Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patent Filed for Novel Bio-scaffold “gel” with Moving Molecules Enhancing Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patent Filed for Novel Bio-scaffold “gel” with Moving Molecules Enhancing Treatment

Bioactive scaffolds with enhanced supramolecular motion promote recovery from spinal cord injury

Z Álvarez 1 2, A N Kolberg-Edelbrock 1 3, I R Sasselli 1 4, J A Ortega 1 5, R Qiu 1 4, Z Syrgiannis 1 4, P A Mirau 6, F Chen 1, S M Chin 1 4, S Weigand 7, E Kiskinis 1 5, S I Stupp 1 2 3 4 8
    Affiliations expandThe signaling of cells by scaffolds of synthetic molecules that mimic proteins is known to be effective in the regeneration of tissues. Here, we describe peptide amphiphile supramolecular polymers containing two distinct signals and test them in a mouse model of severe spinal cord injury. One signal activates the transmembrane receptor β1-integrin and a second one activates the basic fibroblast growth factor 2 receptor. By mutating the peptide sequence of the amphiphilic monomers in nonbioactive domains, we intensified the motions of molecules within scaffold fibrils. This resulted in notable differences in vascular growth, axonal regeneration, myelination, survival of motor neurons, reduced gliosis, and functional recovery. We hypothesize that the signaling of cells by ensembles of molecules could be optimized by tuning their internal motions.

Conflict of interest statement
    Competing interests: A patent pertaining to this work has been filed and is pending: Supramolecular Motion in Bioactive Scaffolds Promotes Recovery from Spinal Cord Injury (inventors: Zaida Alvarez Pinto; Samuel I. Stupp).

DR. STUPP INTERVIEW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xvCE904YU
    C4/5 complete

What is this?

Comment

The “dancing molecules” thing out of Northwestern. VERY preliminary but who knows! Somethings gonna hit at some point!

https://www.anl.gov/article/fixing-s...cing-molecules
      Last edited by Sheri; 5 Oct 2022, 1:28 PM. Reason: Adding link

Comment

Met Samuel Stupp last month and he said they were going to try this on chronic injuries soon. Keeping fingers crossed it works on it's own, but otherwise it will be useful to work with other things.

Comment

Originally posted by niallel View Post
          Met Samuel Stupp last month and he said they were going to try this on chronic injuries soon. Keeping fingers crossed it works on it's own, but otherwise it will be useful to work with other things.
          Yea I met him at U2FP Annual Symposium and I told him to ignore the haters! He also said that his lab will do chronic injuries as well.

Comment

• ncs91
            ncs91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Complete injuries too?
        Working...
        X