No announcement yet.

Clinical Trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great news, clinical trials in europe!
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

Comment

• Originally posted by gretchen
      OK,Schmecky, we get it... you have expressed your views NUMEROUS times : repetitive, boring,and in fact really immaterial! You have accepted your sad lot, good for you: I really could not care less!!

I visit the site to get updates on ongoing research and/or clinical trials. I am interested in facts and I really really do not care to read about anyone's subjective opinion

I really, Really, REALLY Care that He Dosn't Care when Others Don't Care, Whom could Careless.
      Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
      "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
      ====================
      If you stare long enough,
      I may do a Trick....

Comment

• Originally posted by paolocipolla
        EPO VS Methylprednisolone

Clinical trial to investigate the efficacy of EPO to treat traumatic SCI will start mid october in Italy. The projet is a multicenter faze 3 study,12 Spinal Unit will participate to the trial. 100 patient will be enrolled in 21 months. 50 of them will receive methilprednisolone and 50 will receive EPO.
        Patient mast be between 18 and 65 years old, level between C5 and T12, asia A or B. Administration of EPO or MP mast be done within 8 hrs of lesion.

The study will be coordinated from the spinal unit of the “Niguarda” Hospital in Milan, Italy.

Given the situation here in Italy I consider this a Super news!

I also know that a faze 1 clinical trial for CRONICS should start in a few months involving transplantation of fetal neural stem cell. As I know more I will post.

Paolo
        Great, we need trials in europe
        -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Comment

• Anybody knows about OPC stem cell trial ??

Hi all,
          i read about a clinical trial starting at the end of 2007 using OPC stem cell but i cannot remember where and when and i cannot find the news again...
          Does anybody know anything about that?
          Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Davide

Comment

• Why don't these trauma surgeons or neurosurgeons know about this? My husband is a new injury. They only gave him the steroid treatment and 1 month later home we went.
            Nurse Jenny

Comment

• Newest Trials

Just reading the past messages and was wondering if anyone was aware of/ could add to a more current list of upcoming trials? As of the current, I am specifically watching:
              1. Kierstead
              2. Davies/ Decorin & GDA BMP
              3. Cyberkinetics
              4. Neuralstem

To state the obvious, such list is short, but contains what I believe appear to be the most promising/ least detrimental treatments. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by jenny973
                Why don't these trauma surgeons or neurosurgeons know about this? My husband is a new injury. They only gave him the steroid treatment and 1 month later home we went.
                The steroid treatment you're referring to is the only FDA approved treatment for acute SCI. The other treatments mentioned are still in the clinical trials phase.

Mkusiak, there are also the ChinaSCINet trials.

Comment

• any updates on anything working?
                  rob

Comment

• I'm very curious also. Any news on ANY trials showing function improvement?

mark
                    I still play hard http://www.miata.net/motm/2007/thomson.html

Comment

• mkusiak,

To my knowledge, none of the organizations that you name has an approved clinical trial that. Keistead, for example, is working with Geron and that company is still awaiting U.S. FDA approval of the trial. I don't think that Davies is close to a clinical trial for Decorin or GDA BMP; all the work is still preclinical and has some distance to go before clinical trials can start. Cyberkinetics has actually obtained compassionate use approval of the stimulation device but I have not heard that they are actually starting a clinical trial. Likewise, I have not heard that Neuralstem are planning a clinical trial for spinal cord injury.

The treatments that I know are in or close to clinical trial are:
                      • Lithium and cord blood mononuclear cell transplants (ChinaSCINet)
                      • Cethrin Phase 2 (Alceres)
                      • Bone marrow stem cells (Alok Sharma in Mumbai)

I will add to this list later.

Wise.

Originally posted by mkusiak
                      Just reading the past messages and was wondering if anyone was aware of/ could add to a more current list of upcoming trials? As of the current, I am specifically watching:
                      1. Kierstead
                      2. Davies/ Decorin & GDA BMP
                      3. Cyberkinetics
                      4. Neuralstem

To state the obvious, such list is short, but contains what I believe appear to be the most promising/ least detrimental treatments. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Comment

• Cheng had a paper published this month describing a Phase 1 trial of acidic FGF:

Nerve repair using acidic fibroblast growth factor in human cervical spinal cord injury: a preliminary Phase I clinical study.

Object The aim of this study was to assess functional outcomes of nerve repair using acidic fibroblast growth factor (FGF) in patients with cervical spinal cord injury (SCI). Methods Nine patients who had cervical SCI for longer than 5 months were included in pre- and postoperative assessments of their neurological function. The assessments included evaluating activities of daily living, associated functional ability, and degree of spasticity, motor power, sensation, and pain perception. After the first set of assessments, the authors repaired the injured segment of the spinal cord using a total laminectomy followed by the application of fibrin glue containing acidic FGF. Clinical evaluations were conducted 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 months after the surgery. Preoperative versus postoperative differences in injury severity and grading of key muscle power and sensory points were calculated using the Wilcoxon signed-rank test. Results The preoperative degree of injury severity, as measured using the American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA) scoring system, showed that preoperative motor (52.4 +/- 25.9 vs 68.6 +/- 21.5), pinprick (61.0 +/- 34.9 vs 71.6 +/- 31.0), and light touch scores (57.3 +/- 33.9 vs 71.9 +/- 30.2) were significantly lower than the respective postoperative scores measured 6 months after surgery (p = 0.005, 0.012, and 0.008, respectively). Conclusions Based on the significant difference in ASIA motor and sensory scale scores between the preoperative status and the 6-month postoperative follow-up, this novel nerve repair strategy of using acidic FGF may have a role in the repair of human cervical SCI. Modest nerve regeneration occurred in all 9 patients after this procedure without any observed adverse effects. This repair strategy thus deserves further investigation, clinical consideration, and refinement.
                        ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wise Young
                          mkusiak,

To my knowledge, none of the organizations that you name has an approved clinical trial that. Keistead, for example, is working with Geron and that company is still awaiting U.S. FDA approval of the trial. I don't think that Davies is close to a clinical trial for Decorin or GDA BMP; all the work is still preclinical and has some distance to go before clinical trials can start. Cyberkinetics has actually obtained compassionate use approval of the stimulation device but I have not heard that they are actually starting a clinical trial. Likewise, I have not heard that Neuralstem are planning a clinical trial for spinal cord injury.

The treatments that I know are in or close to clinical trial are:
                          • Lithium and cord blood mononuclear cell transplants (ChinaSCINet)
                          • Cethrin Phase 2 (Alceres)
                          • Bone marrow stem cells (Alok Sharma in Mumbai)

I will add to this list later.

Wise.
                          Great News!!!!!!!!

Altho I wonder why Alok charges, while the other 2, do not.

Comment

• Steven,
                            That is great news about the study. Thank you for posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven Edwards
                              Cheng had a paper published this month describing a Phase 1 trial of acidic FGF:

Sounds like some pretty robust results...were there 9 subjects involved in applying the procedure, or were there 9 test subjects?
                              No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Comment

• Steven:

I read this, and although I could understand the gist of it, could you translate it into basic English? I understand the outcome, but some of it went straight over my head and I really want to understand.

Thanks,
                                Liz
                                I wished upon a falling star, I wished it had not fallen...

Comment

Working...
                                X