Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical stimulation gives hope to paralyzed. we've seen it before but this is cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo
    Hi Suzanne,

For what it's worth, I have a friend who's a low para, he had no spazms, he literaly pushed his legs wth his arms on a FES bike and in about 3 months he got a flicker and then more and more and now they go and he's rebuilt his bulk.

I don't know his whole circumsatanes but could put you in touch if you like.

take care
    Leo,

Sure! Thanks a lot!!

Suzanne
    Suzanne

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with getting insurance coverage for an FES bike in Canada?

I am interested in doing this myself and would love to hear any "lessons learned" out there.

I currently use FES to excercise my legs while sitting in my chair and stimulating the quads while wearing ankle weights - this is to build some strength as I am taking part in a research study with Dr. Stein at the University of Alberta that has me walking under FES using special braces and electrode placement. I would however like to expand my cardiovascular excercise with the bike.

Thanks
      Ben

Comment

Yeaa, I just received my letter from Iowa Medicaid and I was approved. Judy said they would ship one out to me very soon!!

Comment

Hi all,
          I believe in that therapy. 4 months ago, I decided to eat $4K to buy an exercise bike called right here in Belgium "Theravital". This is german stuff and I guess RT300-S is coming from their factory (http://www.medica-medizin.de/de/).
          Theravital is *not* a FES bike, it's biofeedback training. When I began training, I had no activity in my legs. After 4 months the activity of my legs are going up to 10 Watts, spending 10Kcal everyday. I'm T12-L1, 27 yp, I'm aware I'm using hip movements to make the device cycling, but the increase mass of muscles in my legs is stunning!
          What do you guys think about the difference between FES cycling (you can relax yourself and let things happen) and non FES cycling (you have to use strong will and think about what you are doing to cycle)?...
          George

Comment

are these bikes available in ireland? has anyone in ireland tried the bike ?would love to hear about any experiences

Comment

any irish members ? r there any trials in ireland now r the near future? is there anywhere in ireland where we can go to receive help with walking like the treadmills i have seen on other websites c6-c7 incomplete

Comment

Hi I am Irish,

Don't think Ireland is doing any trials but we are doing stem cell treatment for 18,000 euros in Carrigaline, Co. Cork, apparently its on the news today. Just where my parents live and to think I was contacting people abroad. Professor Raisman in the UK is doing some stemcell trials I think on brachial injuries.

Comment

I got my RT300 setup on Saturday. Wow, that is awesome. I have never been on a FES bike before. I rode 10 miles. 11 miles last night. Legs are a little sore. The design of the RT300 is so easy. Just wheel up to it and go. If you haven't seen them check it out.

Comment

Where can I see one?
                    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Originally posted by Norm
                      Where can I see one?
                      NORM, CHECK THIS TO SEE IT.

http://www.restorative-therapies.com...T300/rt300.htm

Comment

ELECTRICAL STIMULATION

We know we discussed OEG/OEC - treatment and STEM CELL treatment. We know cost. We know benefits or no benefits.

Can we talk now about electrical stimulation/FES....

Do you have any experience with that???
                        If so what results do you have... good or bad.
                        I have heard that europeans and others do not use electrical stimulation. Why??? Are they simply less resistant to electrical shock than we are.
                        I find that FES BIKE costs bout $15000 or hmmm....five plasma televisions.

Please post if you have any opinion or experience w/ electrical stimulation.

Comment

hey everyone

I have been using electrical stim combined with a special set of braces and a computer programmed stimulator to both excercise (leg extensions with ankle weights) and walk using a walker. This has been part of a research study being carried out at the University of Alberta.

Since I started the stim I have noticed increased sensation around my right hip, and intramuscular sensation down as low as mid thigh on the right side (higher on the left)

I am interested in the FES bike but would like to find out if insurance in Canada will cover some of the cost

Comment

Originally posted by BigBenny
                            hey everyone

I have been using electrical stim combined with a special set of braces and a computer programmed stimulator to both excercise (leg extensions with ankle weights) and walk using a walker. This has been part of a research study being carried out at the University of Alberta.

Since I started the stim I have noticed increased sensation around my right hip, and intramuscular sensation down as low as mid thigh on the right side (higher on the left)

I am interested in the FES bike but would like to find out if insurance in Canada will cover some of the cost
                            BigBenny, tell your doctor to write you a letter regarding all the benefits you will get if you using the bike to give it to your insurance with the perscription. You have a good chance that they can pay for the bike. Talk to your doctor. Good luck.

Comment

are these bike available in ireland? has any one in ireland used the bike? if so would love to hear how you are getting on. my brother is c6-c7 incomplete he can not walk at all would the bike be suitable for him?

Comment

irishcailin,
                                Call Judy at Restorative Therapies.

Comment

Working...
                                X