Discussion of Thread Closure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion of Thread Closure

Suzanne Poon ,my beatiful Lady -I'm really against closing any topics on care cure-(sure its all decided in close circle of mods & Admin)-ordinary members unfortunately have no part in this decision making progress! I'm also against moving topics into members, just because someone starts flaming. Closing & moving topics is unfair, collective form of panishment aimed not at person who started attacks, but at posters who took their time to write their thoughts......

What I'm propsing is to edit flaming posts & give warnings to people who start flaming-3 strikes-and you banned from posting on forums for some time.....came again 3 strikes -you out for longer time........Dont do offence(crime) if you can't do time!

jeff and wise, i'm pertty sure it is doable technically, person can read forums, but unable to post for some time.

It is unfair to people like me who type with one fingure & post in good faith, to remove/close perfect topic just because someone has bad mood that day!

Now back to topic I myself very surprised about this news (believe me I hog lots of info & many members & people trust me their secrets where they go & what therapies they received)........

Moreover, I'm more stunned than anybody here, that Wise, or how Organogel people call him Master of The Board in US (Wise no offence-I just love that definition )-does not know anything...

I 'm also stunned that- no one spill the beans except Andrew out of many people involved.

But what the best lesson wchair can teach people in our condition is patience to wait till our time comes. believe me it WILL COME. Just hope its not a secret DA promised to reveal in may this year......... Btw where is DA, when his 'wisdom' and 'expertize' is most needed lol

I urge everyone not to jump to conclusions until we will have all info to make our own judgement.

thank you
    Last edited by Max; 19 Jul 2005, 4:29 PM.
    http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Originally posted by Wise Young
    Cameljoe and Leif, thanks for your comments. I am not considering closing this thread. We usually close threads for only one reason: when people start attacking each other. Passions are running high and people were criticizing each other rather than just respectfully stating their disagreements. Wise.
    WISE- I disagee on closing whole topic-its a collective form of punishment-punishing mostly posters with good intentions. Please check my previous post in this topic and I hope you might cosider my proposal how to solve this problem

thanks
    http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Comment

Max,

I hate that you mentioned DA

I would hate for him to be proven right, cause I would have to eat a big plate full of Crow! I hate Crow; eaten it many times in the past!!!

Take care of that typing finger Max!

Comment

Originally posted by Max
        WISE- I disagee on closing whole topic-its a collective form of punishment-punishing mostly posters with good intentions. Please check my previous post in this topic and I hope you might cosider my proposal how to solve this problem

thanks
        Max, I am splitting these posts concerning topic closing over to another thread rather than hijacking this thread. I will answer in the new thread. Wise.

Comment

Max,

The infopop software (the previous site) was much more cumbersome and what you suggest would not have been feasible in the past. I therefore started the following policy for the moderators:
          1. Warn. When people start to flame each other, we usually post a warning.
          2. Close. If the flaming continues and is accelerating, we will generally close the thread.
          3. Move. If the thread has little to do with the topic of the forum, we will move the thread to the Member's Only Forum.
          4. Remove. If the remarks are truly offensive, we will remove the posts.

The above approach works. Generally, closing the thread is sufficient to snuff out flame wars. People are always free to start a new thread to continue the discussion. No posts are censored. It is easy to do. We don't have to do it very often, once every few months.

Thank you for your suggestions and will discuss it with the moderators. I do not favor banning members. If we applied that the three strikes rule, many people would be banned from the site. We have in all the time that this site has been working banned only two people and only after repeated offensive behavior.

Wise.
          Last edited by Wise Young; 19 Jul 2005, 4:58 PM.

Comment

DID SOMEONE CALL DA?

my expert opinion is we need to go rough up some researchers. afterwards, put them in a room with lindox and the cluckette's for a few rounds of pecking.

Comment

Just curious

When it is said threads are closed when people attack does that include attacking a public figure, such as calling Kerry a communist?

If so does it include remarks about the MP that they are stalling a cure and are on their yacht?

Point being, some members go on and on without warning while others who say similar stuff get warnings and their threads get moved to members only?

Comment

Originally posted by DA
                DID SOMEONE CALL DA?

my expert opinion is we need to go rough up some researchers. afterwards, put them in a room with lindox and the cluckette's for a few rounds of pecking.
                What are you doing out of politics?
                I will accept the role as the leader of the cluckettes due to most likely being the oldest chickadee in the hen house.

