Clinical Trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Wise,
    My take is that it is not that simple, as one tends to agree upon, like in an environmental wanting environment. I also from my investigations and from what I’ve heard the cord is a bit more complicated than a few up-down axons. Thus my criticisms is not directed at you, or any, but at some that believes that fixing a chronic cord will be easy and relay on injections. You and all have to understand I have super problems by gaining knowledge over the years on such an approach, too ever happen for the chronic cord. Sure I believe in a cure. No problem, but like explained; we know a lot of the human spinal cord, but what we don’t know is much more. Trial and error might aid, nickels and dimes too, but as for that, what is the difference; poor sci’ed donating money needed to something instead of paying for trials when show up (aside of all this I would have used my money on education, work related I mean). My take on all this dilemma is, researchers don’t do research enough (in general); doc’s fly around and sci’ed don’t care. Whilst, like I have repeatedly argued for there is a solution for all this. But all give a damn and don’t listen. The cure is not a solo race, the cure is going after the money which is there ready for research and usage, but all act like not. I give up.

Comment

And time after time this stupid idea occurs that poor spinal cord injured should donate money. This is so wrong and ethically wrong I sometimes want to puke. SCI’ed should not donate. SCI’ed, which by lack of means, should not be trapped into this lost jumbo. Just look at Jim, the founder of a cause of all of this on a Facebook group. Nada money, but an Italian has done better. I personally demand that Jim fraud donate some hard cash. By watching some things here like such things like that, -I give up.

Comment

Here is some info on dogs, cats and horses getting stem cells

http://singularityhub.com/2009/06/25...ment-than-you/

Comment

Originally posted by Leif View Post
          And time after time this stupid idea occurs that poor spinal cord injured should donate money. This is so wrong and ethically wrong I sometimes want to puke. SCI’ed should not donate. SCI’ed, which by lack of means, should not be trapped into this lost jumbo. Just look at Jim, the founder of a cause of all of this on a Facebook group. Nada money, but an Italian has done better. I personally demand that Jim fraud donate some hard cash. By watching some things here like such things like that, -I give up.
          Leif, you just have to do what you belive is the best thing to do.... then time will tell.... you do what you think is right just like other people do...
          But you have to admit that things are progressing toward a cure... and someone is going to get it!

Don't be so negative and nervous, it doesn't help, you know.
          In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

I can say that I really don't know how the facebook groups works when is about raising money, but i can guess. IMO facebook is not enough but Jim is doing a right thing. If we don't care about our cure, why other should pay for our future? We don't have the cure yet. We have to speed up research field. If you don't do research, then put some money there to speed up the process.

I'm a quad and I know that para's can't understand me. More than that, I know that a a lot of able ppl think that when is about paralysis, the walk is the only problem. We all know that is some of the last of our problems. How can we ask to other ppl to care about us, if we don't do something for us? How can we ask researchers to invest their life time to cure us. How can we choose to wait? Is that right? We cannot afford to wait. We have to do something.

If we talk only about this forum, Dr Wise is doing a enormous job for us. How can we thank him? He is going even our neurologists job, and we don't pay him at all. He is a neurologist for world wide ppl with SCI. Imagine your life without informations shared and explained by dr Wise. Have you subscribe(payed subscription) to a medical journal?

I'm not sure, but i think Paulo has donated twice(here I'm talking about the 365$). On facebook he did a good job too invinting others to donate. We have to notice that he is from Europe, but a cure will be for everybody. I don't care about the costs. This cure has to come as soon is possible. Everyone of us has to do something about it. 365$ is not that much especially on western cultures. Ofcorse, others are doing different stuff. I know that Leif is involved in some SCI related action in his country. That's a great thing too.
            This signature left intentionally blank.

Comment

In 1987 Dr. Martin Schwab has find a protein that's stops regeneration and in 1993 about the good combination of IN-1 and NT3. The problem is that Dr Martin sold the patent to Regeneron but they never were interested to invest in spinal cord regeneration. For SCI community this is a big lost. We cannot afford this to happen again.

Dr Wise, anyone, do you know others cases like this?
              This signature left intentionally blank.

Comment

Originally posted by cypresss View Post
                In 1987 Dr. Martin Schwab has find a protein that's stops regeneration and in 1993 about the good combination of IN-1 and NT3. The problem is that Dr Martin sold the patent to Regeneron but they never were interested to invest in spinal cord regeneration. For SCI community this is a big lost. We cannot afford this to happen again.

Dr Wise, anyone, do you know others cases like this?
                Cypresss, I agree that there are many treatments that have been lost and abandoned due to lack of funding. However, Nogo antibody is not one of them. Let me complete the story which you have correct up to 1993.

In 1990, Martin Schwab discovered that a myelin-associated protein stops regeneration. He developed an antibody, which he called IN-1, that apparently stopped regeneration and hypothesized that his antibody blocked the myelin-associated protein. For a decade, he tried to use IN-1 to isolate the protein but failed. He then used brute force techniques to isolate a protein from myelin that stops regeneration and called this protein nogo. As soon as this was reported, Schwab and three other groups simultaneously cloned the gene that is responsible for Nogo in 2000. In 2001, Strittmatter discovered the receptor to Nogo. That year, Novartis licensed Nogo from Schwab and developed a human antibody against Nogo. They have taken this phase 1 clinical trial with promising results and have initiated phase 2 trials in Europe. It has been applied to dozens of patients. We are all awaiting the results of this trial.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Imight View Post
                  Great post.

