Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCI research for a cure – What kind of research do you support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steven Edwards
    Any specifics? Science has proven that transdifferentiation is possible. I will be happy to speak with any scientist you choose about transdifferentiation.
    Maybe to start with, stem cell scientist George Daley from Harward Medical School and Children's Hospital in Boston?

Daley: Exactly. The research into these other methods is valuable in and of itself. It's important basic research. It should be funded, but it should not be funded instead of the embryonic stem cell research that we know works today. That's what's going to get us to medical insights and medical therapies the quickest.

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...155#post391155

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
      Maybe to start with, stem cell scientist George Daley from Harward Medical School and Children's Hospital in Boston?
      I would love to chat with George Daley.

As I said in the other thread, my only arguments are about what's politically realistic in the US. If the NIH cannot fund it, the science won't help us.
      ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Edwards
        I would love to chat with George Daley.

As I said in the other thread, my only arguments are about what's politically realistic in the US. If the NIH cannot fund it, the science won't help us.
        It's an outrage that one man: George Bush, would be allowed to make something politically realistic.

We need to actively expose that, cause that is not part of how democracy is supposed to work.

Letting GWB get away with it witout a united uproar from the paralysis community is a disgrace.

At least the CRPF is still promoting ESCR

Comment

Hi Jadis, there will be a cure in your life time. I don't know how old you are but there will be a cure by 2010. A lack of funding and clinical trials are what's been holding things at bay.

Kerrdouglas,

SCI makes up such a tiny fraction of the disabled population that I don't think the pharmaceutical companies would experience much of a loss if we were cured.

Topics of interest:

Why the SCI Community should continue to press on the ESC issue

Why are embryonic stem cells important?
          Last edited by antiquity; 11 Jan 2006, 3:39 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=seneca]Hi Jadis, there will be a cure in your life time. I don't know how old you are but there will be a cure by 2010.

Hi Seneca,

What is your guess based on?

Paolo
            In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

I am 33, will be 34 in a few months. Good grief I am getting old.
              http://official-linerider.com/index.html

Comment

[QUOTE=paolocipolla]
                Originally posted by seneca
                Hi Jadis, there will be a cure in your life time. I don't know how old you are but there will be a cure by 2010.

Hi Seneca,

What is your guess based on?

Paolo
                Hi Paolo,

All that's happening in the field. The ChinaSCINet's focus on combination therapies, Cethrin recently received orphan drug status, Dr. Raisman will be starting trials soon, the MP has therapies in the pipeline ... we are much further along than we were 5, 10, 20 years ago so this gives me hope.

Summary of the First International Spinal Cord Injury Treatment and Trials Symposium

Echoing Lynnifer, a treatment for chronics won't be of much use to me as far as restoring ambulation but I look forward to the return of BB control and progressing to para status.
                Last edited by antiquity; 11 Jan 2006, 6:49 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=seneca]
                  Originally posted by paolocipolla

Hi Paolo,

All that's happening in the field. The ChinaSCINet's focus on combination therapies, Cethrin recently received orphan drug status, Dr. Raisman will be starting trials soon, the MP has therapies in the pipeline ... we are much further along than we were 5, 10, 20 years ago so this gives me hope.

Summary of the First International Spinal Cord Injury Treatment and Trials Symposium

Echoing Lynnifer, a treatment for chronics won't be of much use to me as far as restoring ambulation but I look forward to the return of BB control and advancing to para status.
                  Seneca,

I agree with what you say, but some days I feel that what we base our hope on is not solid enough... for instance I would like to se clinical trials to go on in the US on a large network with successful results, but about that we are still at the discussion stage (CRPA is still far from working).....

Paolo

Comment

Originally posted by Jadis
                    I am 33, will be 34 in a few months. Good grief I am getting old.
                    <heh>, ...don't tell that to my sons , good griefg girl, you could be my daughter and I still have hopes to compete in 2012 UK Paralympics
                    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comment

maybe so, but I dont feel like I have accomplished anything or made any progress since high school. Therefore, the years have slipped away from me. My 15-year reunion was last year!

Best wishes on the Paralympics!! That would be cool!! My dad is 54, I don't consider him old. He's a hawtie and peeps think he's my hubby when we are out bc he looks so young. Gotta love those Italian genes.

