Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China Currently Looking For Western ALS Patients, Brain Damage Patients And Stroke Patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Currently Looking For Western ALS Patients, Brain Damage Patients And Stroke Patients

Well I guess we all should start saving for a trip over seas:

Beike to Treat Foreign Patients Thursday, 15 September 2005 Beike, a bio-technology company that was founded with capital from Beijing University, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Shenzhen City Hall and supported by funds from the China State National Fund, is ready to treat its first non-asian foreign patients. Their research and clinical work comes as a collaboration of Beijing University, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, No. 3 Army Medical University, Zhongshan Medical University, Guiyang Medical College and Zhenghou University. Throughout all of their collaborating laboratories, they have around 60 P.h.D. level or candidate level researchers focusing on stem cell research.

Currently they are in their clinical trial phase for foreign patients after treating more than 350 Chinese patients which means their first foreign patients will only need to pay the hospital charges for treatment. They are currently looking for western ALS patients, brain damage patients and stroke patients. For ALS patients the time period of stay is about 10 days in which patients receive 2 injections. For brain damage and stroke, the stay is about 20 to 30 days with three to four injections. Patients who are interested can send feedback here.

http://stemcellschina.com/
    Last edited by Faye; 09-21-2005, 09:22 AM.

Statement from Dr. Hongyun Huang

Dear everyone, this is Dr. Hongyun Huang from the Neurological Disorder Reserch & Treatment Center(NDRTC) of Beijing Xi Shan Hospital.We have recently found a website called “stemcellschina.com” which may have misled you to believe that there is cooperation between Dr. Huang and “Beike Company” as some of the patients treated by Dr. Huang have had their cases put on the patients list at “stemcellschina.com”. Therefore, here is the statement toclarify this misunderstanding:

1. Dr. Hongyun Huang has never been in contact with “stemcellschina.com” or Beike Company at all.

2. Please take note: up to now what we have used for our procedure are not stem cells, but Olfactory Ensheathing Cells (OEC). These two kinds of cells are completely different from each other.

3. The waiting list of our candidates is currently full until the end of 2007 and there are several more patients with different neurological disorder diseases asking to get onto this waiting list. So it is not necessary for us to look for patients. However, the good news is that we have acquired more wards available for the patients since September 2005 which will shorten the waiting time to let the candidates of our procedure come earlier.

4. If anyone wants to contact us or get the correct information about our procedure, please visit www.nrrfr.com and http://www.nrrfr.com/english_news_xx.asp?newsid=309&btname=Medical .

Yours Sincerely,

Hongyun Huang MD& PhD

Chairman & Prof.

Neurological Disorder Research & Treatment Center

of Beijing Xi Shan Hospital

Shi Jing Shan District

Beijing 100041, P. R. China

Last edited by Y.Wendy; 09-28-2005, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Stem Cell Treatment from Beike

Hey all,
      I think it is great that Beike is ready to give Stem Cell Treatment to foreign patients, however what guarantee is there that it is 100% safe??

And what scientific basis do Beike's claims rest on? A lot of the reason stem cell therapy is not been done thus far is because the technology simply has not evolved enough.

Sure you can argue that it is not been done in the U.S.A. due to restrictions by law but what about an extremely intelligent race and liberal race like Sweden?

I have tried to convince Doctor's and Professor's in Sweden to treat me and they simply won't do it, not due to ethical issues, but due to the fact they don't feel they quite have the capability to do it.

And blah blah I have blabbed on to much but my point is that are Beike working on purely scientific grounds??
      Lets face it, any scientist can cultivate and purify cells.

Not to be negative!!! NAPOLEAN

Comment

Hello Napoleon.

You might be right in your observations. But we can have this type of threatement within a few years... have you seen this one http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52679

Leif
        Last edited by Leif; 09-28-2005, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I assume they are using fetal stem cells from aborted fetuses of weeks 8 through 12. I didn't see mention of cyclosporin or even of predifferentiation of cells in culture. These guys must be looking to replace damaged neurons in the brain for those with ALS, TBI and stroke. Maybe they will one day add spinal cord neuron replacement but at this time it does not look like they are.