BUT keep in mind DA..my pecking resume is extensive.
                And boy are you gonna pay for this one.
                Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

In fact maybe at this time it would be good to speak up.

Lets take the allegations of fake research thread.

First off I appreciate the thread wasn't locked or moved.

The reason, I think I learned alot about the amount of scrutiny that goes into research. If my challenging pushed the thread into a corner or I was asked to leave CareCure, I never would have had the chance to understand what Dr. Young meant. I also would not have been able to make my point either, that when a researcher misinforms he can affect the lives of many. And Dr. Young picked right up on that and said it must be a zero tolerence situation. Originally in the thread I was reacting to Dr. Youngs defense of the situation. And to me it wasn't good enough. Sometimes issues must be hacked out. I guess it was good that the discussion continued because finally I appreciate the work and scrutiny Doctor Young offers to science, and I know he also understood what I was trying say. Or, maybe when I was better able to get my thoughts together better so he knew what I was reacting too.

Everybody can't be as sweet as Lindox

Some people have different dispositions. Its through discussions and education that things get worked out.
                  Last edited by bigbob; 19 Jul 2005, 6:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindox
                    What are you doing out of politics?
                    I will accept the role as the leader of the cluckettes due to most likely being the oldest chickadee in the hen house.

BUT keep in mind DA..my pecking resume is extensive.
                    And boy are you gonna pay for this one.
                    have i ever told you that i love your pecks...

Comment

Originally posted by bigbob
                      When it is said threads are closed when people attack does that include attacking a public figure, such as calling Kerry a communist?

If so does it include remarks about the MP that they are stalling a cure and are on their yacht?

Point being, some members go on and on without warning while others who say similar stuff get warnings and their threads get moved to members only?
                      I don't know how the other moderators feel but the rule is no personal attacks of other members. I do not consider disagreement a form of personal attack nor criticisms of individuals or institutions who are not members of CareCure. If such criticisms were considered personal attacks, denizens of the Politics Forum would be perpetual sinners, so obviously we do not prohibit criticism of political figures or institutions.

The rule of no personal attacks is necessary because personal attacks often lead to fights that interfere with communication on the site. Obviously, moderators must use their judgment but usually moderators try not to interfere until it is clear that a firefight is developing. I agree that some people get away with more than others. DA, for example, seems to get away with a lot because he can insult with charm and people don't seem to mind as much. If people disagree with another member, they should attack the idea and not the person. We must respect each other.

People who are nice in person often become very aggressive on the forums. The situation is not unlike drivers in New Jersey. New Jerseyans are the nicest people in person but when they get into their cars, they sometimes lose their sense of propriety and concern for the feelings of others. They will not hesitate to honk their horns with the slightest provocation, aggressively cut other people off, and are prone to road rage. I have now met many members of this site in person and in the chatroom. Face to face, CareCure members are very nice to each other. But, on the forums, it is like they have gotten into their cars in New Jersey.

Wise.

Comment

Dr. Young, I agree with your explanation and especially liked your reference to DA's style
                        I agree that some people get away with more than others. DA, for example, seems to get away with a lot because he can insult with charm and people don't seem to mind as much. Wise

DA, how much you charge for lessions?

Comment

To be rough!

Originally posted by DA
                          my expert opinion is we need to go rough up some researchers.
                          I always do that worldwide, not to mention to the researchers within the ChinaSCINet.
                          Suzanne

Comment

Originally posted by Max
                            Suzanne Poon - I'm really against closing any topics on care cure-(sure its all decided in close circle of mods & Admin)-ordinary members unfortunately have no part in this decision making progress! I'm also against moving topics into members, just because someone starts flaming. Closing & moving topics is unfair, collective form of panishment aimed not at person who started attacks, but at posters who took their time to write their thoughts......

It is unfair to people like me who type with one fingure & post in good faith, to remove/close perfect topic just because someone has bad mood that day!

thank you
                            Hi Max, pardon me! I have apologized already in the other thread to those who felt offended by me.

Your one finger has contributed a hundred times as much as others can do on this Forum, bravo!!

Suzanne
                            Suzanne

Comment

Personal attacks! – I’m just thinking load here. If someone wants to close a thread is it just to go ahead with personal attacks then Maybe just the posts should be removed…

Comment

Working...
                              X