in the undertaking depends upon the measure in which that Cause is kept alive and vibrant throughout. It depends upon the frequency with which the initial impulse is re-energized in heart and mind, the degree of adherence to purpose and plan."

" Exercise Will -- initiate action -- assume the position of Doer of that which you desire to achieve! And then, as Robert Crosbie says, depend upon the power inherent within to express what you know and are. There is a magic potency in the first step taken toward a noble end in view."

http://www.wisdomworld.org/additiona...leJourney.html

Comment

Originally posted by poonsuzanne
          Quote: "Dr. Kessler mentions Dr. Young’s large scale umbilical cord stem cell clinical trials palnned in China, and says they are "doomed to fail". A lot more needs to be learned and simply delivering stem cells isn’t the way to go."

If ChinaSCINet (the Network) is able to successfully complete the first set of clinical trials to internationally recognized standards, “they are “fated” to succeed," regardless of what science learns from their results.

Why? This means that they will have succeeded in building up an infrastructure for carrying out rigorous clinical trials for SCI in China. This is unprecedented in human history.
          The last quote is exactly why I feel that Dr.Kessler mentioned what he did. Scientists are also human beings as the rest of us and they also have temtations such as pride. From what I can see, Dr.Kessler doesn't like the fact that Dr.Young shall succeed in something that he is trying to achieve before him, therefore he has to say something. If hs therapy was gauranteed to work, why don't all scientists just work on that, all the funding go towards that, and we shall have a cure here soon! The simple fact is nobody knows what will work better in humans until the trials are done, as you stated Suzanne. I don't know about many scientists, but I dn't think it is right for one to criticise the other, and for me at least it doesn't make me think much of Dr.Kessler as a scientist. I don't think Dr.Young has ever mentioned anything about a scientists work in that way. If only all the scientists were as humble as Dr.Young!

Comment

WSJ article

This article provides some interesting perspective.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...jkwMzI4Wj.html

I would hope and expect any large trial anywhere adheres to the ICCP guidelines.

HARSH TREATMENT
            In China, Brain Surgery
            Is Pushed on the Mentally Ill
            Irreversible Procedures
            Rarely Done Elsewhere;
            A Mother's Regrets
            By NICHOLAS ZAMISKA
            November 2, 2007; Page A1
            NANJING, China -- Mi Zhantao, a poor 25-year-old living with his parents outside this provincial capital in eastern China, was battling depression and had trouble socializing. Doctors said he had schizophrenia. They recommended brain surgery.

Mr. Mi's family spent about $4,800 -- the equivalent of four years' income, and more than their life savings -- on the operation, at No. 454 Hospital of the People's Liberation Army in Nanjing. The highly controversial procedure involved drilling tiny holes in the young man's skull, inserting a 7½-inch-long needle and burning small areas of brain tissue thought to be causing his problems.

The surgeon, who operated on Mr. Mi the day he met him, says he has performed nearly 1,000 such procedures, mostly for schizophrenia, but also for illnesses ranging from depression to epilepsy, since the hospital started offering the operation in 2004.

Mr. Mi's parents say the surgery did nothing but leave their son with a partially limp right arm and slurred speech. He continues to be depressed and withdrawn, his mother says. Wang Yifang, the surgeon, says he checked the medical records and, as far as he knows, the patient left the hospital uninjured.

Mr. Mi's mother, Kong Lingxia, 50, says she'll regret the decision for the rest of her life. "I feel so angry," she says. "But I'm really angry at myself. How could I let this happen?"

The irreversible brain surgeries performed at No. 454 Hospital, which are all but blacklisted for mental illness in the developed world, are being done across China. They are a symptom of the problems plaguing the nation's health-care system, which has left hospitals with scant public funding and hungry for profit.

Some foreign doctors were shocked when told of the number of surgeries Dr. Wang has performed and the problems he was trying to treat.

"It's completely off the charts. If he had done 10, it would be highly controversial," says Michael Schulder, president of the American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery. Such surgery involves locating and operating on specific targets in the brain.

Surgeons operate on the brain for problems ranging from tumors to movement disorders. But in mainstream medicine, the surgery performed on Mr. Mi -- called ablative surgery -- is a last resort for mental illness. It isn't done anywhere in the U.S. for schizophrenia. While the total number of psychosurgical procedures performed in the world is unknown, Emad N. Eskandar, of Massachusetts General Hospital, estimates fewer than 25 patients are operated on annually in the U.S. and Britain. (continues at source)
            Ed from Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by chasb
              "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."--Chinese

" Success in the undertaking depends upon the measure in which that Cause is kept alive and vibrant throughout. It depends upon the frequency with which the initial impulse is re-energized in heart and mind, the degree of adherence to purpose and plan."

" Exercise Will -- initiate action -- assume the position of Doer of that which you desire to achieve! And then, as Robert Crosbie says, depend upon the power inherent within to express what you know and are. There is a magic potency in the first step taken toward a noble end in view."

http://www.wisdomworld.org/additiona...leJourney.html
              Chasb,

Thanks for the above, great sayings......induce great action......

Suzanne
              Suzanne

Comment

Suzanne,
                I have read many of your posts on this forum. I wanted to thank you for all you are doing, towards the spinal cord recovery effort.

Comment

i second that. Suzanne you are so beautiful
                  oh well

Comment

My dears,

My name is Claudia and I was born prematurely at 6 months and 9 days and this leaded to a spastic paralisys. I am 26 now, thank God I can walk on my own and have quite a normal life but I want to improve and if possible get rid of this walking dissability and the stem cells treatment sound encouraging. Could you please tell me more on this, or if you heared of other treatment for my dissability ;-). Thank you all.
                    I am happy for you, for every progress you make in your life ;-) wish you all the best and wonderful surprises every day.

Comment

I just want to walk...

Hi, my name is dave and I just joined here today in hopes of finding new places to look for help and meeting new people in similar situations. I was injured in a car accident on Dec 1, 2005 and am a T-10 paraplegic. I went to Project Walk in CA for a week last year but my biggest obstacle is that I don't have very much support from my family to say the least. I'm willing to try stem cell surgery in China or Portugal and had been in contact with Dr. Huang in China but it is a financial issue; as is any treatment I may receive which is frustrating because my dad lives in a mansion, has a mansion in the Virgin Is. and wears a rolex that if he sold it, would pay for stem cell surgery! What can I do though? Anyway, I actually have recently made the aquaintance of Erica Nader, the first American to have stem cell surgery done in Portugal. I'm hoping if she talks to my father it will make a difference. If anyone has any information on how I might be able to receive therapy or surgeries on a limited budget please let me know. Thanks guys, Dave
                      I'll go on but, I'll never give up. Until the day they close the coffin, I have a chance to walk.

Comment

hi dave,

you may want to go to this event to hear what Hans Kierstead has to say

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/
                        http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Montana, any news?

Comment

Hi Montana,
                            How are you, have the effects lasted?
                            --> What do you or what does anyone think of the fact that the cells are not "HLA matched" what is the idea behind this if people are getting improvments without HLA matched cells, are the improvements transient or short lasting comparred to if they would get HLA matched cells???
                            WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT THIS???

Comment

Guys, don't believe everything you read especially when it sounds so good. What I believe is that there is no "Montana". This tread is just a scam and was made to advertise Beike's new therapy with stem cell back in 2006. This was to good to be true. I know it from my own experience I had with Beike this very last month in Thailand. There is no point for you on checking this tread anymore. This should be reported

Comment

Working...
                              X