We also need to remember that most spinal cord injuries need a regenerative therapy instead of or in addition to a neuron replacement therapy. For most of us, Dr. Huang's OEC would be a better choice. For others needing mainly neuron replacement then maybe this therapy holds more promise.
          ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

It sure is good that they ran out of people with the needed ailments in China so we can get a discount by only having to pay for the hospital. Any documented positive results or just another play to get some $$$?

Comment

Beike

Dear all,
              I have more news about Beike. After corresponding with someone from there about having treatment I found their attitude a little bit lax in many areas.
              One was the area of what science is behind the treatment (and please don't think I am trying to "catch them out" as I am serious about receiving stem cell treatment.) Their attitude behind the 'science' of treatment seemed to be 'Oh lets be honest, who does understand why stem cell treatment works?' (I am paraphrasing, that is not what they actually said but that is what they meant).

Again I am not trying to be negative but I see a lot of smoke and no fire with this stem cell treatment from Beike.

NAPOLEAN

Comment

Dr. Gustavo Moviglia - Regina Mater

Hello everyone,
                On a matter not involving Beike does anyone have any solid information of what the treatment at Regina Mater is like in reference to repairing the Brain via stem cells.

I have read that Dr. Gustavo Moviglia is a genuis and can work miracles.
                However, even though there have been a lot of reported people go to his clinic Regina Mater for treatment (in Beunos Aires) I have not heard one single report, good or bad, about the people he has treated.

I also know for a fact that treatment at Regina Mater costs atleast US$46,000 for around 30 days.

I have heard people have sold their houses just so they can receive treatment at Regina Mater, but I have not heard any solid evidence that the treatment actually works.

Can anyone with information regarding Regina Mater please post me a reply,

Thank you

NAPOLEAN

Comment

come to BrainTalk Communities
                  http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...splay.php?f=77

and read up on this.

there is alote of info on it.

or at build

http://www.magimedia.co.uk/buildforu...2f2b25b2148671
                  ALS/MND Registry
                  http://www.patientslikeme.com/registry

Comment

Thank you for clarifying Dr. Huang because it is certainly worded in a way that suggests your involvement. It is possible that this is one of the outfits Dr. Young referenced below.

A number of places in China are unfortunately advertising for "western patients" and making inappropriate and possibly false claims for poorly described and obscure therapies. People should be wary when they see claims of therapeutic efficacy, scant details about the therapies, and anecdotal reports of therapeutic safety and efficacy. There are many organizations such as these that are taking advantage of the desperation of people, particularly with conditions such as ALS. I strong urge people to be careful and investigate thoroughly and carefully.

Wise.

Comment

Subject: News from ALSA: Stem Cell Treatments in China

Clinical UpdateStem Cell Treatments in ChinaMany in the ALS community are looking for more information about the stemcell treatments being provided in China. At this time, there is notsufficient information about Dr. Huang Hangyun’s work in China to indicatewith scientific certainty that the treatment is safe and effective.Researchers and clinicians advise The ALS Association that it is prematureto recommend this treatment for people with ALS. Although it isdisappointing to all of us not to have definitive and positive results,The ALS Association will continue the dialogue and review Dr. Huang’sstudy results when they are presented. While we are looking for encouraging news about the use of stem cells asan effective treatment for ALS, this is not a simple process. Potentialfuture use of stem cells for people with ALS remains a topic ofenthusiastic and focused research in the United States and throughout theworld. The work to answer key scientific questions and overcome inherentchallenges to the treatment is moving forward. At the InternationalSymposium on ALS/MND in November, results of several stem cell researchstudies in ALS will be presented. ALSA will provide a summary of theseresearch reports on our web site following the symposium (www.alsa.org). In September 2004, Dr. Huang met with a small group of ALS researchers todiscuss the stem cell transplantation he has conducted. Dr. Lucie Bruijn,ALSA’s science director, attended this meeting and asked Dr. Huang severalquestions. Little new information was learned about Dr. Huang’s procedure,and The ALS Association will continue to monitor any news or furtherprogress. A summary of the information ALSA has to this date is listedbelow. • Dr. Huang reports that he has treated 40 people with ALS using spinalcord and forebrain injections, each including 1 million olfactoryensheathing cells. He began his work in this area by transplantingolfactory ensheathing cells into 171 people with spinal cord injury.• There were no data presented from the patients with spinal cord injuryto demonstrate the effects - positive or negative - on any of thesepatients. Video clips were shown for a total of eight ALS patients beforeand after treatment. Two patients did not demonstrate any change in theircondition after transplantation. Data for the remaining patients wasabsent and no long term follow-up data on patients was provided. Withoutpeer review of objective data on each patient before, immediately afterand at specific long-term points following the transplantation, the studylacks sufficient scientific evidence to demonstrate that the treatment issafe and effective.• Dr. Huang reported that within both patient groups (those with spinalcord injuries and ALS), there was rapid improvement of partial function.There were no data or information presented about the long term effects ofthe treatment.• A placebo response to treatment is a well-documented medical phenomenon.Without objective, long-term data collection and/or controls, it is verydifficult to conclude with any scientific certainty that the treatment isresponsible for the positive response.• ALSA staff members have spoken with several patients with ALS who havereceived the transplantation and their family members. Initial responseshave included the return of some function shortly after thetransplantation, but it is unclear how long the initial effects last.• It has been reported that the procedure costs between $10,000 and$20,000 in addition to travel and lodging expenses. Patients are requiredto stay for at least five weeks. The ALS Association remains hopeful and encouraged about the possiblefuture use of stems cells in the treatment of ALS. By continuing rigorousand high quality research, the answers about if and how stem cells can beused effectively in ALS will come. Early treatment efforts that arenegative or inconclusive should not dampen the quest for scientificallyvalid answers and pursuit of stem cells for ALS. See more information on stem cells written by Lucie Bruijn, Ph.D. athttp://www.alsa.org/research/stem_cells.cfm.The ALS Association27001 Agoura RoadSuite 150Calabasas Hills, CA 91301818-880-9007www.alsa.org
                      ALS/MND Registry
                      http://www.patientslikeme.com/registry