Comment

Paolo,

While I respect Seneca's posts, a cure time prediction is a personal thing. Anyone's guess could be right or wrong. So far, no one has been right.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky
                          Paolo,

While I respect Seneca's posts, a cure time prediction is a personal thing. Anyone's guess could be right or wrong. So far, no one has been right.
                          Shmeky,

I know what you think about that.... we all hope you are going to be wrong...

Paolo

Comment

Originally posted by Jadis
                            maybe so, but I dont feel like I have accomplished anything or made any progress since high school. Therefore, the years have slipped away from me. My 15-year reunion was last year!

Jadis, I feel exactly the same way as you. My time is aot less, 4 years since school, but nevertheless, I feel the same way as you. I suppose I am not in your shoes as you have had 16 years pass since school and I have only had four, but how frustrating is it when other people have done things which you can't because of this paralysis!

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeky
                              Paolo,

Schmeky,

You have probably posted this many times, but I'd like to get your cure time prediction if possible. Thanks in advance and my apologies for asking you to post something you have most likely done numerous times.

Comment

Originally posted by zokarkan
                                Jadis, I feel exactly the same way as you. My time is aot less, 4 years since school, but nevertheless, I feel the same way as you. I suppose I am not in your shoes as you have had 16 years pass since school and I have only had four, but how frustrating is it when other people have done things which you can't because of this paralysis!
                                The crippling pain from the first accident (1998) is when this all started for me. The paralysis didn't happen until I fractured T12 again in June last year--that's when I ended up in the chair.

I just feel like I am constantly starting over. I had finally graduated from college, gotten out of an abusive relationship and left my home state. Within a month of getting here, I was diagnosed with cancer. I beat that and after two years of treatments finally got the "no cancer found" from my doc. I was finally back on my feet--working 45 hours a week, and paying off all my debts. After I was off of the cancer drugs I had energy after work and spent time with my son and do energetic things on the weekend, such as hiking, riding bikes in the park, roller blading, etc. Three months later I was in the car accident--Nov 14, 1998--and fractured 5 T-vertabrae and did soft tissue damage to my neck and right shoulder.

Since then, every thing has been a struggle and a fight just to survive. I curse the accident for that reason. The second accident in 2001 injured the lumbar area added to the problem--walking was excruciatingly painful and using a cane hurt my already injured shoulder. The paralysis actually HELPED in a sick way, because it stopped a lot of the pain that I used to feel in my legs. I still have new hypersenstivity at T12 but even that isn't as bad as my hips and leg pain I had before. Now it's about 1/4 of what I had before. Right now, my toes and feet are tingling and burning. Prior to this it was waist level and down and horribly intense. I cried often bc the pain was so unbearable - even when medicated. I feel like I am JUST NOW getting back on my feet. I am graduating from college in May and will once again start over with a new job, working at paying off debt and getting caught up on all these bills I can't pay (hubby got laid off in Nov).

I support ASCR & ESCR research bc I think stem cells are an important part of our recovery. I honestly don't think the cure is going to happen for me, but I am ok with that. I just don't want other people to struggle like I have. I wouldn't wish what I have went through on anyone. In that accident in Nov, I was the only one in the car. My 4 yr old son was sick so I left him home. This was the first time since moving here that he was not with me. We went everywhere together. My boyfriend was called by the cops and showed up at the scene with my son in tow. The cop, also a friend, pulled me aside and said "Thank God he wasn't with you. With his small body and the force of impact, he would have been killed or crippled in the accident."

I look at him daily and am thankful that he wasn't in the car. The boyfriend and I split not too long after that (I was damaged goods, he says). My son-call him Jello-took care of me since we had no family or anyone here--once Booger came into the picture, he helped my son a lot with my care. To this day Jello is very protective of his mama, and Booger spoils me rotton.

Even though he wasn't with me that day, reality is he could still end up with SCI. After joining this list, I realized that as bad as it was, there are those who have it worse than me, yet have made great strides in their lives. I look to them for ideas and help improving my life. Look how many people on this list have relatives who are also SCI. For this reason, I want to see the cure in Jello's lifetime. We've done enough suffering for the rest of them.

sorry I ramble...

Comment

Working...
                                X