What methods do you guys plan to use to remove the scar tissue, in order for the cells to facilitate across the bridge? You can not pass a bridge if there's a brick wall there, no?
                  Imight,

If you cut the spinal cord and don't close the dura, fibroblasts invade from the surrounding tissues into the spinal and forms a scar. When this happens, the spinal cord will recognize the non-CNS cells and glial cells will wall off that part of the spinal cord. Yes, a glial scar forms in such a circumstance.

However, this is not what happens in a majority of spinal cord injuries in humans. I have spent a career studying contused spinal cords, the most common form of spinal cord injury in human. When you contuse the spinal cord, there is no penetrating wound and fibroblasts do not enter the spinal cord. There is some gliosis (proliferation of glia) because they repair the blood brain barrier but axons can grow through this area.

In 1997, the Multicenter Animal Spinal Cord Injury Study (MASCIS), a group that I headed, published a paper [1] reporting the histology of 780 rats with contusion injuries and found that 70% of these spinal cords had axons growing into the injury site. We did not transplant into these spinal cords or remove scar. Yet, thousands of axons were able to grow into the injury site.

The scientists who claim that glial scars form and obstruct regeneration all studied models of spinal cord injury that involve cutting the cord. It is like a bunch of blind men feeling an elephant. Those who feel the legs think that the elephant is like a tree trunk. Those who feel the rear think that elephant is like a snake. Those who feel the front think that the animal is a prehensile proboscis.

Wise.

1. Beattie MS, Bresnahan JC, Komon J, Tovar CA, Van Meter M, Anderson DK, Faden AI, Hsu CY, Noble LJ, Salzman S, Young W: Endogenous repair after spinal cord contusion injuries in the rat. Exp Neurol 148:453-463, 1997.

Comment

Wise.[/QUOTE]
                    They have taken this phase 1 clinical trial with promising results and have initiated phase 2 trials in Europe. It has been applied to dozens of patients. We are all awaiting the results
                    dr wise when do you think we will see the results and if the results is good will you than go strength to phase 3 hopeful it will not take 2 or 3 years
                    AS I SIT HERE IN MY CHAIR . I LOOK OUT UPON THE GROUND .I WONDER WILL I EVER GET UP AND WALK A ROUND ??

http://justadollarplease.org

Comment

Nah, you all talk like a bunch that has just robbed a bank. Happy thereafter, but that does not legitimate a bank robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by cypresss View Post
                        I can say that I really don't know how the facebook groups works when is about raising money, but i can guess. IMO facebook is not enough but Jim is doing a right thing. If we don't care about our cure, why other should pay for our future? We don't have the cure yet. We have to speed up research field. If you don't do research, then put some money there to speed up the process.

I'm a quad and I know that para's can't understand me. More than that, I know that a a lot of able ppl think that when is about paralysis, the walk is the only problem. We all know that is some of the last of our problems. How can we ask to other ppl to care about us, if we don't do something for us? How can we ask researchers to invest their life time to cure us. How can we choose to wait? Is that right? We cannot afford to wait. We have to do something.

If we talk only about this forum, Dr Wise is doing a enormous job for us. How can we thank him? He is going even our neurologists job, and we don't pay him at all. He is a neurologist for world wide ppl with SCI. Imagine your life without informations shared and explained by dr Wise. Have you subscribe(payed subscription) to a medical journal?

I'm not sure, but i think Paulo has donated twice(here I'm talking about the 365$). On facebook he did a good job too invinting others to donate. We have to notice that he is from Europe, but a cure will be for everybody. I don't care about the costs. This cure has to come as soon is possible. Everyone of us has to do something about it. 365$ is not that much especially on western cultures. Ofcorse, others are doing different stuff. I know that Leif is involved in some SCI related action in his country. That's a great thing too.
                        Right, Jim is off, Paolo has done more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                          Cypresss, I agree that there are many treatments that have been lost and abandoned due to lack of funding. However, Nogo antibody is not one of them. Let me complete the story which you have correct up to 1993.

In 1990, Martin Schwab discovered that a myelin-associated protein stops regeneration. He developed an antibody, which he called IN-1, that apparently stopped regeneration and hypothesized that his antibody blocked the myelin-associated protein. For a decade, he tried to use IN-1 to isolate the protein but failed. He then used brute force techniques to isolate a protein from myelin that stops regeneration and called this protein nogo. As soon as this was reported, Schwab and three other groups simultaneously cloned the gene that is responsible for Nogo in 2000. In 2001, Strittmatter discovered the receptor to Nogo. That year, Novartis licensed Nogo from Schwab and developed a human antibody against Nogo. They have taken this phase 1 clinical trial with promising results and have initiated phase 2 trials in Europe. It has been applied to dozens of patients. We are all awaiting the results of this trial.

Wise.
                          Pls Wise, not one more word on Nogo.

Comment

In 1990, Martin Schwab...
                            Dr Wise, - we can talk about Schwab until we die. Nothing happens, some just still continues to address this so-called breakthrough, of proteins. You just did it without any hold. My point thus is, why not understand the cord more, by more research? I can’t se you have been too vocal on that. Does that mean we know enough?

Comment

We are all awaiting the results of this trial.

Wise.
                              Dr. Wise. We all know this '02 study and trial is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Leif View Post
                                Dr. Wise. We all know this '02 study and trial is dead.
                                You are wrong, they are starting Phase II

I don't know if the nogo antibody is going to be part of the cure cocktail, you can't tell for sure either.... but for sure the whole study around nogo is contributing to understand better how the spinal cord works. Isn't that what you keep asking for???

BTW Novartis got money for the study from FP7, see proget n°10
                                In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X