Comment

Hey all

Hey All,

This is Jon Hakim. I run the Stem Cells China web site. The goal of the site is to let people outside of China know what is going on in stem cell research and treatment in China. There is a lot going on here and I have met with many people involved including Dr. Huang (yes I know he is not focused on stem cells) both on the research and treatment side. There has been a lot of negativity about China and the treatments here but from what I have seen, there is a lot of research and treatments here of merit. The goals of the site and the work related to the site are:

To increase communication between Chinese researchers/doctors and foreign researchers/doctors.

To increase communication between Chinese doctors and foreign patients who would like the treatments.

And to increase the commuication between the Chinese doctors/researchers.

As I am go to talk to the various groups, I am finding out that they are not communicating with each other - which I have learned from my other work in the healthcare industry here is a standard Chinese phenomena. I am just starting to put the groups together.

The goal for the web site and my work (which is starting out as a hobby to this point but I am hoping will lead to something more - maybe some years later, setting up a hospital?) is to make the information that the Chinese doctors and researchers involved have palatable for foreign consumption. It is not an easy task and I am just starting. I hope to give the industry in Chinese some legitimacy - over time - in the eyes of the foreign community. If I do my best to get as much information and documentation out there with detailed patient cases, interviews, etc. and to help the hospitals, researchers etc. to get the information that the west needs, that should lend some credibility to what's going on over here and should help to speed up the delivery of more effective treatments.

For example, Dr. Yang out of Shengyang hospital has done a clinical trial on 56 patients and has treatment more patients than anyone in the world for diabetic foot using adult stem cells (180+). However, Dr. Yang does not speak English and she has given me her paper that she would like to get published in foreign journals. It is not anywhere close to what is necessary to get published in a foreign journal, so I have put her in touch with diabetes professionals in Ireland who are helping the with the paper.

As I meet other groups that we think are ready to treat foreign patients, we will put them forward as they start feeling comfortable giving us their information / patient experiences. When I get enquiries for spinal cord injuries, or ALS patients that want to be put in touch with Dr. Huang, I forward them on to his assistant - though from the post related to Dr. Huang, it does not seem he knows that. I will do the same as I feel comfortable with other group's treatments.

As for the Beike group, I have seen patients before and after and have seen them help brain damage and stroke patients enough to make them happy. I just went and visited with a patient a little girl who has Guillain-Barre Syndrome and I interviewed her on video. For me the most important question was at the end when we asked her father is she happier than before. He said definitely because the girl could only walk 30 meters before and would stay in the house and now she can walk 2000 meters and is out playing with the other kids. http://www.stemcellschina.com/index....d=51&Itemid=45.

The group has been treating patients since 2001 and I have not been able to locate any patients who have said they have side effects from the treatment (except for a mild fever a day or two after the injections) - but I have only talked to about 25 patients total with the earliest being treated two years ago.

I have talked to patients from other groups as well and they have shown satisfaction. I will do my best to talk to all of the groups out there over time.(Working on the WhoisWho section now: http://www.stemcellschina.com/index....id=3&Itemid=13)

There are a not a lot of facts and figures and details that westerners would want - in the same way that Dr. Huang is not satisfying the western medical practitoners and researchers yet - but I have seen patients improve and feel comfortable recommending foreigners who are interested to come for treatment - especially because at this stage they are not charging people for the treatment though the hospital (not affiliated with them) they treat foreigners at charges for the stay and tests. Foreigners are starting to come and I will spend time detailing their experiences as much as possible throughout their stay in order to let others know about what is available and the actual outcomes of the treatments.

I am doing the best I can with what I have to deal (the information Chinese doctors collect is not a lot) with and as I go forward it will get better. The treatments are not for everyone and I will not lose too much sleep if no foreigners come to China for treatments but I hope that some do and their quality of life is improved. For thos that do I will do my best to help make whoever comes over as comfortable and safe as possible.

I welcome your input and criticism so I can try and make things better and help the doctors there make things better.

I have rambled on long enough here but please ask me questions, I would appreciate it. I will give you the most honest answers I possible can and will do my best to get answers to the questions I don't know about for you. I have a lot of information to pass on but will try not to waste space unless there is a request for the information.

Thank you.

- Jon

P.S.: Dr. Huang, I have gotten permission for all of the patient experiences I have put up on the web site.
                        Last edited by Jonh; 10-07-2005, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Another statement from Dr. Huang

Dear everyone:

Here are some updates about the olfactory ensheathing cells (OECs) treatment in Beijing Xi Shan Hospital:

1. This surgery has already been performed for more than 500 SCI patients, more than 300 ALS patients, and some other cases such as Multiple Sclerosis, Brain Atrophy, Parkinson's disease, Cerebral Infarction and Hemorrhage, Myelitis, Cerebral Trauma, Cerebral Palsy, and Alzheimer's disease. Although clinical results have varied from patient to patient, most of our patients have found that they had obtained functional improvement of various degrees.

2. We acquired another floor in September, 2005 to accommodate more patients. Therefore, the average waiting time has been reduced and most of our candidates can come earlier.

3. Please take note: there are some people and organizations who are trying to treat patients using our name. We are afraid that some of the patients might be cheated or physically hurt by this fraudulent act. Therefore, we recommend that whoever wants to undergo our OECs treatment or get the correct information about our treatment to contact us directly. You may either contact Bird, the assistant of Dr. Huang, via email: Laruku_c@yahoo.com.cn or, put your request on the forum of our website: www.nrrfr.com. We will try to get in contact with you as soon as we receive your message. You can find more details at:

http://www.nrrfr.com/english_news_xx.asp?newsid=354&btname=Medical%20in stitute%20and%20guide.

Yours Sincerely,

Hongyun Huang MD& PhD

Chairman & Prof.

Neurological Disorder Research & Treatment Center and

Department of Neurosurgery

of Beijing Xi Shan Hospital

Shi Jing Shan District
                          Beijing 100041, P. R. China

Comment

Beike Biotech featured in current issue of Business Week!!

Beike Biotech featured in current issue of Business Week!!

MARCH 31, 2006

Innovation
                            By Bruce Einhorn

Blinding Science: China's Race to Innovate

The country is making a move to be a leader in science, medicine, technology, R&D, and energy -- and the government is behind the charge

Looking for the cutting edge of stem cell science? Instead of Stanford or Cambridge or Singapore, consider Shenzhen. That's where Chinese entrepreneur Sean Hu has set up one of the most radical businesses in the field. Hu is chairman of Beike Biotech, a joint venture involving the Shenzhen government, Peking University, and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

Launched last year, Beike specializes in stem cell treatments that doctors in the U.S. wouldn't dare to try experimentally, let alone commercially: taking stem cells from aborted fetuses and implanting them into patients with otherwise incurable diseases.

In the U.S., simply using stem cells from embryos is controversial. That's not the case in China, where regulators are also far more permissive about experimental therapies than their U.S. counterparts. So far, Hu and his doctors have treated more than 100 patients suffering from autism, ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), crippling strokes, and other severe problems. Now, Hu plans to make Beike a nationwide company with global reach. "We will be able to apply the most advanced stem cell technology and use our network to collaborate with foreign biotech companies," he says.

IT'S A SCIENCE. Hu's ambitions -- and the regulations that allow him to operate -- indicate just how far China is going in its attempt to build a more modern, flexible economy. In Beijing, innovation is the buzzword. President Hu Jintao set the tone in January with his call for China to make the transition from a manufacturing-based economy to an innovation-based one. Innovation was a major theme at the recently concluded National People's Congress, with the government unveiling its latest five-year plan calling for big increases in spending to nurture innovation.

China is targeting a broad range of sectors, including some controversial areas such as stem cells, gene therapy, and genetically modified crops; and some areas that the U.S. has long dominated, including software, semiconductors, and space exploration. And China aims to become a leader in emerging technologies such as renewable energy sources ranging from solar, hydro, and wind power to fuel cells. By 2050, China intends to surpass the U.S. and become the biggest player in the world of science.

There are many reasons that Beijing wants to push the innovation agenda. One is national pride: As a great nation that was coming up with innovative breakthroughs when Europe was in the Dark Ages, China believes it should be a leader, not a follower. Another reason is national security. The Communist regime doesn't like being at the mercy of foreigners for key technologies.

CALL TO INNOVATE. There are solid economic reasons for China to reduce its reliance on smokestack industries that have devastated the environment and dramatically increased China's consumption of oil. "The leadership has been searching for a new, more sustainable model for growth for some time," says Richard Zhang, a director at McKinsey & Co. in Shanghai. "With innovation, the hope is that the environmental cost will be much lower."

As a result, the government is aggressively boosting the profile of China's scientists and engineers. Top government officials routinely exhort scientists and business leaders to get with the program and become more innovative. In January, for instance, Vice-President Zeng Qinghong spent the day visiting government-backed labs working on agritech and biotech projects and China's space program......

http://www.businessweek.com/print/gl...331_921612.htm

Comment

Sisters to get Stem-cell Treatment in China

CANOE -- CNEWS - Science: Sisters to get stem-cell treatment in China
                              Sisters to get stem-cell treatment in China
                              By THANE BURNETT -- Toronto Sun

When the Deering sisters fly out of Toronto for China on Sunday morning, they will leave their limitations behind.

Each telling detail has now been carefully documented by one of the country's top neurosurgeons -- as a possible yardstick for things to come.

No one -- not doctors at the Beike Biotechnology clinic who will treat them both with millions of stem cells, and not their nervous mom and dad, who will be there to hold their now weak hands -- can predict whether the pair, paralyzed in a 2004 car crash, will improve over the next month.

But any triumph, no matter how small, and by either Erica or Shannon Deering, will be charted by Dr. Charles Tator, a celebrated neurosurgeon.

This week Erica and Shannon were tested by Tator at Toronto Western Hospital to set the markers before they undergo the stem-cell procedures they can't yet get in North America. Tator, a Dr. Jonas Salk Prize Winner, is a pioneer in head and spinal injuries.

While Tator could not be reached for comment yesterday, a spokesman confirmed the doctor spent 45 minutes with each girl, looking at what they are capable of doing. Combing through their medical histories -- almost mirrors of one another -- he will know what advances they've made on their own through hard physical rehabilitation, and be able to judge any differences to come.

VIDEO TESTAMENTS

When the girls fly back home in mid-January, they will be retested by his team over six weeks.

As more and more Canadians, American, Australians and British citizens seek out experimental stem-cell therapies in countries like China, the patients themselves are becoming test subjects. Those left behind, who also suffer from a host of ailments and broken parts, watch video testaments and pore over blogs written during treatment....

They're putting themselves -- their broken bodies -- to the test.

Their limitations will sit waiting for them here on a doctor's chart.

Beginning in three days, it will be up to a rare science to help push them beyond those tragic restraints.
                              http://cnews. canoe.ca/ CNEWS/Science/ 2006/12/08/ 2687654-sun. html

Comment

Working...
                              X